Idle banter forum

Interesting article on the issues facing Vang Vieng

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi saw this article in the paper this morning with some quotes from Travelfish admin. Thought people might like to read this.

cheers

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/party-town-20120411-1ws39.html

#1 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 19:05

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Kids today...

Actually kids always.

VV is a place for risk taking. If you're not a risk taker, don't go.

#2 Posted: 12/4/2012 - 13:08

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The problem with that statement, MM, is that I believe VV has some of the most spectacular scenery in the country and I would have loved to seen it even though I had no interest in tubing. But the thought of drunken, obnoxious, disrespecting idiots put me off going there, as I know it does many others. And that's a pity for travellers who miss out on seeing something great, and for the locals who perhaps don't get a chance to meet well-behaved travellers.

In other words, not only do they ruin a place for the locals, they ruin it for everyone else.

#3 Posted: 12/4/2012 - 14:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Liz
    Laos is a pretty big country, with lots of scenery. There are a coupel of places, with VV at the forefront, that have full on party scenes. The basic arguement you make above is that there shouldn't be any places with full on party scenes. Everyone doesn't like nature. Everyone isn't interested in breathtaking scenery. And everyone doesn't care if someone doesn't like what they think of them or their countrymen. There's room enough in Laos for everyone, but the cultural tourists seem to think that the country (and perhaps all countries) should be reserved for their ilk, and all others are persona non-grata. It smacks of elitism.

VV is the Daytona beach of Laos. And the Laos created it and they profit off of it. So be it.

#4 Posted: 12/4/2012 - 14:59

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I totally agree Lizzy. Started writing a reaction to swag's post yesterday but couldn't phrase my opinions as politely as you did so I zapped it!

You'd be persona non grata in Vang Vieng MM, you're way too old. Closed shoes and long pants? Hell no, look around you dude, that's totally culturally unacceptable here. Go somewhere else old man, this is our place.

Smacks of elitism to me...

A surprising number of those youngsters (probably deeply insecure with a desperate need to blend in) seem to think that being cool necessarily involves acting like a brain-dead lemming and jumping off cliffs or going tubing while on the verge of an ethylic coma. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together would realize that such behaviour is bound to result in accidents.... like death, severe injury and permanent disfigurement for the rest of your life . All travel insurance policies specifically exclude self inflicted injuries under the influence of drugs and alcohol. That leaves Mummy and Daddy to pick up the tab and it might cost them their house that they've spent a lifetime working to pay for. Personally I wouldn't bother saving an offspring who demonstrated that level of stupidity....they might breed. Besides if you're old enough to travel on your own then you're old enough to take responsibility for you own safety. Girls who vomit over their sparkly flipflops and then pass out might not be a particularly attractive proposition but they're there for the taking. Bareback freebie anyone?

And letting someone squirt lime juice on your eyeballs is not a sign you're a really cool dude, it's a sign you're a highly manipulable imbecile.

That's all.

#5 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 02:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Closed shoes and long pants? Hell no, look around you dude, that's totally culturally unacceptable here. Go somewhere else old man, this is our place."

Your place? I thought you didn't like VV?

And yes, I have ZERO interest in VV (although the water sports look like fun), that much is true. But that doesn't mean I want to take it away from the kids who like it. Everyone doesn't have to be me. There are places in SEA that I can (and do) enjoy, like Issan. There are places that the party kids like, like VV. There are places that beach goers like, places that cultural tourists like. We aren't all the same in our likes and dislikes and I don't believe we should be trying to shape the environment for a narrow interest group. Like I said, it smacks of elitism.

"A surprising number of those youngsters (probably deeply insecure with a desperate need to blend in) seem to think that being cool necessarily involves acting like a brain-dead lemming and jumping off cliffs or going tubing while on the verge of an ethylic coma."

That is up to them - not you or anyone else. That's kind of my point.

"Anyone with two brain cells to rub together would realize that such behaviour is bound to result in accidents.... like death, severe injury and permanent disfigurement for the rest of your life . "

You ever box? Tough sport. Could result in any of the above. But that doesn't mean people don't have a right to engage in it. We all don't share the same interests, likes or dislikes. Why is that a problem for you?

"All travel insurance policies specifically exclude self inflicted injuries under the influence of drugs and alcohol. That leaves Mummy and Daddy to pick up the tab and it might cost them their house that they've spent a lifetime working to pay for."

That's between the individual concerned and mommy and daddy, not SBE or any of the rest of us.

"Personally I wouldn't bother saving an offspring who demonstrated that level of stupidity....they might breed. "

My suspicion is you don't have any off spring. There is nothing I would not do to save my daughter.

"Besides if you're old enough to travel on your own then you're old enough to take responsibility for you own safety."

This is true, which brings us back to the basic issue of free will. Something you seem to have a problem with.

"Girls who vomit over their sparkly flipflops and then pass out might not be a particularly attractive proposition but they're there for the taking. Bareback freebie anyone?"

Again, there's no law against being stupid is there? You can disparage the behavior. It's not unique to VV however. College kids often do this kind of excessive crap. It's not my thing, but it doesn't have to be. Who am I (or you) to tell these kids what to do? Not my business. If the Laos authorites think it's a problem (or the authorities at Daytona or the authorities at Ibiza or wherever then they are free to do something about it. But if they are willing to let it go on (and profit from it) and the kids are willing to engage in it then so be it. It sounds like some here simply want Laos to be preserved as their own version of a backpacker paradise and if that means keep the Laos impoverished and keeping out people they consider "undersireable" that's a good thing. And I'm saying it's not.

#6 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 02:50

• Bartje83

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2012
    Location Netherlands

Is it just me, thinking most of the critical people here sound like grumpy old people looking down on `kids nowadays'?

Seriously, who writes 'probably deeply insecure with a desperate need to blend in' about people drinking? Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy.

#7 Posted: 9/5/2012 - 05:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey who you calling old! ;-)

Think VV is a mixed bag. There are lots of places with people (of all ages) behaving like ridiculous idiots, but few get quite the press VV does. It would be interesting to read a story that was talking about that.

#8 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 04:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Interesting Article ... By Tilapia on 28 Sep 2011 11 2154 30 Sep 2011
An interesting article: Thai mores and sexpats ... By sayadian on 18 Apr 2013 23 3448 5 Jun 2013
Riverside Boutique Resort, Vang Vieng: #1 on TripAdvisor and first luxury hotel in Vang Vieng ... By svriverside on 16 Aug 2013 0 1307 16 Aug 2013
Vang Vieng - New hotel - Villa Vang Vieng Riverside ... By charlass on 6 Jan 2011 0 4481 6 Jan 2011
Vang Vieng or Vieng Xai and Phonsavan ... By coralidiote on 6 Dec 2013 2 836 13 Dec 2013
Vang Vieng ... By clairebike on 4 Nov 2009 2 3489 20 Nov 2009
gym in vang vieng? ... By zeus911 on 13 Mar 2010 3 4935 15 Mar 2010
Instead of Vang Vieng... ... By JavaJunkie on 4 Feb 2010 11 5299 24 Sep 2011
Big Changes in Vang Vieng? ... By ehenness on 31 Aug 2012 90 19750 13 Oct 2013
vang vieng? ... By jasonkim8486 on 21 Oct 2009 1 3829 21 Oct 2009