Idle banter forum

Travelfish-alike for South Pacific??

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Hi all
    does anyone know if there is a site even a quarter as good as Travelfish for the South Pacific islands. I'm going to Vanuatu and Fiji so even a specific site for either of those would be welcome!

#1 Posted: 25/9/2008 - 20:05

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Funny you ask -- I'm on my last day of a week on Fiji at the moment! The snorkelling has been amazing, but we lucked out somewhat on the island we chose...

There's no site like Travelfish for the region that I know of, but an excellent blog on the area is South Pacific Travel by David Stanley. In his words:

"My travel guidebooks have been serving island travelers since 1979. Moon Handbooks South Pacific is now in its 8th edition, and Tahiti and Fiji each have guides of their own. This blog site is intended to share new facts as they cross my desk, and to discuss issues of interest to visitors. So grab a seat: We're off on a virtual island tour."

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 26/9/2008 - 01:45

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Thanks for this somtam
    out of interest which island in Fiji are you on? Following SE Asia I've got a couple of weeks scheduled in Fiji ...

#3 Posted: 26/9/2008 - 14:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We were on Mana Island. It was an extended family vacation and so we were in a resort rather than a backpacker style place -- though there was a backpackers joint on the island. The snorkelling was just amazing -- far better than anything I've seen in Thailand.

#4 Posted: 28/9/2008 - 07:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

How refreshing to see someone confirm the status of Thailand coral.

#5 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 08:52

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I've been to Fiji several times now - different islands each time. I love Fiji - and the people are incredibly friendly. On my last trip, we were there over Xmas - and ended up being invited to the home of someone we met for 'Xmas dinner', and spent a day in the village with the family of a policeman we met. Incredibly open, friendly and generous people!

We also ended up at a great place in the Yasawa's, called Octopus Reosrt. http://www.octopusresort.com/

This place has a range of accommodation: backpackers through to top-end. The snorkelling was stunning - the best I've seen in both Fiji and Thailand. It's a cool place, and you can do a village tour from there, diving, hiking, etc. I wasn't there as a backpacker, so I'm not sure what the dorms were like.

I have also stayed on the mainland (Viti Levu), Matamanoa and Malolo - if you want any info - in both low-end and top-end places. Happy to answer any questions if I can help.

Lisa

#6 Posted: 16/7/2009 - 16:20

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yep, I found the same about Fiji - and the Yasawas make anywhere in Thailand look second rate. Can't wait to get back there - but so many places, so little time!
    Thanks for that link Lizzy. Looks great!

#7 Posted: 18/7/2009 - 13:36

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Lisa

Like you, I also love Fiji. Though, I must say the dirty bloody Indians on V Levu make what could have been the best munyana in the Pacific an eyesore.

I particularly liked SavuSavu on Vanua Levu - for some pics (not mine) go go here - and I liked Taveuni.

The village of Lao on Levu is unlike anywhere else in Fiji. It's a long long way from any western / Indian influence and is really just so Fijian. Near Labasa (an Indian town, they still cut cane by hand there), is a little island - Mali Island - and on the 'outer' side the reef is quite close. The snorkelling and fishing are sensational.

I got taken by a boat from Taveuni to Qamea Island, and the snorkelling there is pretty special as well.

I got the local airline (Sun Air) from SavuSavu to Suva and the small plane flies low over various coral fringed islands and is spectacular.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 18/7/2009 - 14:49

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Whilst Fiji definitely has more going for it under the sea (and Vatulele is phenomenal), for me nothing beats flying into Aitutaki and spending your days lazing away at Pacific Resort. Aitutaki is the most beautiful lagoon I've even been too and the beach at Pacific Resort is just stunning (potentially my favorite place in the world at the moment). I also love the main island Rarotonga. The lagoon at Muri is just gorgeous and I especially love the fantastic nightlife - Friday nights are AWESOME! The Cooks are fabulous and the locals just so friendly. Definitely rank the Cooks as my favorite South Pacific destination followed by Samoa (my partner is Samoan), Tahiti, Fiji and then probably New Cal or Vanuatu (don't think too much of these last two).

#9 Posted: 18/7/2009 - 15:43

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Ash

I agree that Fiji is now lower on the list due to the basket case in charge.

To be enjoyed, Nouvelle Caledonie needs to be seen away from Noumea and Thio. North of Poindemie is OK. I did like Lifou and Mare.

I suppose, also, being Australian, the fresh French food (flown out from France daily) was enticing.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 18/7/2009 - 18:28

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
South Pacific Travel Jsc, ... By southpacific on 22 Sep 2008 0 1728 22 Sep 2008
Another Halong Bay question... Trekking Travel or Sinh Cafe (South Pacific) ... By nzchanty on 5 Mar 2008 13 8529 7 Jan 2010
Pacific Airlines to become Jetstar Pacific ... By somtam2000 on 14 Apr 2008 2 3175 26 May 2008