Idle banter forum

Who is Bruce Moon

• sacott

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2009

Folks,

I haven't asked many questions but I have read many answers. And it gets me wondering, who is Bruce Moon and why does he know so much about South East Asia..

Bruce?

#1 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 11:35

• Advertisement

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

LOL

#2 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 11:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

He's one of those ex hippie types who likes to travel around Asia and look at natural wilderness and old buildings and stuff like that. As near as I can tell he doesn't like women much (except his wife) and he doesn't like to drink much and he leans to the political left.

#3 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 15:45

• whiteelepha-
    nt

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2009

agree w/smash LOL

Finally a question BM doesn't think he knows the answer to.

#4 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 17:40

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Maybe we could have a side line in BMoon stickers........

Once Somtam has finished his run of travelfish ones...... :o)

#5 Posted: 22/7/2009 - 22:46

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

LOL. Madmac, you almost described me until you got to the hiking, drinking and women part.

#6 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 00:19

• sacott

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2009

I was being kindof serious tho, Bruce?

#7 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 21:27

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

From what I can gather the Guy has extensive experience of traveling through SEA, and his advice is well thought out & presented objectivly.

For example: A lot of people I have met told me to ignore the local tribes people in Sapa as they are 'just a hassel' however like most in Vietnam they are just trying to do the best for themselves, some are more aggresive than others. Brucemoon's suggestion was to talk to them asking questions about their lives/ family etc. I did just that and ended up with my own guide for the day, a very knowledgable local H'mong woman who also invited me to have dinner with her family which was fantastic. Also with no agent involved the whole amount that I gave her when to her/ her family only.

Take it easy.

#8 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 16:47

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hahaha, Brucemoon you now have your own thread!

He is an ozzy hippi old timer with a bunch of travel stories.

Can't wait to hear his response to this thread!

#9 Posted: 31/7/2009 - 21:01

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

:-)

#10 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 06:30

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Also a combat veteran from Vietnam who became a peacenik. I don't agree with Bruce on lots of things... but I like him.

#11 Posted: 1/8/2009 - 11:28

• Dongphuvieng

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Bruce has written so much on this board he could harvest it and create a guidebook all of his own. Some of what he says is considered, intelligent stuff. But then he gets on his travelling high horse, and it can be annoying to read him respond to perfectly good questions with dismissive put downs. For example, the below is to a request for advice on motorbiking from HCMC to Hanoi... THe thing is, Bruce, as much as I like many of your ideas on travel, they are not the only ideas out there. And those other ideas aren't all wrong. Think about it.

D

21 days to ride from SaiGon to HaNoi & return - are you kidding????

What else but ride did you have in mind???

Any partying, if so, where, how long???

When will you sleep???

What 'uppers' will you pop???

Mmmmmmm!!!

Some people...

#12 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 14:53

• sacott

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2009

Hey Bruce are you reading this thread?

I had really hoped for a response from you as well as everyone else. Because I wonder how you have so much experience.

#13 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 15:05

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

lol, I didn't see this thread before I just responded to a Bruce Moon one in the Cambodian forum. Bruce seems like a nice guy and very helpful but, it does seem that his answers are info that anyone could obtain from google and the many websites he links to.

I want to see some 'I done this and 'we went there' and 'this is how you do that' rather than very broad and general 'text book-like' advise I seem to see.

Not a pop Bruce, but please tell me some thing about your experiences in Thailand and we could share some stories maybe :)

#14 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 23:18

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I keep checking travelfish specifically to see if Bruce responded to this thread.

Although he's probably busy on some awesome trip!

#15 Posted: 10/8/2009 - 09:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Not a pop Bruce, but please tell me some thing about your experiences in Thailand and we could share some stories maybe :)"

Go to the trip reports and check his travel blog. Absolutely outstanding.

#16 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 00:30

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

Will do, thanks.

#17 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 00:34

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Here.
    http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/brucemoon/
    While wandering looking for a link to the blog I too noticed not many, "while here" or "as I was going there". Long thread critiquing LP's description of the Nam Ou yet skipped half the trip. Helpfull for people finding things I suppose.

Whatup Bruce?

Madmac you do take the cake though, a visa run to a border town and you can wax prophetic on a whole country, you win hands down!

I have a web filter that brings me all postings for a variety of words. I browse a lot of travel blogs.

#18 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 08:17

• SEQfunbod

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

I just want to say that I'm new here and I wasn't sure about the boat thing at luangparabang. After reading heaps I made a question and BruceMoon provided so much help. He really seems to know lots about the boats. I don't know who he is but he helped me heaps. And, he's helping other people too. BruceMoon you are a winner.

