Idle banter forum

What's your favorite Public Holiday in Asia?

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Mine has always been Loy Kratong. It's a celebration that takes place around the full moon usually in November.

I love watching the decorated floats on the water or the lanterns as they sail skyward. This holiday always seems to capture the graceful side of the culture, and the more remote a place I've been to celebrate the better it has been.

Plus, it isn't included on the dry day list that SBE provided for no alcohol sales. Bonus!

What's your favorite?

#1 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 01:30

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

exacto
    I am definitely with you on that one. I really enjoy it as my wife, daughter and I will walk down to the Mekong and float our candles. We had good luck last year, and all three went into deep water and down river.

My wife is always feeling romantic that night...

#2 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 03:07

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

What is Liberation Day/Reunification Day/May Day like in Vietnam? We're going to be making our way from Saigon to Mekong around that date.

I think we'll be in Luang Prabang for Buddha's Birthday. Does this mean the Full Moon Party in Thailand won't actually be on the night of the full moon? Read somewhere Thailand normally saves the Vasek celebrations until the following full moon after the date.

#3 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 03:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Loy Kratong is my definitely favourite too. Beautiful!

#4 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 04:55

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Clearly, there will be differences in perspective between those appreciated by ppl living in SE Asia, and those appreciated by tourists.

For mine, PiiMaiLao is pretty fun.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 05:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I like Songkran too - but man it goes on so long. I have to do all my shopping the week before, because riding my bike is inviting assault. And while I don't mind it (I'm no prude certainly) the women take it as license to be VERY naughty. Given this is a society where everyone has to be just so... I guess it's healthy to be able to cut loose once a year.

#6 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 15:14

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Gotta be songkran for me and the wife. Great fun!

#7 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 00:06

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Pii Mai / Songkran for me too, but for different reasons. Many people leave the Indo part of Indochina at this time, for me Pii Mai means Yunnan or Hong Kong and a change of venu. Can't get much accomplished anyway, loath drunks.

#8 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 00:26

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

I love Songkran - guess I'm still a kid at heart.

#9 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 14:12

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

We found Songkran/Pii Mai Lao to be fun and festive, but it did get tiresome after nearly a week of soakings. Perhaps should have stayed a few days longer in Luang Prabang, left for Chiang Mai before Pii Mai Lao really got going.

Loy Krathong gets my vote, seems more focused and sincere, and so stunning visually. Plan to catch the Taunggyi Balloon Festival next year.

#10 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Cunning
    But do drunk Thai women assault you during Loy Khratong? I don't know, I find that a big plus!!! OK, maybe over the top, but interesting.

#11 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 09:06

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

the only drunk woman assaulting me on public holidays would be my lovely wife, and she's Irish. But I can see your position on Loy Krathong (no pun intended)

#12 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 21:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

My wife is funny about it - she finds other Thai women hitting on me to be a compliment, which I guess it is.

#13 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 09:17

• Sophia_India

Click here to learn more about Sophia_India
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Mine is definately Songkran! Its so much fun, its during the hottest time of the year when it is roasting and its just a 3 day water fight which really cools you down! Its awesome.

#14 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 21:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What\'s your favorite beer in SE Asia? ... By mattocmd on 9 Aug 2013 19 1743 13 Aug 2013
What is your favorite place to scuba dive in SE Asia? ... By mattocmd on 16 Oct 2008 0 3683 16 Oct 2008