Idle banter forum

Say whatever you like

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Talk about anything you like. No set topic.

#1 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 10:08

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Nice thread title, at least we can't be accused off veering off topic now!

What did everybody do today? I sat in my offfice and tried to look busy.

#2 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 10:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I trained again. My left foot is sore as hell. I'm going to have to rest it. It's just about useless for kicking.

Worked with my daughter in math. Her long addition and subtraction skills are good. Time to go to division and negative numbers. She loves math (I hate it, but first grade math I can handle).

#3 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 11:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And China, without going into specifics, what was the real deal on your "experience"?? Local or import?

#4 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 11:23

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I just started laughing when I seen this. Sweet.

#5 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 11:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hey it's creative. I like the approach. Only the hard core posters will come to this thread.

Now where's China?

#6 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 11:41

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I showed my students 13 Days (Cuban Missile Crisis) and drew allusions to intervention in Syria. Obama wants to drag us into another word because his reputation is on the line - in many ways that is the forgotten history of the bluster that Kennedy was doing with the blockade. He'd been up against the ropes after the Bay of Pigs, Vienna Conference and Berlin Wall. What a joke that Obama just did this to himself by making a redline that he really had no mind to act on. Now he has to or Iran/other will not take him seriously in a future situation that is not a proxy war but a more direct confrontation.

#7 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 18:35

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I was sick of threads being shut down when people were having interesting conversations.

I love cheese. Converting Thais to cheese is difficult but the soft cheeses like Camembert and Brie they will like.

#8 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 19:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"I was sick of threads being shut down"

Easily avoided by keeping discussions on topic. Perhaps you need to go sign up at the forum over at www.convertingthaistocheese.com

#9 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 20:08

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

SAT practice:

Chou doufu is to foreigners what blue cheese is to ____________ .

#10 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 20:13

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

What does it matter if topics change over time? They are the most interesting threads. Otherwise it's 58,000 topics about weather and where to meet people.

#11 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 21:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@Leonard It matters because I prefer to keep the threads on topic -- that makes the threads far more useful for people who are looking for specific answers to specific questions.

Also, can you stop posting comments that really add absolutely nothing to the discussion (like the find a travel mate one, where I've just deleted your post for the third time) All you're doing is bouncing a post back up in a way that adds nothing useful for the person who asked the question.

Thanks

#12 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 21:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I'm asking questions. Can you please stop deleting questions for no reason. Thanks.

#13 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, just to expand on the ontopic bit -- if members want to have convos about Thais and cheese or the mating of the Mongolian butterfly or whatever, I have no problem with that -- as long as it is in Idle Banter or Politics -- I don't want them flowing off the main destination etc boards.

The problem is when a member asks a question about I dunno, how do I get from Phuket to Bangkok for example and the question gets answered but then goes sideways and ends up as a 60 post thread where 3 are relevant to the OPs question and the rest relate to butterflies in Austria. I don't want this for lots of reasons, but the two most important are:

a) to the OP it's a crummy service.
    b) it means a post titled "how do I get from Phuket to Bangkok" keeps getting surfaced back up on the homepage when it actually has nothing to do with that topic anymore. That's a crummy service for new readers who come in, look at the post and say WTF is that all about, I just want to know how much the bus costs.

Thanks

#14 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:13

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"All you're doing is bouncing a post back up"

So you'd prefer no responses and a totally dead forum.

#15 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:14

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@Leonard - a post which in its entirety reads "oh dear" is not a question -- nor an answer.

#16 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:15

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@Leonard - I'd rather have no responses than ones that are pointless.

#17 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:17

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

somtam, i think you have control issues. Travellers would get a few laughs out of the topics covered more than anything. if the threads are totally boring people disappear and then there's no regulars to answer any of the questions.

sure get rid of swearing and the like but the other stuff is more positive than not

#18 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:17

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"oh dear" is not a question -- nor an answer."

because you deleted my questions twice for no reason.

#19 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The two questions were directed to Madmac -- not the OP -- and were irrelevant to the OPs question. They added nothing to the thread. If you want to ask M about why he doesn't like travelling with his wife, you're welcome to start that as a thread in Idle Banter -- that's what it is there for.

