Idle banter forum

Tips on AirAsia?

• talder

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2008

What's the best way to travel from the Krabi airport to Ao Nang? We've booked with AirAsia for getting to Phnom Penh, Chiang Mai and Krabi, all via BKK, during our 4 week trip. Any tips or suggestions re: using this airline?
    BTW we're leaving Canada and -35 degree weather in two weeks and can't wait to shed layers and latitudes.

#1 Posted: 18/1/2009 - 21:43

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

one thing to remember with air asia is there is no reserved seat for your basic ticket.So as you see people starting to line up near the boarding gate jump in the queue quick smart so you can sit together or where you prefer front/back etc. Some people have posted that there are some delays with air asia but i've found them to pretty good on the whole

#2 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 05:00

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

yep used them a bit, and swag is right about not getting a reserved seat... never been a problem tho

they have a 15kg limit for hold baggage - over that you will have to pay a fee ... don't have that info on me tho

the food is pretty grim on there, but as you have to pay for it i would avoid and bring some scooby snacks with you

have fun

#3 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 05:15

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

we had pretty good luck with air asia too. but even a drink of water cost money on board. as chrispy says, our impression of the food was grim and expensive, so i second that advice to bring your own snacks.

don't know if it applies to your situation, but it seems to me that air asia has a pretty fluid pricing system too, and the longer in advance we were able to purchase our tickets, the better bargain we got. cheers.

#4 Posted: 19/1/2009 - 06:03

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Yep, Take your own snacks and drink is a great tip!

I have used air asia alot and have never had a problem. The price is right and the service is pretty good too.

#5 Posted: 27/1/2009 - 19:55

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

The best way to get from Krabi airport to Ao Nang is by taxi. I'm not sure of the exact cost, but between 600-900 baht probably ($20-35 cdn) It is cheaper to go by public transport, but you may have to change vehicles in Krabi town and may not get dropped at your hotel. The ride is probably about 20-30 min. If you have luggage, splurge for the taxi.
    By the way, it's insanely hot in Ao Nang/Tonsai/etc. But I'm happy I'm here and not in Toronto freezing!

#6 Posted: 27/1/2009 - 21:37

• talder

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2008

Thanks, for the info, amazon_blonde. We're leaving Northwestern Ontario where it's -35 degrees. Flying out of Winnipeg to Bangkok on Saturday. Bring on the insane heat!

#7 Posted: 28/1/2009 - 01:58

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Talder

Like the others, I've used Air Asia frequently. Unlike other discount airlines, I have high regard for AirAsia. And, like other discount airlines, everything on board is charged for.

AirAsia have 3 policies that may interest you.

1. If they are delayed, they pay you (about US$40).

2. You can buy first 'run' on board. That is, you can pay extra to be at the head of the queue - and the herd is delayed for 5 minutes while you find the most comfortable seat for yourself.

Note that an AirAsiaX flight has reserved seating and boarding passes. These flights go long distance (eg. Kl to Australia).

3. AirAsia has a cut off time prior to departure. If you are even 1 minute late - so sad, too bad, buy another flight ticket!

In the 'cattle class', I've never had problems. The plane fills up within 10 and is off within 15. On landing, it empties within 5 minutes.

cheers

#8 Posted: 28/1/2009 - 17:08

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

I've used a lot of budget airlines all over the world and Air Asia are one of the better ones I've used.

If you book well in advance there are some bargain flights to be had. The food on board is pretty pricey, so grab some food before you board!

The best thing about them is that once the plane doors are shut, you're normally in the air within 5mins, no hanging about!

#9 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 18:52

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The pushing and shoving mentioned in post #2 is no longer true. Air Asia now assign seat numbers when you check in and you can book seats in advance too (at a price).

#10 Posted: 13/4/2009 - 20:29

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Hi everyone

In addition to my earlier post suggesting AirAsia is good in relation to departure times, my recent experience suggests I'm wrong.

AirAsia has a policy that if a plane is delayed to depart by more than 2 hours, AirAsia will give a 200RM voucher.

I waited 1 hour 50 minutes in Australia before take off - the first hour was very relaxed, last 15 minutes was bedlam. To my way of thinking, it was the 200RM that got them in the air before 2 hours.

And, the very next day, the same thing occurred as I left KL for Chiang Mai.

Air Asia had 2 planes leave for Bankok within that 1 3/4 hours. But we had to wait for the scheduled one that was delayed at Singapore. And, they had planes parked at KL they could have commissioned.

I have also heard other reports.

It seems there has been a change in attitude by AirAsia.

Still, on other grounds they appear good as an airline.

cheers

#11 Posted: 14/4/2009 - 10:48

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"one thing to remember with air asia is there is no reserved seat for your basic ticket."

Yes there is. Air Asia have been allocating people with seat numbers for months and months now. However if you want particular seat numbers (ie you want to sit next to a friend or a member of your family) then you have to pay extra.

#12 Posted: 7/6/2009 - 18:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.