Idle banter forum

The mighty Minsk

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

In Phnom Penh I fell in love with a motorbike which sounds like a lawnmower but reminds me of the old British bikes which you could maintain with a adjustable spanner(wrench) and a screwdriver.Does anybody have experience of these lazy beasts? I know the coil tends to go on them but are they reliable otherwise and what price will I pay? I heard of one as cheap as $80.I want a Soviet era one if possible.

#1 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 20:23

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Get the CBR 250 Sayadian. I test drove one, and you won't be disappointed.

#2 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 21:46

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

but isn't that a Honda Madmac? I've suddenly got this nostalgia thing for thumpers.Anyway speed really does kill in Cambodia.It's rare to see me do more than 40kph in the city and the main roads inter-city are a nightmare of blind, idiot drivers.At least the Thais know which side of the road to drive on.In Cambodia mirrors are for checking your zits and it's rare to see anybody driving his Lexus without talking on his cell phone and eating, doesn't really lead to a high level of concentration.

#3 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 01:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Are you telling me the driving in Cambodia is even worse than Thailand? The only places I've been previously where the driving was worse was Somalia and Saudi Arabia. Thailand is high on the list.

#4 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 11:13

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I would say yes.I've driven in Saudi Arabia and it's fast and furious but at least the roads are good and so is visibility.I remember first arriving in Riyadh and heading out to the National Guard School and the expat driving me said;
    'Watch this we're just about to hit Suicide roundabout.'
    Before I had a chance to ask him to explain we hit a massive roundabout at well over 120 clicks with a flyover above and amother road dug out below.I don't know what road rules are in U.S. but in U.K. you are supposed to give way at a roundabout.With a screech of brakes dozens of big motors slowed to let us on.He expained if you try to wait to get on you'd be there all day such is the volume of traffic.We did this everyday for 2 years and I'm still here to tell the tale.Thais are relatively disciplined compared to Khmer believe me.Lane discipline in Bangkok is a revelation after Phnom Penh.For example might is right and if you're driving a big Lexus 4X4 you just hang a left across the oncoming traffic regardless-it's their problem.(driving is on the right in Scambodia) another popular way of turning left is just to drive the last 6-700 metres on the left lane and to hell with anything coming.I was having breakfast last sunday on Riverside and a guy at the next table just had time to say Hi before he collapsed onto the table.The staff told me he'd just finished a 15 hour bender.He slept for 5 minutes then staggered up, finally found his 250 dirt bike,took him 10 minutes to get his leg over the saddle.Last time I saw him he was roaring off at full speed.I wonder if he made it passed the first junction.That is typical.Somalia I haven't got a clue but of course if their Muslims it's all the will of God not your ability to drive.

#5 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 14:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well when I was there (Somalia), there were no police and no government to speak of, so there were no laws and no rules. It was just a free for all. Fortunately traffic was light.

#6 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 14:45

• gersteinrb

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2012

Ahhhh, the Minsk, a fickle Belorussian mistress if ever there was one. I too have been taken by her charm - a coughing, sputtering, belching soviet lady in the truest sense.

I've owned one for about a year now and just went to Saigon to buy another for fun! I'd eventually be interested in selling the one I just picked up.

let me know if you are interested.

#7 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 03:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.