Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

The Kindle

Posted by MADMAC on 26/2/2012 at 23:18

I received one as a Christmas gift, and for travelling they're great. Battery lasts forever, and prior to your departure you can download more books than you'll possibly read. The only negative is they don't have a backlit screen (good for reading in natural light though) so when on a bus or in the dark for whatever reason, you need a second light source. But great when reading in bed and better still when reading while eating (no more problem holding the book open when you don't have a free hand). I love the thing.

#1 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by caseyprich on 27/2/2012 at 07:55

I have the cover with the built in light. It drains the battery a little more quickly, but nothing to be too bothered about. Perfect for reading in the evening on a bungalow porch or long bus rides.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 27/2/2012 at 13:14

Ditto... the kindle is not only a fantastic travel 'gadget' but also excellent just as home. I find I'm reading more books than before. I've working on Somtam to turn his guides into kindle format for those of us that don't have iPhones. I have the 3G version which has proven handy at times when in remote places without WiFi to do a quick check on emails. It's not designed for web browsing, and the browser is clunky, but it does the job to allow you to do quick emails.

Likewise, I have cover with built-in light. Makes it easy to read in bed at night without disturbing your room mate and you don't have to jump out of bed to turn off the light!

Love it!

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by 9preciousGems on 28/2/2012 at 04:34

i like the idea but i have way too many gadgets to travel with already
macbook pro
5d and 3 lenses
iphone..
I enjoy to go au naturel with an old fashioned book now and again

#4 9preciousGems has been a member since 13/1/2011. Posts: 82

Posted by caseyprich on 28/2/2012 at 06:26

I leave my laptop and phone at home when I'm traveling. Couldn't find the time to read 1Q84 while working, and glad I didn't have to drag that tome around with me, along with the thought that I might finish it and have to scrounge about for a next one.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by 9preciousGems on 28/2/2012 at 06:30

I just use the iphone as an ipod really. It's always in flight mode. I would buy an ipod but cant see the point if have something that does the job already

#6 9preciousGems has been a member since 13/1/2011. Posts: 82

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.