Obviously I have FAR better things to do with my time than culling posts like this, and I'd really prefer not to have to do it -- I'm supposed to be motorbiking around Chumphon at the moment, but instead I'm having this conversation with you, on a topic I've posted about previously and which you don't appear to think is a fair approach.

There are two entire sections of this board that were set up primarily to keep these type of conversations out of the destination part of the board -- I'm sorry if that isn't sufficient for you, but that's what you've got.

This is how it is.

#20 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"What a joke that Obama just did this to himself by making a redline that he really had no mind to act on."

I agree this was foolish. In the Army we say never issue an order you can not or will not enforce. It attacks your credibility.

Having said that, I think he should just suck it up on this one, and if that causes some shitty state like Iran to miscalculate and we have to bomb them, so be it. The use of state violence is a serious issue and should not be determined by issues of credibility. These are peoples lives we're talking about here. Not some abstract. Syria is a basket case, and I'm sorry about that, but it's not something we can really do anything about. We are not going to invade with ground forces, which is what it would take to unscrew that cluster. So... leave it alone.

The US military is tired and it still has a difficult and ongoing conflict in Afghanistan. We don't need another one.

#21 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:31

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

This brings back memories of Bruce Moon! haha

Leonard, notice he hasn't deleted this thread because it's on topic...the topic being everyone can say whatever they'd like.

If you want to have conversations that don't relate to the thread then you can start a new thread or find one that already exists that's related to the topic that you wish to discuss. Otherwise people will see a topic on the forum that interests them and see nothing but posts that seem frivolous....surely you can see how this has a negative effect on the website.

#22 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 22:51

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Somtam..... I understand
    Madmac......I agree with your last comment. Even kids learn to quit kickin sleepin dogs.

#23 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 23:27

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You can sense there's a deep reluctance to start another war even though the moral justification for intervention is far more obvious than it was for Iraq.

I watched an interesting discussion about Syria and oil geopolitics on Al Jazeera yesterday. Syria is a very minor oil producer. It's the fear of war that drives oil prices up and benefits oil investors. Stockmarkets are very jittery about an expansion of the conflict affecting other major oil producer countries like Iran, Qatar, Saudia Arabia and Russia.

If wars were started to take over oilfields then they are always failures. Iraq now exports less oil than it did when it was under sanctions. Libyan production is less than half what it was before the war. Other oil producers make up for the shortfall (and benefit from the higher oil prices of course) but there's a limit to how much shortfall even Saudi Arabia can supply... it won't able to cover for huge producers like Iran and Qatar. US has been stockpiling oil for months and is fracking like mad.

The price of a barrel of oil is calculated to rise to $1.20-$1.25 if there's a war in Syria. It's also been calculated that for every $10 rise in the price of oil, the global economy falls 0.5%. Oil investors would benefit from a war but nobody else would...which could explain the ambivalence about starting this one.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/countingthecost/2013/08/2013830101357981700.html

#24 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 02:53

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

With respect, I don't think oil considerations have any place in a discussion about the current situation in Syria. Even in Iraq I think they were overblown.

I see Russia's stance appears to have softened (although talk is cheap), they said they may support a strike if there was proof that the chemical attack was done by the regime.

#25 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 03:25

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thought this piece in The Atlantic was very balanced.
    http://m.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/09/your-labor-day-syria-reader-part-2-william-polk/279255/

#26 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 03:32

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Favourite Beatles song?

I'll go for "In My Life", although I'd probably say something different tomorrow.

If you happen not to like the Beatles then don't make a disparaging remark, just don't respond.

#27 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 09:05

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I never knew The Beatles sang McAlpine's fusiliars.

You are all wrong about Syria. Assad is winning so U.S.A. wants to even things up a bit to prolong the conflict. It's a logical move for as long as AQ are fighting there they won't have time to plan knocking down another American landmark. Somewhere in the Pentagon is a brilliant strategist.

#28 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 10:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Beatles suck. Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Hendrix and others are heaps better. The Beatles produced fairy music.Most of it was cheap pop crap.

