admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ajarn.com (a website for English teachers) has an excellent post that follows a guy living on under 30,000B a month in Bangkok.

It's interesting particularly because (a) the guy's diet is terrible and if he'd planned his food a bit better he could have saved a bit more; and (b) it wasn't actually all that hard -- boring yes, but not hard.

Certainly brought back memories of when I was being paid 140B an hour to teach English at AUA in Bangkok!

Anyway, well worth a look -- the full story is here: http://www.ajarn.com/Banter/30kamonth.htm

You can see another similar piece here:
    How much do I need to live in Bangkok

Soooo, if you're done travelling and feel like hanging out for a bit -- there's some costs for you!

#1 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 20:22

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have a wife and daughter and help support my wifes' family. But we own the house - so no rent. I live on about 75,000 baht a month - and I live VERY good. Have a maid, a laundry service, get a massage three times a week, go out to dinner daily.

#2 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 00:30

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

This is straying off the subject of Bangkok, but I've been comparing teaching English in Vietnam to Thailand, and it seems like Thailand is financially not a good option in comparison. In Thailand, average salaries are just above average living expenses. Some how, in Vietnam salaries are really high - between U$10 to $20/hour - and of course living expenses are among the cheapest in Asia. So while it's possible to save upwards of U$800 or more per month in Vietnam, it seems one would be lucky to save U$100 a month in Thailand. Who knew? Vietnam is right below Taiwan, Japan and South Korea for, financially speaking, best place to teach in Asia.

#3 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 01:04

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Have just read the piece on Ajarn.com and found it pretty interesting.He did really well for a young bloke but I'm sure he could have done better,food wise.As Somtam says his diet is terrible.More fruit and vegetables and less Western food would have seen a fair saving.And as for cigarettes,well[better not say too much].Can understand the grog and going out.
    Gives a pretty good insight as to what can be done on not too much money.Hope too retire in Thailand,not Bangkok though, so anything like this is useful.

#4 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 16:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.