Idle banter forum

The name change game

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The older I've gotten, the more I've begun to wonder about this.

Some places change their name for political reasons - there was some sort of sea change and a city or the country itself was renamed. Hence we end up with Ho Chi Minh city or Zimbabwe. I kind of get these ones even if I don't always acknowledge them (for political reasons as well).

Others, though, are stranger. How did Peking go from Peking to Beijing? Or Rangoon to Yangon? If it was just linguistics seeking a more accurate pronunciation, then why does Koeln remain Cologne and Muenchen remain Munich?

Thoughts?

#1 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 13:40

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The pronunciation of Chinese never changed. What changed was the system of romanizing Chinese.The spelling "Peking" is probably from the older Wade-Giles system which has been supplanted by pinyin.

The advantage to pinyin is that the spelling is closer to the actual pronounciation. While in the Wade-Giles system, only the those familiar with the system knew that Peking was pronounced more like Beijing.

#2 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 20:41

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

A good recent article about the developer of the system:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-17455067

Many of the problems with the Wade-Giles format came from their being to closely associated with the more Southern Dialect- so the famous Kowloon (Cantonese) area of Hong Kong is actually Jiulong in Mandarin which is nine dragons. Hong Kong is in fact Xianggang (fragrant harbour) to mainlanders.

#3 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 21:13

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It works both ways London is Londres to the French.the above writer is correct as far as languages which have to be transliterated.The one thing I refuse to do is call Saigon some stupid commie name which takes half hour to pronounce.We all do it-why because that's the way it is.My girl takes no offence when I call Moskva Moscow.BTW why do you Americans rhyme Moscow with cow as in the animal?

#4 Posted: 29/3/2012 - 23:18

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Have you seen the babushkas?

#5 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 01:47

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

LOL.

Anyway, there are a lot of distinctions when it comes to name changes. The above are correct but there are several other reasons.

- english/roman names may change but for many local people the names remain the same in their own language. (China)
    - after liberation from colonial/suppresive powers a country wants to emphasize this and go back to previous names as a statement (South Africa, India, Myanmar) and strength of own identity
    - names just change. Some or most european cities names can be derived from latin because that's when the first names were given. Most have changed however to a more modern form. Some keep changing with the winners (Strasburg (german)/Strassbourg(french))
    - language itself is fluid. Many cities or countries were spelled differently 100 years ago while they were exactly the same cities and pronounced the same.

#6 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 02:36

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

What gets me is how "Bangkok" ("village of plums") is really the old name for part of what's now Thonburi. In the late 1700s the capital was moved across the river and named "Krung Thep" ("city of angels", actually the name is much longer but that's the shortened version), which is what all Thais refer to the city as today, but for whatever reason foreigners stuck to calling it "Bangkok" until now.

I wonder why "Krung Thep" never caught on...

#7 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 07:29

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Have you seen the babushkas?'
    Frightened me to death.

Is that true that Bangkok means village of plums?
    I'd never heard that before; so Travelfish is certainly educational ;-)

I know Krung Tep is only a shortened form-you have that funny little squiggle underneath in Thai to denote this.Most Thais call it Krung Tep so it's strange farang call it Bangkok.
    Why is Nakorn Ratchasima called Korat?
    Why is Kuala Lumpar called KL? All Malaysian cities seem to have these abbreviations.

#8 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 08:57

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Why is Kuala Lumpar called KL? All Malaysian cities seem to have these abbreviations.

Peter Farb discusses this in his book "Wordplay." There is an economy of saying two syllables versus four or more syllables. So "Los Angeles" becomes "L.A." You also have "Frisco" for San Francisco, etc. At least that is what I can remember,

#9 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 10:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Is that true that Bangkok means village of plums?"

It's one possible explanation for the origins of the name. There are a couple. Bangkok is not a direct translation of anything. What is known is that the name if much older than "Krung Thep" and, in a sense, much more Thai. But today when not talking to foreigners, Thais mostly refer to the city as Krung Thep. However, on the sides of at least some of the buses going to Mukdahan from Bangkok, they will read บางกอก which is Thai for Bangkok. But most buses do not use it. Not sure why some going to Muk do.

#10 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 14:20

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, it won't let me post Thai script. Not sure why.

#11 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 14:20

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Mac
    Have you installed the font on your computer?

#12 Posted: 30/3/2012 - 23:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yeah, I type in Thai about every week (and painfully slowly I might add). Not sure why it didn't take.

#13 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 00:30

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

#14 Posted: 18/4/2012 - 05:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.