Idle banter forum

Thailand Troubles

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

So what is going to be the end result of the Thai political problems?The PPP has been disbanded by the courts,although it will probably just reform under a different name, and Somchai banned from politics for 5 years.Another one of Thaksin's relatives is in line to take over as leader of the new party.Military and police do not seem inclined to act.One thing is certain-whatever happens in the comming weeks there is going to be one group of unhappy political supporters.Anyone's thoughts?

#1 Posted: 2/12/2008 - 16:03

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

So the latest round of political unrest seems to be over with the pro Thaksin Red Shirts packing up and going home.They certainly did'nt win too many friends,both local and overseas ,with their tactics.The government,with the military, seemed to handle the situation very well and acheived the desired outcome with little violence.One can only hope that this is the end of it all and the government can get on with running the country.One can also hope that this is the end of Thaksin as a political force and some of his followers do not try to intimidate the government with acts of terrorism.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2009 - 15:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

While I agree with you in hoping it is over, I very much doubt it actually is over. Wait and see what the coming weeks bring.

#3 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 13:34

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

the redshirt protest was defeated, due in part to the deployment of the army and police but also because a key redshirt leader saw that things were getting violent and decided to end it. unfortunately, none of the redshirt's concerns were addressed by any of this. if anything, they probably feel even more disenfranchised by the central government after these events.

one of the important points i've been reading in the press (bangkok post, BBC) is the difficulty for aphisit's government, since it was ushered into power after similar mass yellowshirt protests but did nothing to address the equally illegal activities of those mobs.

#4 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 20:38

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I agree with you Somtan that I don't really think it's finished and there will be more in the comming weeks.I'm just hoping.And, as you say,Exacto Aphisit's government was ushered into power.Really the only way Aphisit should be there is for the country to hold elections and for his government to be duly elected.Wonder if that'll happen....

#5 Posted: 17/4/2009 - 03:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well talking of Abhisit getting re-elected, as I mentioned in this story, last time around...

"the current beleaguered government led by Abhisit Vejjajiva came to power with the assistance of a military coup, two party dissolutions, a new constitution, an activist judiciary, implicit royal backing, an ultra-nationalist crisis, six months of escalating street provocation, military insubordination, and an economically disastrous airport shutdown."

Lets hope he doesn't need all that to get over the line again ;-)

#6 Posted: 17/4/2009 - 07:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just to add to the mix, Reuters is reporting:

"Thai "yellow shirt" leader shot
    Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:14am BST
    BANGKOK (Reuters) - The founder of Thailand's "yellow shirt" protest movement, which was behind the week-long occupation of Bangkok's main airports late last year, was shot and wounded early on Friday, media and allies said.

The Nation newspaper said in an SMS news alert that at least 100 rounds were fired at Sondhi Limthongkul.

Two colleagues from the People's Alliance for Democracy, which was not involved in the latest unrest in Thailand over the past week, confirmed the attempt on his life. One said his car was attacked in a petrol station near the central bank, and that his driver was seriously wounded."
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUKTRE53G02720090417

#7 Posted: 17/4/2009 - 07:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.