Idle banter forum

The Kindle

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I received one as a Christmas gift, and for travelling they're great. Battery lasts forever, and prior to your departure you can download more books than you'll possibly read. The only negative is they don't have a backlit screen (good for reading in natural light though) so when on a bus or in the dark for whatever reason, you need a second light source. But great when reading in bed and better still when reading while eating (no more problem holding the book open when you don't have a free hand). I love the thing.

#1 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 23:18

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I have the cover with the built in light. It drains the battery a little more quickly, but nothing to be too bothered about. Perfect for reading in the evening on a bungalow porch or long bus rides.

#2 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 07:55

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Ditto... the kindle is not only a fantastic travel 'gadget' but also excellent just as home. I find I'm reading more books than before. I've working on Somtam to turn his guides into kindle format for those of us that don't have iPhones. I have the 3G version which has proven handy at times when in remote places without WiFi to do a quick check on emails. It's not designed for web browsing, and the browser is clunky, but it does the job to allow you to do quick emails.

Likewise, I have cover with built-in light. Makes it easy to read in bed at night without disturbing your room mate and you don't have to jump out of bed to turn off the light!

Love it!

#3 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 13:14

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

i like the idea but i have way too many gadgets to travel with already
    macbook pro
    5d and 3 lenses
    iphone..
    I enjoy to go au naturel with an old fashioned book now and again

#4 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 04:34

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I leave my laptop and phone at home when I'm traveling. Couldn't find the time to read 1Q84 while working, and glad I didn't have to drag that tome around with me, along with the thought that I might finish it and have to scrounge about for a next one.

#5 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 06:26

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

I just use the iphone as an ipod really. It's always in flight mode. I would buy an ipod but cant see the point if have something that does the job already

#6 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 06:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.