Idle banter forum

Looking for inspiration

• gill1

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2010

Hi

My husband and I are in our early 50's and have decided to take 6mths out to travel. Last year we had 6mths and went to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia, we had such a blast we want to do it all again. However, we do not want to go back to the above - we want to try something new. We are starting with Australia for 1 month then we need inspiration. We are starting next Jan in Aus. Due to our limited funds it has to be relatively cheap once there! Any ideas?
    Looking forward to all your ideas
    Gill

#1 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 09:10

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

If I had that kind of time, I seriously consider spending more of it in Australia. The place is plenty big and there is so much to see, that one month only catches the highlights and you'll spend plenty of cash getting from A to B. You might want to look into one of those backpacker car or campervan long-term rentals. Depending on your funds and how long you stay, you might even try one of the places that buys the vehicle back after you are done. The real advantage of having the car is you can stop wherever you want, camp on the beach, etc.

No matter how long you stay in Oz, the obvious choice from there would seem to be Indonesia. It's cheap, relatively close, and has infinite options for wandering around for several month. Another real advantage is that Bhasa Indonesia is relatively easy to learn for native English speakers, and you'll likely pick up some of the language or maybe even a lot during your extended trip. You might have even picked up a bit while you were in Malaysia.

Depending on how much money you've got, you might also consider a quick visit over to New Zealand. The weather will be best that time of year, and nearly everywhere in the country is like a picture postcard. It isn't strictly backpacker cheap like southeast Asia, however, but you can watch what you spend by staying in backpacker places.

One last possibility is for you to hook in with one of the backpacker bus companies that run routes through Australia and New Zealand. From what I remember, some of them are mostly just transport from A to B, and have set pick-up/drop-off schedules in the different cities people like to visit. Others are complete tours, that take you to off-the-beaten-path spots as well as the usual highlights. At over 50, you won't exactly be the same age as the others on the bus, but if you've got a backpacker background, then you shouldn't have any trouble fitting in either. I'm not much younger than you, and did quite well on a short tour like that out of far north Queensland, another in Turkey, and a third for two weeks in Baja California. The advantage of the bus tours is that the details are sorted for you, you'll get to see lots of stuff you might not otherwise see, cost is relatively cheap for what you get, and you'll likely meet lots of other nice folks on the trip.

I hope that helps. Another six months sounds great. Enjoy.

#2 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 10:03

• truecompani-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2012
    Location India

Think of India for it's vast areas, heritage, history and cheapness when compared with other countries. You can not cover it in one go so will have to come again to complete the remaing agenda. If you have any specific query feel free to write to me at tcompanion@rocketmail.com

Regards-

#3 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 10:10

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

This site is specific to the countries you mentioned along with Laos and Indonesia . . . so I agree with the above post that Indonesia may be relatively cheap and an adventure from Australia (while Laos would be out of the way and you'd have to pass through one of the previously mentioned locations to get there, most likely). Otherwise, in the Philippines they speak a lot of English, there are a lot of islands to explore, and it is cheap. Once you get out of Manilla it is peaceful and relaxed with many options - you could hop Mindoro, Boracay, Coron, El Nido for a couple weeks and really enjoy the tropical islands. Hard to say without knowing what it was you loved about SE Asia the first time.

#4 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 09:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.