Idle banter forum

What would you do?

• noexcuses

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 21

Hi, Long time reader of this site, first time poster.

I am currently in a kind of a dilemma and would like to ask the question, what would you do?

I am a 39yr old male, single with no kids that has his own home and has a full time job. Recently the option to take a redundancy from work (been their 14yrs) has come up with a payout that would enable me too travel for a year or two, all the things i have ever dreamed of doing, as such as the trans mongolian train, traveling through se asia a lot more and just seeing where it would all take me. I of course would not use all the money on traveling and keep a chunk of it behind for when i get back, if ever i do, who knows? I would also be able to rent my house out so there would be a bit more money coming in.

On one hand i am thinking, you only live once and this is a chance in a lifetime and more than likely never get the chance to do this again. On the other i am afraid i wouldn't be able to find a job when i get back, also the job i have now is not too bad and more than likely something i can see myself doing for the rest of my working life. Also, here in Australia there is a lot of doom and gloom talk about unemployment figure's getting higher.

So, What would you do?

Thanks for any replies i will get and i would love to hear from older members responses.

Cheers.

#1 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 12:37

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Hard to answer. Depends how much you really want to travel and how happy you are working now. If you've never travelled much before you might find 12 mths on the road difficult. Maybe do 6 mths and that gives you more money to come back too which takes the pressure off getting another job.

Buddhists believe you live many times.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 20:04

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

What else would you be doing for a year or two? Other than staying on the job, I mean.

#3 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 22:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

He must have gone back to work LOL

#4 Posted: 22/9/2013 - 21:34

• noexcuses

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 21

No, sorry, i did reply yesterday but must have pressed the wrong button.

Right, what else would i do? I am not sure i understand that question.

The way i see it i have two options. I can stay and keep taking holidays to SE Asia a couple of times a year and hopefully have the job security and that there is enough work to make a decent bit of coin. Pros - employment, Cons - same old existence and feel like just another cog in the chain working towards god knows what.

The second option would be take the money, sell or store my gear, rent the house out and catch a one way ticket too asia and see where that takes me, hopefully not to the bottom of a bottle in some bar. Pros - excitement of not knowing what tomorrow will bring and getting to do things and go to places i have always dreamed about. Cons - eventually having to come back and find a job, and worrying it will not be as good as the one i am in know.

At the moment i am starting to lean towards the second option purely for the fact that you only live once and if you never go you never know. I have travelled a little bit, did the two year working thing in england (i'm aussie btw.) been too india and for the last 4 years or so have been going to SE Asia a couple of times a year, so i like to think i would be able to handle all the rigours of travelling and i know it is no picnic in the park a lot of the time and can get very tiring at some times, but hey, that's the beauty of it and you learn a hell of a lot about yourself.

#5 Posted: 23/9/2013 - 18:51

• noexcuses

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 21

And you only regret the things you never done in life not the things you have.

#6 Posted: 23/9/2013 - 22:56

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

U answered your own questions.

#7 Posted: 24/9/2013 - 09:52

• noexcuses

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 21

Maybe so, but i still don't know what to do.

+, i'm also asking 'what would you do?'

#8 Posted: 26/9/2013 - 22:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I already told u. But it's your life.

#9 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 12:14

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Go traveling. The next job you have may be better. You're still young enough to do that , find decent work I mean.

#10 Posted: 30/9/2013 - 22:52

• Advertisement

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Opportunity knocks, what's holding you back? How long
    would it take you to save this buyout money by working everyday?
    Take the money and go, have fun and relax.
    You can work anywhere if you need to.

#11 Posted: 5/10/2013 - 11:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.