Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

New Plague in Bangkok----False advertising

Posted by neosho on 9/4/2012 at 19:47

While browsing the news on Yahoo today there was a picture ad come up and there was the headline. " New Plague in Bangkok, If you live in Bangkok you need to read this " The picture featured people all dressed in their biological protective gear. Knowing it was an ad, I clicked anyway just to see what they were saying. It was an ad for bedbug protection and the article was about the bedbugs in the hotels of the USA. Nothing about Thailand. This kind of stuff just chaps me royal !!. As many people are just scared about catching minor colds in asia, now there will be many associating this new scare about Thailand without bothering to digest the article.

#1 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by caseyprich on 9/4/2012 at 21:41

Actually, the ad might be location tagged so that you see it as a New Plague in Bangkok but someone who searches more about China sees it as New Plague in Shanghai, etc. etc.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by sayadian on 10/4/2012 at 04:24

Reading about this made me think why do all these idiots walk around in surgical masks in S.E. Asia? Even the girl in the air-conditioned bank I went into the other day had one on!

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by neosho on 10/4/2012 at 05:57

Casey....Never thought about that as I was severely irritated this morning. :)
Sayadian.....I think a lot of that has to do with spreading disease. If someone is a little sick and still has to go to work they will wear a mask. Disease has been known to spread quickly and be fatal in asia in the past as you probably well know.

#4 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by MADMAC on 10/4/2012 at 07:03

Neosho
The problem is those masks are not real surgical masks and don't do a whole lot to prevent the transmission of disease - making them somewhat comical.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by busylizzy on 10/4/2012 at 15:31

There are times that I have been tempted to get one of those masks when driving on a motorbike on those long dusty roads - just to help keep some of the dust out of my lungs. But otherwise, I just don't get it wearing them on planes, around town, etc.

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by neosho on 10/4/2012 at 19:26

I feel the same way people. I was just saying I think that's why they do it. In China I seen a lot of people wearing the big plastic tinted face shields like someone grinding metal would use. I found out if was so they wouldn't get dark from the sun. Atleast that one worked. :)

#7 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by travellingsarah on 11/4/2012 at 03:33 TF writer

I did some work with a mask company in Hanoi last year - not the surgical style though, the fancy patterned ones. Although one might expect that they are to protect from pollution (or certainly, this is what Westerners think they're for), in reality (1) most of them don't filter out the most harmful pollutants anyway and (2) they're used more as a sun-protector / warmth in winter. Although not the nicest things in the world to wear, I do often wish I'd put one on as I feel the dust filling my lungs and the insects flying into my mouth. At least they protect from that.

#8 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.