Idle banter forum

Help me out with this check list please!

• mmcphee7117

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2011

I'm heading out in a little under two weeks for 3-4 months and just wanted to go over a quick check list to see if I'm forgetting anything...Thanks for the help in advance....

Already acquired/done-

insurance
    passport
    visa
    ticket
    extra debit card
    backpack
    clothing
    some cash
    told my bank where I am going
    budget (roughtly 25-35/day)
    camera
    wallet with clip
    money belt
    flashlight (head lamp)
    water proof bag for wallet/passport/etc.

I still need-

locks for pack
    return ticket (i'll worry about this in a couple months)
    mini umbrella

Am I forgetting anything? Thanks

#1 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 02:05

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

the good news is that you can get pretty much everything you'll need when you arrive, so no need to worry too much in case you forget something. i usually carry a small first aid kit with me when i travel. you can get something like that at target or walmart for about $1. i like to have a plastic poncho when i travel too just in case i get caught in a killer rainstorm. something like pepto bismol (pink bismuth) in tablet form is nice to have in case you get some stomach cramps and need to travel before you are recovered. same for immodium (lopermide), but only use if you really need to. i like to have some kind of a travel alarm clock for those early morning bus rides that mean you can't over sleep. you'll want a pen for the plane ride to fill in customs and immigration forms for arrival. if there is a specific brand of condom or other toiletry or sanitary product that you prefer to use, you might want to take a small supply with you, but if you aren't picky that stuff is available where you are going. some kind of travel-sized baby wipes and hand sanitizer is useful too - available there but often more expensive. finally, i usually carry bug spray and a hat with me too, but you'll be better off to wait and get those (and the mini umbrella, if you even need that at all) after you arrive. hope that helps. regards.

#2 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 04:23

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

-Snorkeling gear! Though you can buy it in places like Bangkok too of course, or rent Trouble with rented snorkeling gear is that it's usually pretty poor quality and/or worn out and the masks often leak. Plus renting equipment adds up if you you do a lot of snorkeling. If you're not fanatical about watery activities like I am then renting is more logical...depends what you're planning to do.

-A few small clothes pegs don't take up much room and they come in very handy, not just for stopping washing blowing away. Maybe just me but I often seem to stay in places where the curtains don't close properly and when the lights on everyone can see in. Also useful to close gaping mosquito nets.

-a plug for the sink, unless your waterproof bag is big enough to do washing in it too. Flat plug that fits any sink hole if you can find one. Sinks often lack plugs for some reason

-exacto mentioned immodium. I prefer activated charcoal myself (absorbs the bacterial toxins that cause diarrhea but doesn't block you up). You can get it once you're there though. Pharmaceutical products are usually much cheaper in SE Asia than Europe, don't know if it's the same in other places like the US or Australia.

Where are you going?

#3 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 04:54

• mmcphee7117

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2011

Thanks guys. A lot of great ideas. I'm heading to Indonesia first and then working my way up and east theough Malaysia Thailand Vietnam and Laos. After than it depends on how my finances are looking. Unfortunately at this point I'm starting to dip into my post flight budget. I'm trying not to spend too much more over the next couple weeks. I'd really like to get some nice snorkeling gear buy I imagine that can get pricey. I will definitely get first aid and take you both up on some of the other things. Thanks again.

#4 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 05:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Agree with SBE on snorkelling gear (mask and snorkel only though). Don't buy anything too nice though just in case it goes walkabout. I didn't bother with fins though, and was generally fine without them. I did hire some fins once on Gili Trawangan just because the currents were quite strong and I didn't want to end up in Australia!

SBE mentioned clothes pegs. I also carry a couple meters of very thin nylon rope to use as a clothes line. It means I have more options to hang clothes in the room to dry overnight in front of the fan.

I see you have a spare debit card. It is useful to also have a credit card with you, just as another backup. Keep all cards in separate places - ie not all in your wallet.

Photocopy your passport, driver's licence, and email it to yourself. Maybe include your credit and debit card numbers as well (without security id number). I create an 'Important Docs' folder in my online email account that holds my emailed airline tickets, insurance policies and the email containing passport and other docs that I've backed up.

I like having a little caribiner on the loop on the chest strap of my daypack so that I can just clip on my small point-n-shoot camera case. This has been handy for those times when you just want quick access to your camera - eg when riding around on a motorbike - and you don't want to be in and out of your pack.

Speaking of packs... a cover for both your daypack and main back is handy. Aside from protecting your pack from the rain when loaded onto the top of a bus, or dropped into a puddle by the bag handlers on the boat/bus, it will also help keen your pack clean. You'll be surprised what crap the buses carry in the storage areas under the bus along with your packs: oil cans that tip over, leaking buckets of smelly fish gunk, etc.

Finally - a silk sleeping bag liner. The sheets can be less than clean in some places, and you often don't get a top sheet. I like being safely tucked up into my little bag at tonight to keep any wandering cockroaches and other creepy-crawlies off of me. It's amazing how protected you can feel inside one of those bags... :-)

#5 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 07:11

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Whereabouts in Indo? Not easy to get snorkeling gear in some places (even rental).

#6 Posted: 13/7/2011 - 03:27

• mmcphee7117

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2011

I'll be starting in Jakarta and making my way throughout Java towards Bali.

hey do either of you happen to know if there are Jungles in the Java/bali area? My friend and I would like to do some trekking but he doesn't really have the time and I don't have the money to go to Borneo during this part of the trip.

#7 Posted: 13/7/2011 - 23:18

• AsaGislason

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2011

Good advice you have already received but couple of points come to mind. Have you checked your need for vaccinations? Secondly, you talk about needing locks for your bags. TSA luggage locks always best and vital if going to / from / via US

Wish you a safe and fun journey

#8 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 00:44

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There are a few treks like that available in the Meru Betiri National Park. Never done one but my instinct would be to organize your trek once you get there rather than book online in advance. Might well be possible to do it on your own too using local transport and park accommodation (otherwise you might need to add camping gear to that list!)... dig around a bit online and maybe you'll find someone who's written a travel blog or something with more details.

PS Sorry tried to post a link to an example of a trek but the URL was way too long. Try googling East Java trekking or Meru Betiri National Park trekking and maybe some examples will come up.

PPS Should be no problem buying/renting snorkelling gear in Bali. (I'd still be inclined to take my own though)

#9 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 02:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You sound like you're ready to rock. Have a great time.

#10 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 12:57

• Advertisement

• johnbarring-
    ton

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011

Agreed, sounds like you're about ready to go. Have an amazing time!

#11 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 19:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.