There's so much better music out there. Luther Allison, Son Seals, Albert Collins and most of the masses have probably never heard of them because they live in a top 40 bubble.

#29 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 10:36

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

All about opinions Leonard, and yet again when you don't agree with someone else's you go off on one.

I am far from a "top 40 bubble" fan but The Beatles are my all time favourites.

Anyway, thanks for responding so predictably!

#30 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 10:44

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Well it is my thread. You can like the Beatles all you like. I think they are grossly overated. Beatles were the top 40 stuff of the day.

#31 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 11:09

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Oh yeah, I'll tell you something
    I think you'll understand
    When I say that something
    I want to hold your hand
    I want to hold your hand
    I want to hold your hand
    Oh please say to me
    You'll let me be your man
    And please say to me
    You'll let me hold your hand
    You'll let me hold your hand
    I want to hold your hand

*********he loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
    She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
    She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

You think you lost your love,
    Well, I saw her yesterday.
    It's you she's thinking of
    And she told me what to say.

She says she loves you
    And you know that can't be bad.
    Yes, she loves you
    And you know you should be glad.

Amazing lyrics - sort of stuff Justin Bieber comes up with

#32 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 11:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

You say you want a revolution
    Well you know
    We all want to change the world
    You tell me that it's evolution
    Well you know
    We all want to change the world
    But when you talk about destruction
    Don't you know you can count me out

Don't you know it's gonna be alright
    Alright, alright

You say you got a real solution
    Well you know
    We don't love to see the plan
    You ask me for a contribution
    Well you know
    We're doing what we can
    But if you want money for people with minds that hate
    All I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Don't you know it's gonna be alright
    Alright, alright, al...

You say you'll change the constitution
    Well you know
    We all want to change your head
    You tell me it's the institution
    Well you know
    You better free your mind instead
    But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
    You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow

Don't you know know it's gonna be alright
    Alright, alright

#33 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 11:51

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Is everybody drunk tonight?
    The difference being the former is Paul McCartney (if I hear 'Hey Jude' one more time I'll commit hari-kiri) and John Lennon ( a poet). A genius killed in the good ol' USA.
    How about
    'Back in the USSR' by John Lennon.
    I so miss it. Jobs for life, homes provided, cheap transport unlike America with it's poverty and The Tea Party.

#34 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 12:56

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There's a new site called Topsy that lets you search for every tweet anyone's made since 2006.

Nobody has said "I'm in Pyongyang" on twitter for 3 months.

#35 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 16:27

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Yes Lennon I can cop but Paul geez his songs are awful. Is Hey Jude the worst song of all time or what? If someone less famous did it no one would buy it.

Saya, lots of poor people in Russia and the former USSR.

#36 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 21:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Of course, the reason John Lennon was killed in the USA was because he wasn't in the USSR. I wonder why? The CIA must have forced Lennon to move to the US and leave Jolly 'ol England!

#37 Posted: 4/9/2013 - 21:53

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Leornard
    I think Madmac got it. I was being satirical.
    Madmac
    Jolly good, bobbies etc. Do people in U.S. still see it like the Roger Miller song? Nowadays, most people don't speak English in British cities.

#38 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 02:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Isn't England full of pakis and west indians now?

#39 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 09:33

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It's full of every nationality under the sun. Still it makes for interesting dining.
    I'm still wandering whether Madmac has been to the UK since old ladies sat sedately eating cream teas whilst 'bobbies' cycled past.
    Nowadays the old ladies hide behind enclosed, guarded estates whilst the police look like robocop.

#40 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 10:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

The beauty of excessive immigration. At least it has boosted the sporting teams. Half your cricket side is S African while half your runners are black.

How come it's England when it's rugby but Great Britain in the Olympics? Seems cheating is ok for the Olympics.

#41 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 10:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Hell Sayadian how would I know? I haven't lived in the US since 1996. I'm a little out of touch.

#42 Posted: 5/9/2013 - 11:05

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I have reason to believe that Leonard tortures fluffy kittens.

