Idle banter forum

How was your Gap Year

• robertlewis-
    uk

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

I'd love to hear from people who have taken a Gap Year / Career Break. I'm keen to hear your experiences, both good and bad and would you recommend it?

#1 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 11:12

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I didn't have a gap year. In fact, until I lived in Europe, I'd never heard the expression. All my friends graduated high school and either went to college or went to work. I finished graduated from college and went straight into the Army.

My gap year is now. And it's lasted 5 1/2 years and counting. And it's been good.

#2 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 13:57

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I'd didn't have a traditional gap year experience either, but I did take some time off college between my sophomore and junior years. That time included some significant travel.

I'm a big fan of that type of experience. Be it volunteer work or military service or foreign travel or whatever it is that fits your situation, interests, and budget, I think everyone should have some major life experience that marks the transition into full adulthood. It gives you time to look around and see what else there is in this big world, but it also gives you the chance to realize just how much you can do and just how capable you are. It is a big boost of confidence and ability.

Like MADMAC, I hope to have a later-in-life gap year too, to mark my transition into retirement with more time for fun stuff and no deadlines.

Anyway, what did you have in mind Robert? What about some travel in southeast Asia and casual work in Australia, for example? Cheers.

#3 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 14:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.