#19 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 10:39

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

He puts a lot of people's backs up with his superior know-it-all attitude and disparaging put-downs but he can be very funny too sometimes. His account of the "fragrant pond" toilets in China was hilarious!

#20 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 14:33

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

SEQfunbod that's the thread that captures part of the problem of giving advice based on reading guidbooks or web pages. If you go to the landing below the old palace in Luang Prabang and catch a boat to Pak Lai I'd love to hear about it as the regular ferry hasn't been operating on that section of river for at least the 5 years I've been paying attention. Sign still on the river and still repeated in old guidebooks that haven't been updated but ever since the road was upgraded no regular slow boat, only south from Pak Lai to Vientiane.

I hadn't noticed any put downs or know it all attitudes, but if it's there good for him, that stuff is par for web boards and kind of fun I think.

Good though to differentiate between what you've actually done and what you've read or heard. Pretty easy to, just start with the disclaimer, "from what I've read" or "as I heard back on this thread it seems".

#21 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 20:39

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

This is like talking about someone when they're in the room with you. Doesn't sit too well with me personally.

#22 Posted: 13/8/2009 - 04:05

• sacott

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2009

christay2009

Some interesting comments, but I had really hoped to hear from Bruce himself (I know what you mean..)

#23 Posted: 13/8/2009 - 05:07

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

sacott

Sorry I didn’t answer you earlier. I was sensing some negative comments elsewhere, and thought it wise to remain ‘unspoken’. I’ve now addressed that, so here goes.

You want to know who I am and why does he know so much about South East Asia

I was born in Melbourne, Australia in 1947. My first ‘involvement’ with SE Asia was as a conscriptee in the Australian Army with a 12 month ‘tour’ in ‘67. I only ‘served’ 7 months as I was medivac’ed home. This was the first of several ‘white light’ experiences I’ve endured: a head-on high speed car crash; I was diagnosed with cancer (given 6 months); and fallen out of a tree and broke my spine. But, as my wife says, there must be a reason to cheat death so many times.

I married about 40 years ago and my wife and I have four wonderful children. I began a career in the clothing industry, only to find it usurped by a gov’t intent on exporting jobs to keep prices cheap at home. I changed to retail and ‘enjoyed’ an exchange relationship with Japanese and Chinese providers. This was cut short by cancer (treatment) and after a couple of years, I began a career in the tertiary education sector. With all the gongs on my ‘official’ title is:

Dr Bruce Moon
    BA, BSc, B Env Sc (Hons), GDURP, Grad Dip Ed, M Pub Pol, PhD

I had the opportunity to retire (very early) about a decade ago, so took it. I haven’t looked back.

Each of my children spent a year in later teens undergoing student exchange (best bit of educating I ever afforded them). 3 out of 4 went to SE Asia. Thus began a cultural awakening beyond mere travel.

Some years ago, one son spent a year in China as part of a Uni degree, so our first foray was to China. So, after ‘retiring’, this was the first of many visits to the SE Asian countries that each child had visited; and more.

We tend to try and have an OS ‘holiday’ at least twice - but often more - each year and also spend about 4 - 6 weeks on each visit.

Additionally, I am also secretary to a community based ‘ngo’ focussed on Vietnam (www.avvrg.org.au) which again focuses my attention on aspects of SE Asia.

The list of countries and visit frequency are:

Indonesia x 1
    Thailand x 4
    Malaysia x 2 (aside from KL as a hub)
    Laos x 3
    China x 2
    Singapore x 5
    Cambodia x 1
    Japan x 1
    Vietnam x 3 (aside from ngo ‘work’ visits).

So, in answer to your query as to why I know so much, first let me say the knowledge is relative: I just know but a little more than many others. But, that little more has come with frequent travel sojourns, and time researching/experiencing those sojourns.

Hope this explains.

Cheers

#24 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 15:00

• sacott

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2009

Cheers Bruce,

Interesting to hear about how you got into South East Asia through various experiences.
    It's so great to have honest people like you on here giving advice from past experiences. I really appreciate your effort to answer peoples questions all the time as I have to admit that I am only really here if I need to find something.

Scott

#25 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 15:14

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Egg on your face Jon MakMak?

#26 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 00:23

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

somsai

I noted your comments in #21, and replied here (at #18).

It appears we are both talking about the slow demise of boat travel.