#43 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 06:14

• billytheliar

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2012
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 19

The ultimate challenge for adventurous female travellers : Athos, the "Holy Mountain"

#44 Posted: 6/9/2013 - 15:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Have been offline for awhile - it's good to see everyone still alive and kicking and stirrig up discussion! Had a nice little laugh at this thread.

What did I today? So far, I'm on my second coffee, and had nasi goreng and telur rebus for breakfast. After my first bite, had to pick the 'green beans' out of my nasi.... turns out they were chilies. Just a bit too much to handle first thing.

#45 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 18:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I can't do SEA breakfasts - such as they are. Flavor wise, the only thing that works for me is coffee with those little fried dough things. Joke and so forth; no way.

#46 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 00:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Right. Madmac, you want to know and remember the name of those 'little dough things'?
    Easy. Think maybe baseball.
    Bat and go. Say it fast and that's the name for them. Now you'll never forget. I guarantee.

OK next lesson. Have a look at the Thai word for museum. Another easy to remember.
    Oh yes, and that rice porridge they serve is a joke!

#47 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 01:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Asian breakfasts - agree jok is a bit of a meh, but bubur ayam (rice porridge with chicken, loaded up with chillies, toasted garlic and other random stuff) and bubur Manado, both in Indonesia are fantabulous breakfasts -- if you get a good one.

In Thailand, I'll generally go with a chilli loaded pork fried rice with an egg on top or maybe a soup -- the ABFs are invariably mediocre and, at 80-150 baht a pop ridiculously overpriced.

Vietnam and Laos, pho.

Cambodia stuffed bagutte.

Singapore just a coffee.

Malaysia, either roti or some random curry on rice.

Across the board though, local coffee is invariably better than the 3in1 Nescafe rubbish, but you often need to specifically ask for it, as locals seem to often assume you just want nescafe. I didn't realise Chumphon had such good coffee, but it is extremely good -- thick and syrupy and gives you enough beans to paint the guesthouse -- which in the case of most of the places I've been staying at, would have been a good idea.

#48 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 04:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Gracias.

I asked the wife. Took her forever to figure out what I was asking, but she calls them "Battanggo". Baht - Tahng - Go" All one word. Needed some tonal and vowel help to get it right.

#49 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 04:16

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The best place to buy coffee in Thailand is from those little carts in the street. Though I confess I sometimes use the 7-11. I think the nescafe is stronger than in Europe. Everywhere in Cambodia does good coffee as of course, does Vietnam. Geng for breakfast in Thailand.

Somtam
    'Cambodia stuffed bagutte.'
    Not with pate, surely! That stuff has a bad enough reputation in The West for food poisoning. I've always imagined it would be a death sentence in Cambodia.
    Another thing I won't touch is the cockles. My home town is by the sea and I eat plenty but if you leave them in the sun for half an hour they stink. How come those Cambodian cockles stay fresh?

Oh yes, and the Thai for museum- P. Peter Pan.

#50 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 05:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@sayadian - they don't call them stomach torpedoes for nothing.

I had the cockles only once, on the way home after a rather late night at Snowy's across the river. Never again. I don't think they are ever fresh.

#51 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 06:31

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Well I've eaten spiders, duck foetus and locusts but I draw the line at cockles and pate. ;-)

Gonna get my blender out and make a special burger for Madmac with all the above. Well, he says he likes burgers.

#52 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 08:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Ahhhh, Sayadian, I think I'll have to take a pass on that one.

My sense of culinary adventurism is limited. If it looks bad, smells bad, or just gives me a bad vibe, I ain't eatin' it.

#53 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 11:13

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I love the traditional Thai coffee Oriang/Oliang.

Apart from that I'm a bacon and eggs guy. Medium cooked bacon (not common in Thailand as they burn the crap outta it) and medium eggs with a soft top.

Rice soups I can handle but not a huge fan.

In Chumphon at the guesthouse we stayed at the bacon was about 2cm long and cooked dead 10 times over. Couldn't help but laugh. The woman manager looked about 32kgs - I could see why she was so small.

#54 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 20:05

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Banana/blueberry/strawberry shakes go well too. A good quality icecream and some fresh mint to top it off.

#55 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 20:07

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I don't get up in time for breakfast.

