Idle banter forum

6 weeks in Aisa

• kiwibro

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2011

Looking to travel around Cambodia Vietnam Laos Thialand for 6 weeks,1st time to that part of Asia,not sure where to start and where to go.I'm into diving so would like to do some dives while i'm there,but also into Temples the culture of the people so get out with the locals and see how they live.History so the vietnam war.
    Budget not to cheap and not to expensive.
    So what i'm asking is where to start and where to go

#1 Posted: 27/11/2011 - 00:58

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

In six weeks, maximum three countries, maybe two would be better. You could do Cambodia, Laos and Thailand or Vietnam. Or just two of them depending on your preferences.

For temples, culture of the people, seeing how they live an obvious choice here is Cambodia. Angkor for temples, for culture and living like locals you could try Kampot , Battambang and/or Tonle Sap.

I'm not into diving but if you want to see the historical side of Vietnam with the war etc, you could probably get some diving in in Nha Trang (anyone like to comment on this?).

So I would probably say, stick to just Vietnam and Cambodia, splitting your time something like 3.5 weeks in Vietnam and 2.5 weeks in Cambodia. Start in Hanoi, spend 11 or 12 days up North doing Hanoi, Sapa and Halong Bay, then hit Hue for history, Hoi An for old school Vietnam and Nha Trang for diving and beaches. Then Saigon and the tunnels for some more history. Then work your way into Cambodia through the Mekong Delta (do independently if you can).

In Cambodia, go to PP, Kampot and Kep for 5-6 days in total. Then go to Tonle Sap, Battambang and Angkor for the remainder, should be plenty of homestay possibilities in these areas.

Connect to Bangkok then from Siem Reap and head home.

#2 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 05:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.