Idle banter forum

Private Messages ?

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I see there is a button for received and sent messages, but no buttons to actually send PM's? Can someone explain this, thanks.

#1 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 18:08

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

As far as I know, you have to find a post made by that person first, then click on the 'Private Message' link under their user name.

If you don't see the link, they don't have PM's enabled.

Raise it with Somtam.. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it to him in the past but I think he had other issues to sort out at the time.

#2 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 18:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes it works as outlined by lizzy. Private messages are disabled by default -- a Travelfish member has to enable them first (in the Member Profile section) then the "Private message" link displays.

Once you've sent a message to someone, they show in the shortcut list in the left column of the member centre in the messaging pages, so you can click on a name there to send a message (or via the link in the forum section - like on this page, under each member name). We think this is a better system than just showing a list of all who have enabled it, as again it encouraging contacting someone you have already dealt with.

They are not enabled by default primarily due to spam. When someone sends you a message, an email is sent to your account notifying you of the message. If we enabled the messaging by default, then new members may start receiving unsolicited emails "You just got a message from X" kinda thing, which we don't think is a great experience.

Daawgon, you asked in the message you sent to me were people actually using it, there's around 1,000 messages in the system. Glad you liked the tshirt :)

If you've suggestions on how to make messaging more visible, please do let me know, but its unlikely we'd enable the system by default.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 17:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to delete private messages? ... By Captain_Bob on 2 Jun 2013 2 811 19 Jun 2013
Private messages - Please read ... By somtam2000 on 3 Oct 2013 0 522 3 Oct 2013