#56 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 22:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Neosho, you never did answer the question on the issue of the two Swedish girls?

#57 Posted: 8/9/2013 - 23:29

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

MADMAC, what is it with you and Swedish girls lately? Are you finding it hard to understand that they are generally hot stuff?

Well trust me, they are.

#58 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 03:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The point wasn't whether or not Swedish girls are hot stuff (not my style - but hey, it's a free country). The question was why the allusion to Swedish girls when talking about a trip to SEA? Why not a reference to Thai girls, or Cambodian girls, or Vietnamese girls. Leonard had a theory on this one, but I am just curious why Neosho chose to mention a specific type of girl who doesn't come from SEA when we are talking about a trip to SEA. There's millions of hot girls living here, but somehow he focussed on girls who don't. I'm curious about why that was.

#59 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 03:15

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Because Swedes travel a lot (wealthy country) and the chicks are hot - hence, they are the type of people a Western male is likely to and would want to be hanging out with in a guesthouse.

The majority of Westerners who travel to the region have no interaction with the locals - male or female, other than in restaurants, accommodation and the like.

Why is this so hard for you to grasp?

#60 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 03:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"The majority of Westerners who travel to the region have no interaction with the locals - male or female, other than in restaurants, accommodation and the like.

Why is this so hard for you to grasp?"

Because it's so alien to my own experience travelling anywhere in the world. Hanging out in a guesthouse with other westerners? I don't get it. Not even a little bit. When I went to PP recently I spent almost all of my time with Cambodians. I don't speak one word of the language. But I had zero interest in going to some bar or cafe and socializing with other westerners. What's the point? I could have just stayed in Germany and done that.

The other problem that is still sticking to me is the claim of interest in culture. Well, people define culture. How are you suppose to expose yourself to the indigenous culture if you don't interact with the people?

So I'd like to hear from Neosho why he didn't choose indigenous people. Your rationale is the same as Leonard had. And maybe it was Neosho's as well. Had I written that phrase, might have just said "two cute girls" or I might have said "two cute Thai girls" but otherwise...

#61 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 03:59

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

That's fine, different preferences. Still not sure why you can't seem to comprehend the other point of view.

Neosho probably didn't choose indigenous people because he can't speak the language, they have no interest in talking to Westerners and it can actually be fun to meet other Westerners when travelling (although often not those from your own country).

#62 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 04:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"...they have no interest in talking to Westerners..."

Huh? You're kidding right? At least in Thailand and when I was in PP everyone seems to want to talk with me. Maybe it's because I'm tall, dark and handsome. Or maybe not.

Meeting indigenous people here, or failing to do so, is not because they are not interested. The indigenous people are definitely interested. Chance to practice English, get some exposure to other people, etc.

I can understand your point - but coming to Thailand to hang out with foreigners is akin to coming to Thailand and just eating western food. Yet when I allude to eating western food at all, I'm usually lambasted from some quarter.

#63 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 04:42

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"coming to Thailand to hang out with foreigners is akin to coming to Thailand and just eating western food."

I can see why you would make this comparison but I don't think they are comparable. For a start, you have probably more chance of getting sick eating Western food in Asia (it was the only thing that made me sick in three months in Asia and I ate from many crappy little food carts).

#64 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 05:04

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Unfortunately, interaction with the locals in Cambodia involves them holding their hands out and you putting money in it. The NGO's have fostered a belief that all they have to do is ask and they will receive. Obviously there was huge need after the war but that was a long time ago. It's about time the Khmer found some pride and stop begging from the international community.
    It appalls me when school children walking home see a white face and immediately put out their hands and start asking for money. Who is teaching them this behaviour?

The Thais are too proud to act like that and I respect them for it. Even after the appalling tsunami hit the East Coast the Thais told the world they could handle it for themselves.

#65 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 05:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

KSR/FMP types dont care about the locals. They are only there to get drunk with other backpackers.

#66 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 05:25

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Madmac, I think you have me confused with someone else. I have no recollection of mentioning two Swedish girls.