Cheers

#27 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 05:47

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

I feel like Bruce only gets really indignant when someone comes to the forums with a ridiculous or un-researched idea - or at least, it appears that way to him. I've done my damnedest to find out answers to my questions before posing them to this forum, and Bruce's contributions on that platform have been, frankly, invaluable. And, considering I have done my best to avoid any of the political debates, hes never stepped on my toes.

The real reason that I am posting in this thread is to address Jon Mak Mak -

You constantly say things like "Not a pop Bruce" - "again no offense but..." - and "Not having a go here mate" - and then precede/follow that with pretty much "having a go." That doesn't really work.

You cant say "No offense, sir, but you're a ****** idiot." People take offense. If you're going to have a go - don't pretend like you aren't.

#28 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 22:23

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

hahahahaha, this gets funnier evey day.

Egg on my face? hahahah you don't know me.

So Bruce has been to Thailand what, 4 times??? For a few tourists holidays is it???

Nice one, just as I thought.

lol, so funny.

#29 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 00:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

easy now. let's just let this one go. the issue has already been addressed and solved. no need to drag it out.

#30 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 01:12

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Jon MakMak - another keyboard terrorist,....sad really.

I wouldn't call 4 x 6 weeks (in Thailand alone) a regular tourist vacation. Besides, Bruce clearly says that he has been to SE Asia more times than that, he just chooses not to include them as he was not travelling around much - just working.

Jon MakMak, I'm relatively new to this board but for you to critic others is a bit rich. All I've seen you so is abuse other peoples posts while offering no help or advice when people ask - maybe I didn't look hard enough,...then again, maybe I don't care enough.

I wonder, perhaps you are jealous that you aren't big enough a personality for someone to make a post about you? Maybe you could fill us in on why you are such an expert on SE Asia?

#31 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 01:30

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Quote:

"If its the wishy-washy one wants, there are other sites." Bruce Moon.

Bye bye Travelfish, welcome to the Bruce Moon Show.

Yes, I expect that's alright jon mak_mak. Robust dialogue, just what the doctor prescribed.

#32 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 01:36

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

blimey... at least i know more about Bruce now... interesting story Bruce

now everyone just chill the **** out

Stuart - Loads of naughty words on here you should probably edit or something

#33 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 03:50

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Nice thread to wake up to --- not sure what happened to the bad word filter, will need coffee before looking at that.

I've deleted some of the posts in the above and also cut out those naughty words -- you people go wash your mouth out with soap.

I think the OPs question has been answered, yes? Nothing more to see here, please move on.

#34 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 05:13

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I think Somsai has a point. I believe you don't really know a place unless you live there for some time.

#35 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 07:41

• sacott

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2009

I feel bad now as I started this thread.

I'd like to say sorry to Bruce, I really don't agree with any of the slagging going on in here.

It is a real pity that on such a great forum which exists for fellow travelers to converse there should be such comments. I don't believe anyone with valid contributions tee nee should have any reason to offend others.

My apologies again.
    Scott

#36 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 14:31

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Scott, certainly don't feel like that.
    It's defo not you who should feel ilke they owe an apology. What started as a humerous and good natured thread was hijacked by others.

Anyway, whats done is done.

Stuart, perhaps you could create a superusers board that only they can see - perhaps a minimum number of posts to get access? That way those who seem to enjoy having a right good old go at each other can do so without scaring off the newbies (of which I still consider myself).

#37 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 00:31

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I actually enjoyed this thread very much because people are being real and I learned a lot about Bruce Moon. I don't think Bruce or anyone else give a sh** about anyone hating on him. Look at what the guy has been through, I don't think he's gonna loose any sleep if someone has some negative things to say about him.

BTW Bruce I see you have never been to Korea. Look into Jeju Island and let me know when to expect you!

Cheers!

#38 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 21:26

• patrickien

Click here to learn more about patrickien
    Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2009
    Location Netherlands

Bruce's reaction to my very first post was to say the least a tad on the sarky side ! to which I replyed with my own bit of wit ( or a couple of sarky answers) the next time bruce replyed it was with info that was extreemly helpfull.My conclusion if you can give it -you can take it and Bruce doesn't seem to have any problems with "taking it"
    Anyway nobodys got the patent on knowledge and were all here to hear wot somebody else has got to say or write yeah??
    Keep on enjoying life Bruce!
    Greetings patrickien
    P.S. By the time you read this Bruce we'll ave kept the ashes!!( ha ha That'll confuse a few people)

#39 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 19:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bruce Moon's reply + goodbye ... By ValeBM on 14 Sep 2009 0 2705 14 Sep 2009