Idle banter forum

Korean backpacker beaten up by Greek police

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

There's a report on the BBC News site this morning about a Korean backpacker who was apparently mistaken for a migrant and subsequently beaten up by the Greek police. Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20958353

It's sad when racism takes hold in a country like that.

#1 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 03:44

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

[img]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chrisi_Avgi_Logo.svg[/img]

#2 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 05:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"There's a report on the BBC News site this morning about a Korean backpacker who was apparently mistaken for a migrant and subsequently beaten up by the Greek police."

As if somehow it would be OK if he had been a migrant. WTF?

#3 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 09:12

• billytheliar

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2012
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 19

A deeply phobic society, a police force that voted in the last elections 40-50% for the neo-nazis, a nation that believes that it is the salt of the earth, a migrants' nation that hates migrants, east-european migrants who attack african or asian migrants, an unbearable situation in Athens with broad no-go aereas after dark, poverty, desperation and humiliation (the beggars of Europe) - no, it doesn't look good at all.
    Is fascism possible in a west european country of the 21st century? Hegel wrote : History teaches people that history doesn't teach people.

#4 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 10:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"History teaches people that history doesn't teach people."

Ain't it the truth.

#5 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 20:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As someone who hasn't been to Greece since I was a kid and haven't really followed the scene there at all, it's pretty eye-opening stuff.

The Greeks are a substantial ethnic group in Oz (which I'm from) and I remember reading (somewhere!) Melbourne has one of the biggest Greek communities in the world -- funny how a nation whose populace has immigrated so far and widely is in a large part so hostile to inbound immigrants on the home turf.

@casey that image you tried to embed is an .svg -- the image handler chokes on that - .jpg or .gif only (I think!)

#6 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 21:05

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Okay - I was just highlighting how much the Golden Dawn symbol looks like a Swastika. Right now I'm in the middle of teaching our Life in Nazi Germany Depth Study so I'm inundated with fascist imagery.

#7 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 21:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Unfortunately the cultural values of peoples from the Balkans have slowly morphed into an acceptance of a lot of criminal behavior. Greece is sadly not a big exception to this. Regrettable especially given it's magnificent history and contributions to the world's cultural and political heritage.

#8 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.