Idle banter forum

New Plague in Bangkok----False advertising

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

While browsing the news on Yahoo today there was a picture ad come up and there was the headline. " New Plague in Bangkok, If you live in Bangkok you need to read this " The picture featured people all dressed in their biological protective gear. Knowing it was an ad, I clicked anyway just to see what they were saying. It was an ad for bedbug protection and the article was about the bedbugs in the hotels of the USA. Nothing about Thailand. This kind of stuff just chaps me royal !!. As many people are just scared about catching minor colds in asia, now there will be many associating this new scare about Thailand without bothering to digest the article.

#1 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 19:47

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Actually, the ad might be location tagged so that you see it as a New Plague in Bangkok but someone who searches more about China sees it as New Plague in Shanghai, etc. etc.

#2 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 21:41

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Reading about this made me think why do all these idiots walk around in surgical masks in S.E. Asia? Even the girl in the air-conditioned bank I went into the other day had one on!

#3 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 04:24

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Casey....Never thought about that as I was severely irritated this morning. :)
    Sayadian.....I think a lot of that has to do with spreading disease. If someone is a little sick and still has to go to work they will wear a mask. Disease has been known to spread quickly and be fatal in asia in the past as you probably well know.

#4 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 05:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Neosho
    The problem is those masks are not real surgical masks and don't do a whole lot to prevent the transmission of disease - making them somewhat comical.

#5 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 07:03

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

There are times that I have been tempted to get one of those masks when driving on a motorbike on those long dusty roads - just to help keep some of the dust out of my lungs. But otherwise, I just don't get it wearing them on planes, around town, etc.

#6 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 15:31

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I feel the same way people. I was just saying I think that's why they do it. In China I seen a lot of people wearing the big plastic tinted face shields like someone grinding metal would use. I found out if was so they wouldn't get dark from the sun. Atleast that one worked. :)

#7 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 19:26

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I did some work with a mask company in Hanoi last year - not the surgical style though, the fancy patterned ones. Although one might expect that they are to protect from pollution (or certainly, this is what Westerners think they're for), in reality (1) most of them don't filter out the most harmful pollutants anyway and (2) they're used more as a sun-protector / warmth in winter. Although not the nicest things in the world to wear, I do often wish I'd put one on as I feel the dust filling my lungs and the insects flying into my mouth. At least they protect from that.

#8 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 03:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.