Idle banter forum

Do blondes get more attention?

• aepowers

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

I'm planning a trip throughout the whole of southeast Asia this fall. My question may sound silly, but I am legitimately concerned about this. I am a very tall woman (almost 6') with VERY light blond hair. I receive a lot of attention at home in the USA...I'm wondering if I should expect to receive any extra attention (good or bad) due to my appearance. Has anyone with a similar look gone backpacking and had any issues? Should I consider covering my hair, wearing hats, etc., so I don't stick out like a sore thumb? Or are the Asians pretty used to us westerners by now and they won't think twice about a tall blonde wandering around?

#1 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 22:51

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

aepowers

I suggest the fact that you are tall and American will stand out more than hair colour.

Being tall will mean that you will easily be seen by touts looking for business. Being American will mean that as soon as you open your mouth the touts will expect you to have plenty of money to pay high prices.

That said, most places you go to will have seen so many varieties of westerners that nothing will surprise them.

As always, respect for their culture (eg. long sleeved garments in temples, etc.) is the primary issue.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 15:06

• Joshq

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

aepowers

I have the same problem when I travel anywhere. I too am really really extremely goodlooking. The good thing about it in a foreign destination is that people pay me to eat in their restaurants and drink in their bars. I sympathise with you on this matter and can assure you that being really really extremely good looking will not be a problem when you travel.

The only people you'll have to watch is the other foreigners in the bars..

Enjoy your trip!! :)

#3 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 20:09

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Josh

What's going to happen when age sets in?

tic,tic,tic....

#4 Posted: 21/5/2009 - 05:09

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hey aepowers,

Well, of course everyone is going to stare at you, but that's about it. It's very unlikely anyone will say anything (to you, in English).

Enjoy the trip and your temporary celebrity!

// blond, green eyed, and speaks enough Thai to know when people are saying she looks like a ghost :o

#5 Posted: 22/5/2009 - 03:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Songkran - watch it during Songkran. I have a German friend of mine, very tall, very blond, very busty... and she was all but assaulted. We had to move her to the middle of the pick up and surround her, every Thai man was dying to touch her breasts or kiss her... And this was in provincial Thailand.

I have another blond friend (not tall, and not particularly attractive) and she LOVES it here (comes to visit all the time). She picks up a different Thai man every vacation. She really enjoys the attention that she does not get at home.

So you should expect a lot of attention and drunk Thai men (of whom there are a great many at night) will certainly be amorous, but usually fun and OK about it.

As for other tourists, I can't say. We don't get hardly any out here.

#6 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 01:53

• tropixblue

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Your height & hair may draw some stares but what you wear and how you carry yourself will usually determine what kind of attention you get & this probably applies to most women anywhere: Intimidating (cap & dungaree), sexy (low cut, slinky, bare back or mini skirt) sloppy (baggy faded t-shirt & jeans), ordinary (button up blouse & loose pants) or casually elegant (the way you probably usually look). I would say be natural & exercise common dress sense. You wouldn't want to ruin your holiday being paranoid about your physical stature.

#7 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 00:14

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm not blonde and I gotta fight little old ladies off with a baseball bat.

#8 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 03:49

• truecompani-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2012
    Location India

God has given diff. look and features to all human being and so there is always attraction between two opposites. You are bound to get bit more attention due to your ht. as you will stand out in the crowd. Take it easy and be street smart to enjoy your trip abroad.

#9 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 10:16

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

As a white/semi blonde male with a certain particular feature, I get starred at a lot, and get far more attention then I'm looking for from locals, thankfully I don't understand a word they're saying... :)

#10 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 22:04

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

altmtl
    The things my neighbors ask me - it's like a locker room full of guys asking you about the girl you went out with the night before. It never ceases to amaze me.

#11 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 05:18

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Same here Madmac :) They can get fairly personal on some of their questions. I've had people want to touch my beard or arm hair at times. While I was in China , I had a guy kind of get in step with me and was just comparing height and stuff.

#12 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 18:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

One of my neighbors is a Vietnamese lady. Very gregarious, early 50s, good business woman. She will say things like "Did you boom boom (my wife) last night" and make a hip thrusting motion and cackle insanely. Another friend of my wife's will come over and start patting my ass and tell my wife "I like his ass" - like I'm a dog or horse being checked out for physical qualities. And these are normal, middle class Thai ladies - not ex bar girls or something. It's just unbelievable. But it is funny too.

#13 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 21:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

When my wife and I got married in the village, her mother actually asked her "Is it true Falangs have big dicks and are better in bed than Thai guys?" It reaches the point of being so over the top that it's bizarre. Definitely a different culture.

#14 Posted: 1/2/2012 - 21:56

• valuemeal2

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2013

aepowers, I'm very interested to hear your experiences (I assume you've gone to Asia and are back by now)! I'm a 6'4" blonde woman myself, and my husband and I will be doing a RTW trip in the next couple of years-- I can't change how freakishly tall I am, but I'm wondering if dyeing my hair dark might help with unwanted attention (since I get lots of negative attention here in good old liberal blonde California).

#15 Posted: 14/5/2013 - 03:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

6' 4" - wow. Now that's tall. I danced with a woman that tall once.... tall.

If you are with your husband you'll be fine. People her might stare - hell I might stare - but they aren't going to start touching you or something. The men will be intimidated for sure.

#16 Posted: 14/5/2013 - 10:08

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Valuemeal2,

I wouldn't bother dying your hair - since you're considerably taller than the locals, you'll stand out whatever you put on your head. But most of the time you won't experience anything other than good-natured curiosity.

Yes you'll get stared at sometimes (all westerners do, especially when you're travelling off the beaten path where the locals are less used to seeing tall / blond / busty / fill-in-the-blank-here visitors).

Yes, you'll get locals wanting to ask you questions about your height or get their picture taken standing next to you (which happened to me repeatedly in Vietnam, and I'm only 5'10" ... I just grin and pose with them for their "look-at-the-foreign-giantess!" photos).

But as long as you dress respectively (keep your cleavage under wraps, especially if it's on the ample side, etc.) and carry yourself with confidence, you're unlikely to experience anything more than some curiosity.

#17 Posted: 15/5/2013 - 14:54

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

I lived in BKK over 3 years as a blonde, and never had any problems. Actually, my husband quite liked being able to see me easily in a crowd! You might get extra attention around Songkran time, but generally people are friendly and not giving attention in a bad way. If you are friendly and laughing, you will find everything easier. My cute blonde kids are people magnets in Asia, but everyone seems to just want to say hello, again, no problems.

#18 Posted: 15/5/2013 - 22:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"But as long as you dress respectively (keep your cleavage under wraps, especially if it's on the ample side, etc.) and carry yourself with confidence, you're unlikely to experience anything more than some curiosity."

I've seen this before - this applies in Muslim areas. It does not apply in Bangok, any of the tourist areas or Issan where I live. Girls flash their cleavage all the time. And Issan women can be quite busty - it's a misnomer to think they are all small built in the chest. In general, at least for Thailand, it is less, not more, conservative concerning clothing than most western societies.

#19 Posted: 16/5/2013 - 03:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it but the feature that excites them most is a long nose.

#20 Posted: 16/5/2013 - 03:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.