Idle banter forum

Silk Liners

• UsTwo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

I've seen a few threads where silk liners are discussed, with opinions for and against.

What I'd like to know is what protection they give over bed bugs. Are the bugs repelled by the silk? Or is it simply a physical barrier?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 09:36

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I would think that the act as a barrier rather than as a repellant, but am not 100% sure. I like them just because I like the feeling of having something on top of me, and many places in Asia don't provide top sheets. Also - they help keep mosquitoes away as well.

Some people soak them in pyrethin to help repel bugs - that may work for bedbugs? I think I soaked mine on my last trip, but won't be doing so on my upcoming trip. I don't like the idea of sleeping amongst the chemicals.

#2 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 09:56

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree with lizzy that it is more likely a barrier than anything else. I purchased a pair of silk liners from a company in New Zealand, where that trouble-maker lizzy lives, and they've been great. They only weigh a few hundred grams, if that, and are useful for an added bit of warmth on those chilly overnight sleeper train rides and for a barrier against things like bedbugs or, more frequently, questionable sheets. My wife loves hers, and I've never heard any negative comments about them. I ordered mine directly from New Zealand, and luckily it was actually delivered to me via US mail, so I guess I dodged a bullet there. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 10:15

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"... where that trouble-maker lizzy lives...."
    That's kinda funny exacto, because what you didn't know is that I was called Lizzy Trouble-maker at school because it rhymes with my last name!

#4 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 12:01

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

PS As much as I would love you to support the NZ economy and buying a silk liner here, they are a fraction of the price in Vietnam if you're heading that way.

#5 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 12:03

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

The question then is what your last name is.

Baker? Doubletaker? Heartbreaker? Coffeemaker?

#6 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 12:12

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Backbreaker? Wheelmaker? Dealmaker?

#7 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 12:39

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

:-)

I paid about 12 euros for a silk liner in a large sports shop chain in France and it was well worth the money. Came in a small drawstring bag so it takes up minimal space and weighs practically nothing. It's so much nicer than using a sarong (or two) as makeshift sheets, less bulky, dries quicker and doesn't get scrunched up or slip off during the night. It's an essential piece of kit as far as I'm concerned but it does depend on what kind of accommodation you'll be using of course.

Thanks for the feedback re soaking in repellent Lizzy. I was thinking of doing that next trip, but probably won't bother now!

#8 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 13:29

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

Love, love, love my silk liner. kept me cool in hot & steamy SEA & is now keeping me warm in cold & wet Dharamsala, India.

#9 Posted: 11/9/2011 - 13:42

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

Just for the record, bed bugs are becoming more and more resistant to pyrethroids, and the amount of repellancy they offer depends on the formulation. So, in other words, using them won't ensure that BBs stay away.

With liners you will have a physical barrier, but it's not 100% effective unless you can zip yourself up inside it. Bed bugs are attracted by heat and CO2 and if they're on the surface of your liner they'll probably find a way inside. Still, better than nothing, I suppose.

#10 Posted: 12/9/2011 - 21:34

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.