On the party path

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Having never been to Vang Vieng, but having traveled around both northern and southern Laos for three weeks on separate occasions, I never actually saw anything like this. Even on Si Phon Don I didn't encounter any massive party scene the way this gets described, and anyway - if I was in the mood for drugs this article sounds almost more like an endorsement than a solid warning -- "Hey, you ever heard of this place?!?" I've certainly ran into drugs while traveling in Southeast Asia, primarily booze and soft stuff has been around, but it sounds like the focus of this article is the one or two big party spots (Full Moon Islands in Thailand, Gili in Indonesia, Vang Vieng in Laos) without giving a really balanced view of what else is on offer.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/the-high-lands-exploring-drug-tourism-across-southeast-asia/253705/1/

#1 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 20:42

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

God, that's depressing to read!

I was aware of drugs around me in some places, but it's certainly easily enough to avoid. I guess it comes down to whether or not the 19-20 year olds have the desire to avoid it.

#2 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 23:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Life is full of choices and risks and risk / benefit analysis. For some people, the pleasure of using drugs outweighs the associated risks. For some people the pleasure of sky diving outweighs the associated risks. For others the pleasure of sex tourism outweighs the associated risks. Some people like racing cars or motorcycles. Some people like boxing - a few the exceptionally dangerous Muay Thai. Some people are simply risk averse and don't do anything that entails very much risk. I have learned not to pass judgement on any of it, as long as it doesn't victimize anyone who chooses not to play.

#3 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 05:25

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Some people like Salsa . . .

#4 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 22:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would say, however, that aside from the very occassional elbow in the mouth from a lady rotating who's a touch too tall... the risk factor is low.

#5 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 09:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

thing is you are going to die no matter what you do...might as well enjoy life while it lasts rather than hiding under the bed

#6 Posted: 30/7/2012 - 21:10

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Surely the bit about getting prescription drugs in Thailand is poor journalism.He must mean Cambodia where everything can be bought over the pharmacy counter.I know there are actual signs near KSR in the pharmacies' windows saying.
    'Don't ask for Diazepam.' Prescription drugs like Xanax are not available in Thailand

No mention of the most popular drug in Thailand, Cambodia or did I miss it? Yaba, Yama, Crystal Meth etc. Now that stuff makes people completely off the planet if they use it regularly.

The place I stayed at near KSR was stinking of ganja and I thought Thailand had a clamp down!

and then there's heroin.God knows the number of people who've OD'd in Cambodia because a) they thought and were told it was cocaine or b) they are used to the low percentage stuff in the West and don't realise China White is sometimes 90% pure.

#7 Posted: 31/7/2012 - 03:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.