Idle banter forum

Ridiculous posts about "Itinerary Feedback"

• crimptacular

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2009

I have been using Travelfish as one method of researching places during my travels for a number of months now. As well, I have enjoyed reading the posts of many users who have contributed many great ideas to others on the forum. But I must say that from time to time, I come across a thread where a user is asking for ideas or an itinerary for some place and then does not give any other info! So this is a bit of a shot at those who can't be bothered to do any of their own research before posting for help!

When you ask for ideas or help, it may be helpful to indicate what you may want to see as part of your visit. I read these posts and think "Damn, this person is LAZY"! There is SOOOO much information available on this site that even the smallest amount of research can go a long way in narrowing down any questions you may have. Do a bit of leg work yourself! There are some people who can probably provide amazing ideas to you if you were a bit more specific in your question. Otherwise, people don't really know what to write and may not be bothered to respond at all.

I'm sure this post will result a slag or two at myself but I really don't care. Maybe it will inspire one or two people to perhaps READ a bit more before posting "Hey, I'm going to Asia! What should I do??"

#1 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 14:33

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey crimp,

how's it going?

no doubt people would get better responses on the forum by doing a bit of research before asking their questions and by including more information on things like how much they plan to spend and what types of things they like to do, etc.

but don't be too hard on new posters either. sometimes they are just being lazy. but often they are so excited about their trip that they just post straight away before doing much else. plus, i think occasionally people just want to chime in and say hello, and asking a question on the message board is the easiest way to do that.

i guess i'd rather see someone ask what seems like a dumb question than have them not ask at all and miss out on getting the feedback that would help make their trip better. the fun part is that if the question seems really silly or lazy, we don't have to respond. :-)

by the way, i'm stopping off in korea on my way to bangkok. what should i do? LMAO. cheers.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 22:28

• crimptacular

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2009

While I agree that the occassional person may just be "excited" I think that a majority of them just haven't bothered to look and want other people to do the legwork. I'm a climber and see quite a few posts on climbing forums where people have asked "Hey , I'm going to XYZ location, what should I climb"?? This person won't get very good responses as they've neglected to indicate their level of climbing and preferred type of climbing (sport, bouldering, etc...). A bit of extra info can go a long way.

Btw...we'll be Soeul on our way home in a month so I'll tell EVERYTHING to do afterwards ;-)

L8r

#3 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 07:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There was a great one a few weeks ago -- along the lines of "I'm going to Asia for two weeks. What should I do?"

No mention of what countries, time of year or interests.

The more info people give in their questions, the better the answers they'll probably get.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 07:28

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

crimp, while I'm inclined to agree with you, you do realize that the people who should read your post won't, right? ;)

#5 Posted: 19/2/2009 - 15:04

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I think itineraries themselves are nuts. The only reason I ever know what town is next is because there is only one road. But we aren't all the same, so I just scroll on by.

#6 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 21:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cambodia and Indonesia: ridiculous itinerary ... By silverteeth on 16 Jun 2011 1 3085 16 Jun 2011