Idle banter forum

Traveling to the USA

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I'm taking my annual trip home to see the family. Other than Mad Cow disease, the occasional outbreak of Salmonella, Tea Party crazyies and bankrupting healthcare, what else do I need to worry about. I'm taking some cheap Thai meds with me just in case.

#1 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 08:48

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Watch out for "evil doers." :o

#2 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 10:16

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey neosho,

Where is the family?

Every time I've returned to the states after a long trip, I've had a bit of price shock on what things cost, particularly if I've been in southeast Asia. There doesn't seem to be much talk about it, but higher oil prices have really driven up the cost of most things here. So be prepared to swear under your breath (or maybe even out loud) at what things cost.

Also, be prepared for everyone here to seem stupid. It isn't that we're all that much more stupid than folks elsewhere, but whenever I come home from a long time abroad, I sort of expect to fit in more than I do, and the way people behave seems so odd. Anywhere else that is not an issue, but because it is my home country, it always bugs me more here.

Finally, if you are a beer drinker, prepare to be amazed. Depending on where you visit of course, you should find some seriously delicious, well-made local and regional brews. Even well-know beer snobs like Tilapia appreciate the quality and variety of what is being brewed stateside these days. This is not your father's PBR or Hamms.

I hope you have a good trip. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 19:38

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I know this isn't a beer thread - but I have to say that my home state of Michigan doesn't have much going for it except a thriving micro-brewery industry that is considered top in the nation by many micro-brew advocates. If you're in country and want some beaches and brews - bring your tourists dollars to the state with some of the highest unemployment in the country!

#4 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 20:01

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

As a native of Flint I second Casey's plea!

But I lived in Vermont for 10 years and few places can compete with its microbrew scene, especially east coast side.

#5 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 22:41

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Like Otter Creek in Middlebury.

#6 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 08:57

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

Yup, or Switchback in Burlington.

Okay, this thread is making me home sick......

#7 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 10:40

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Thanks guys but I'm more of a whiskey person. Yet there's nothing like a good beer on a hot summer day.
    Exacto......Family is kind of spread out in the region but I live in southwest Missouri, close to Arkansas and Oklahoma. Small town so beer is limited to the brand names. As for going home and feeling different. Maybe it's because going overseas gives us the chance to hear different views on topics. Not just the american spin that our news and those around you put out. Kind of hard to go into the local VFW and take up Russia's views on a missle defense system. I have to stay longer than normal this year because both my daughters are pregnant with their first child, 3 months apart. Looking forward to that but not the electioneering that will be going on.
    Casey and Dluek....You guys did get hit hard and have been for many years. Down here it's more of an agricultural base. I hate to say it but the tornado that hit Joplin Mo last year has helped pick up some of the employment slack. I'm only 15 miles south of that.
    My original post was more of a throw back to some of the questions we get on here. It's like some of the people think they are going into the jungle to look for Dr. Livingstone.

#8 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 22:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.