Idle banter forum

3 weeks in SEA - by myself..what can I do?

• tasha_ch

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

Hey everyone!

This could turn out to be a long post so I apologise in advance. :)

I'm in Korea at the moment, and obv this is the best opportunity that I'm likely to have to see some of Asia before I go back home and do grown up things like getting a Masters and job etc.

I have a 3 vacation in August, and was gonna use it to go around SEA, Lonely Planet makes it sound so easy. But having read a lot of the stuff on here and actually looked at a map, my original plan of 3 countries in 3 weeks isn't just ambitious, maybe slightly suicidal in terms of my bank balance.

I've been travelling before so I know that I want a balance of, 'off the beaten track' as in I would like to get away from touristy areas and actually see the country, but I do want to do the typical stuff - temples etc etc

I was going to do Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam but thats just stupid, so am thinking of maybe just Thailand and Cambodia..since i've heard that you can do the temples in about 4-5 days?

I'm gonna be myself and since I'm female and apparently look 14 (I'm not btw) am slightly worried...

So sorry for the long post guys, but any feedback would much appreciated!

Yours in teacher-y goodness
    Tasha
    xxx

#1 Posted: 7/5/2009 - 08:55

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Tasha

The delay in replies may be because this 'thread' isn't the usual place. Next time maybe go to SE Asia (or a country if specifically a question about/to that country).

I agree that racing around usually means you see the insides of lots of planes/trains/buses/waiting rooms/etc., and little else.

Let me be frank. You cannot see every place in SE Asia in 3 weeks, nor can you do everything that there is to offer.

Essentially, its not the 3 weeks that is important, or the places you choose to go. Rather, its what you want to get out of your holiday.

If it is to see cities so that you can tell people you've been there, then that's your focus. However, as Travelfish (elswhere) points out, travel is often the largest cost comeponent of a holiday.

If your focus is to quietly experience places, interact with locals, and get a feeling for they way the people live, then your travel plan will be quite different to a 'city' journey.

If you want to be in 'buzz' places where there are loads of action, and parties, etc., again, your travel plan will be different.

Similarly, you may like green forests, or beach areas, or natural/cultural history.

So, I come back to my earlier point: what is it that YOU want to achieve out of YOUR holiday? It is deciding on what YOU want that is the first important step.

When you can say that, many of your planning aspects will fall into place.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 15:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bruce is absolutely right here. To determine where to go, first you have to start out with what you want to do - the purpose of the trip and the likes and dislikes of those making it.

#3 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 22:59

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

MADMAC

This post exemplifies a suggestion I made to Somtam.

The 'check' box below the 'ADD NEW POST' should be deleted. In my mind, it should be mandatory that when a person makes a new post they MUST get comments. As it is, people like Tasha_ch post, then forget. We spend time helping out for no purpose.

I think that if a 'poster' then wants to switch off the notifications, sobeit.

But, I'd leave the 'check' box for 'repliers'.

C'mon Somtam, help us out here.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 14:00

• tasha_ch

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

Whoa! I didn't forget! I do have a job and my computer isn't working at home! lol

Thank you so much and I have taken all the advice on board :) So in the end I have decided to spend my two weeks between Bangkok and Siem Reap and island in between. I want to have chill time, wandering time and wow history time and I've looked into the overland routes and all of that so I'll get a week in Bangkok and a week if not longer in Siem Reap/Angkor Wat and that gives me a few more days to play around with. Just to save some money I'm doing return flights to Bangkok.

Once again, I didn't forget and I'm very greatful for the advice.

Tasha
    xx

#5 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 14:45

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

tasha'

If you're spending time at Sien Reap, try also considering Kompong Khleang as a trip in between the templing (ie. if you get a 3 day pass, do 2 days, then Tonle Sap, then another day at Angkor.

On Tonle Sap go see:

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-siemreap-guide-other.htm

Cheers

#6 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 07:41

• tasha_ch

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

I don't suppose if you thing I could make it to a beach in the time that I have? Are there any beaches that are conveniently located between Angkor and Bangkok?

Cheers!

#7 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 08:30

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Tasha

Yes there are beaches. However, as August is the wet season, you'd REALLY want to go for reasons other than the beach. Go see:

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

choose a place & hover.

But, that said, it doesn't always rain every day or when it does, all day.

Perhaps one option is to take a Bangkok Airways flight from Siem Reap to Koh Samui.

Go check Koh Samui at:

http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/southern_thailand/surat_thani/ko_samui

Then a flight from Ko Samui to BKK and stay at the airport to then take your flight home.

These 2 flights are both done by Bangkok Airways, and they have a Discovery pass (go check out...

www.travelfish.org/feature/118

and

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/tripreports/3919_bangkok-airways-discovery-pass-info

But from the info I don't think you can get the SR - KS link. If you could, it'd be BKK > SR > KS > BKK. But, there's no harm in trying to see if you can do and save time/money.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 08:59

• tasha_ch

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

Hmmmm the rainy season you say. LOL I'll just be leaving that in Korea and it'll be the same in SEA, ah well can only make it more fun. Well the I've planned it leaves with about about 3-4 days of doing what I want, I was thinking an Island, but having looked at the link you sent me with things to do around Siam Reap I may just spend 2 weeks there and do that. I just want to explore as much as possible (whilst on a budget)!!

Thank you SO much. :)

#9 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 10:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.