#67 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 08:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

**** Neosho - I wonder if it was Exacto? I must be getting alzheimers.

"Unfortunately, interaction with the locals in Cambodia involves them holding their hands out and you putting money in it. "

I don't doubt the veracity of this statement in general terms, but when I hung out with the high school kids and motorcycle taxi guys to play chess, not one put his hand out. We just played and talked. Talking was a problem for me - but that's on me, not them. But no one asked me for money. Not once.

#68 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 08:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"For a start, you have probably more chance of getting sick eating Western food in Asia (it was the only thing that made me sick in three months in Asia and I ate from many crappy little food carts)."

My wife would disagree with you, but be that as it may, the principle remains the same. You come all the way here, and then ignore the people? If you are coming for a beach and hang out in a nice bungalow - OK I get that. You came for the beach, not the food, culture or people. But if you are coming for the culture - well cutlure is about people. I find that bizarre.

#69 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 10:43

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

You may have a point regarding the locals. Although I must say, and I would consider myself fairly cultural and certainly not a "FMP tourist", the thought of trying to engage the locals in any meaningful way in any country I have holidayed in or travelled to has never arisen in my mind. Perhaps language is a problem (although that's not an excuse all the time).

I also guess a lot of people see it as a waste of time hanging around with locals for a half day here and there when they could be off riding an elephant or taking yet another picture of a temple. But hey perhaps you're right.

I would certainly agree with your premise that culture = people (plus many other things incidentally).

#70 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 11:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

This is the core reason I think people should slow down. Of course, it depends on what your objective is. But if it is in fact to begin to grasp the indigenous culture, that has to start with the people there. If, on the other hand, it's to see sights and eat food, well that's a perfectly valid vacation experience. It just has very little to do with learning about the culture (and you are right, that begins with language). Seeing a temple has nothing to do with culture really. A bit to do with architecture. But the purpose of the temple is about the spiratual aspect of the culture. And you don't get that from taking a picture of a temple. This is also why I think truly getting off the beaten path is a good idea. Because you are then interfacing with people who are not jaded by mass tourism.

#71 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 12:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

China, next time you come to Thailand, come out to Muk, and I'll show you what I mean.

#72 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 13:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

A lot of backpackers want to see sights and get drunk. Look at their itineries. They have 10 different locations for 20-30 days. Not a lot of slowing down. I think it's because they feel they may not come back again anytime soon and what to see a lot of sights.

But that's how young people think. It's about numbers not quality. As people get older they tend to slow down and try to enjoy it more rather than rush around. (This could apply to sex as well as travel)

I believe MM that you are in your 40s so you see the world a lot differently to 18-25yos.

#73 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 18:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I'm 52 Leonard. I'm sure not getting any younger. And you could be right on the perspective thing. Although i must say my son, who is 26, sees things like I do on this subject.

#74 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 00:08

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Thanks for the offer MM, although it might a while before I'm back in Asia - have a few nice trips lined up in Europe over the next few years. Although some day again for sure.

#75 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 04:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Barring death - I should be here. Just let me know.

#76 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 04:23

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Why do you guys write PMs on a forum thread?

#77 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 06:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

note the title of the thread.

china's PM capacity is disabled.

#78 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 07:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"Although i must say my son, who is 26, sees things like I do on this subject."

That's because you brainwashed him

#79 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 09:14

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"china's PM capacity is disabled."

That's because you kept asking him about his sex life LOL

#80 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 09:15

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"That's because you kept asking him about his sex life LOL"

Thankfully nothing else belonging to me is disabled.

#81 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 09:22

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    You just been got.
    'note the title of the thread.'
    So I was entitled to ask the question seeing as that's the point of the thread.
    I think it's etiquette to include everyone when you post on a thread.
    Anything personal should be PM.
    I'm sure he'll open up his PM so you can swop stories about your sex lives. :-)

#82 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 12:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"That's because you brainwashed him"

I don't know, he's a pretty independent minded guy. I think it's genetic.

"I think it's etiquette to include everyone when you post on a thread."

I hate etiquette!

"I'm sure he'll open up his PM so you can swop stories about your sex lives."

He's the one who brought it up man.

#83 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 12:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

They really should get a room. There's a lot of tension between those guys.

#84 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 18:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.