Idle banter forum

Hobbies - do you pursue them while on vacation?

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

One of the subjects I haven't seen come up, but seems natural enough to me, is pursuing your own hobbies while here. Whenever I go anywhere, I look to see if there's a local salsa dance scene. I'll also look for Thai chess players (the game being popular in Cambodia and Laos as well). I love to play. And I like to fight. Right now I am training in Tae Kwon Do to keep myself fit and keep my weight down. I included a recent exhibition I fought when I was in Kalasin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmGv1hNbVDQ

So do any of you have hobbies you pursue when you come here to see how that interest perhaps differs from your home country?

#1 Posted: 11/4/2013 - 11:51

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

No responses yet? There's your answer I guess. I do pursue my interests but I try to do things I don't do every week. I like snorkeling, kayaking caving.

#2 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 07:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yeah, funny. Either people don't have serious hobbies or they abandon them (which is hard for me to imagine) when they go on vacation.

I'm getting ready to hit the road and I'm taking my TKD gear with me. Next month, going to Bangkok, and I'm going to dance my ass off and play some chess with the taxi guys. I guess I'm an outlier there too.

#3 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 07:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Travelfish started as a hobby :-)

I'm a bit of a map nut and really enjoy walking out the towns and hand sketching maps -- sometimes an interesting map can be as little as a 100 metre road, but marking points of interest/quirky stuff on it -- I don't do it freehand as much as I used to as, at least for TF purposes, now I use a phone so I can get long lats etc, but on this Burma trip, with no data on the phone, it has been fun sketching out stuff.

Always good to have pen and paper.

#4 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 08:01

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I'm a pretty decent athlete but when I travel then I rarely bother running, maybe occassionally just to ease the guilt of neverending eating and drinking, but almost never.

Why bother. You've paid big bucks to go around the world, why waste time doing something you can do at home.

#5 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 08:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well China, you eat at home, you sleep at home, and you do those things when you travel. But for me the big connection is people. If I go to Bangkok and go dance, I meet people. I have some very good friends now because of that connection. If I go to Khon Kaen and go to TKD, I meet new people and make new connections. I like that. If I go to Pattaya (which I seldom do) and play chess with the taxi guys, I meet new people and do it around a common activity we both can appreciate. I like the people dynamic, which is why I pursue my hobbies when on the road.

#6 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 13:19

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I have a Canon DSLR camera that I only use while traveling. I still don't know how to use it well but I've been practicing for my upcoming trip. I've found that it's a good way to meet new people and make new connections, since there's always loads of fellow travelers with camera gear.

It reminds me of a funny thing that happened when I first got my camera. A few years ago I was living in a rural town in South Korea so I joined a local photography club to meet some new people. No one spoke a word of English and my Korean wasn't good enough to pick up on the photography vocabulary. They kept trying to explain some advanced shooting techniques but I couldn't understand. Eventually they'd set up the camera for me on a tripod and apply all of these manual settings. All I had to do was look through the viewfinder and press the button. Then they'd look at my photos and praise me about what a great photographer I am. This happened all day. I learned nothing but took some great photos... lol

#7 Posted: 12/6/2013 - 20:15

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

MM - I don't even think your comment warrants a response but are you suggesting that a good way to travel might be to forego eating and sleeping?

I'm all for meeting the locals but I don't think I will do that if I go running, which was my original point. But then again running can be quite an antisocial sport that doesn't lend itself easily to meeting people.

#8 Posted: 13/6/2013 - 05:30

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"why waste time doing something you can do at home"

I agree in part with that but it depends how good it is. Thailand has good snorkeling/kayaking for cheap prices and if I do that at home it's really pricey. Massages, food and some other things are also much cheaper.

If it's raining I might play cards which I do at home a lot but normally would want to do something different.

#9 Posted: 13/6/2013 - 09:35

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"I like the people dynamic, which is why I pursue my hobbies when on the road"

You live in a small town and it sounds like you get lonely out there and need to meet people.

#10 Posted: 13/6/2013 - 09:38

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"You live in a small town and it sounds like you get lonely out there and need to meet people."

I live in a small city - not a small town. There's 50,000 people in the city and tens of thousands more in the immdiate environs. I've always been this way. More interested in people than things.

"I'm all for meeting the locals but I don't think I will do that if I go running, which was my original point. But then again running can be quite an antisocial sport that doesn't lend itself easily to meeting people."

I used to love to run, but I can't anymore. Back won't take it. I'm lucky I can pursue dance and TKD. Of course, running is, as you point out, not really a social hobby whereas fighting, chess and dance are.

#11 Posted: 13/6/2013 - 10:49

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I wouldn't call anything less than 200,000 a city.

#12 Posted: 13/6/2013 - 18:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It's a provincial capital with the characteristics of a city. You could qiubble on numbers, but it's certainly big enough that I don't get lonely.

#13 Posted: 14/6/2013 - 02:52

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I can beat the computer on level 4 chess now. Still anyone who is experience would smash me. I lack the patience to spend much time planning moves.

#14 Posted: 26/8/2013 - 11:07

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I got big headed playing chess in my early twenties. Then I played an exchange student from India. Beat me like a redheaded step-child, he did.

#15 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 10:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

IF you play on facebook, you'll get to play players from everywhere. I like that feature and use it regularly. It gives me an inflated 1,700 rating too, which is great for the ego.

#16 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 10:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I got 459,000 on Zuma. Beat that!

#17 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 10:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.