admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Title really says it all... what do you look for in a good beach?

I guess though there could be more than one answer -- afterall, I'm at the beach at the moment, in a cafe/bar with WiFi ... my feet could be in the sand if only my screen wasn't so reflective, but if I didn't need the WiFi, I probably wouldn't touch this beach with a bargepole ...

If I didn't need the WiFi, I'd prefer to see all "that" gone and just have the sand and sea, with the nearest buildings a good ten minute walk away -- what about you?

#1 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 15:09

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I hate beaches that have a busy road or a promenade running behind them with shops, bars, restaurants, souvenir shops and traffic ... I'd far rather have to walk a bit to a beach and be well away from all that stuff. Also once a beach has concrete resorts on it there's no way of turning the clock back and getting that picture perfect tropical beach back again...EVER.

Future generations may devise a more intelligent way of doing things but at this rate countries like Thailand soon won't have any unspoilt beaches left for them to work with.

I also don't want other people's ghetto blasters and radios "entertaining" me when I'm sitting on a beach. I happen to like the sound of the waves but you often can't hear waves, just techno rap hip hop trance and/or piped hotel music. What did god invent mp3 players and ipods for?

Nice sand is OK but I get bored just lying about reading and getting skin cancer. I don't like beaches with banana boats, jet skis, karaoke, donkey rides or ascentional parachutes as "entertainment" though. My favourite beaches are those that have a healthy coral reef within swimming distance from the shore and scenic walks nearby rather than shops and internet cafes.

No money in tourists like me though, is there?

Where ARE you Somtam? it doesn't sound that great!

#2 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 17:36

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

What do you look for in a good beach?

sand

#3 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 18:48

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom

and money :0)

#4 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 18:56

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ditto SBE ... no concrete structures, good coral nearby, and no road access. Relative isolation. Sand that doesn't wreck your feet. Some shade and a place to hang a hammock.

Corsica, I discovered, has some mind-blowing beaches, but during the tourist season they fill with yachts and pleasure craft that destroy the atmosphere.

I just read a great cycling journal on Crazy Guy on a Bike, and the guy doing the trip slept/camped on Thai beaches all the way down the Gulf coast, and every single one of them were completely empty (and some of them looked like landfill sites from all the trash that had washed up.) So, there are lots of empty beaches. We just need to get to them.

Hey Somtam, how about a branch for cycling? There's one for motorbiking. How about one for the more green way of getting around?

Cheers.

#5 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 19:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Tilapia, what you mean a forum like this?

Cycle in Asia

:-)

I've populated it with some old discussions -- but hopefully it will fill out over time as the motorcycling and diving ones are...

SBE - Am still in Sanur, leaving for Sulawesi in a week or so... have had some distractions that have put the trip back a litle...

On beaches -- I'm finding, now with two rugrats in tow, my idea of the perfect beach is morphing somewhat!

Cheers

#6 Posted: 15/8/2009 - 21:31

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Somtam

Come to Currumbin Beach and I'll show you!

Cheers

#7 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 15:12

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

That's not nice, I should've explained...

A good beach (for me) is one where:

* there is clean water. Muddy/cloudy water just doesn't cut it.

* the sand is clean (oh, so important). Sadly, SE Asians are not (anti)litter conscious.

* there is fringing vegetation between the sand and the 'mainland' (urbanity). This makes the beach relaxed in ambience.

* there is reasonable entry access. Don't like the 5 mile hike to gain access.

* I like waves, but it's not a given (eg. look here ).

* I love a point break, but again, not a given (eg. as in here ).

* I also like beaches that have food options close by. While my local beach is Currumbin and has a couple of cafe's and bars, that's merely a luxury.

* Normally, I don't like being crowded out. Then again, I was at Coogee the other day eating Turkish 'n' dips with a cold beer, amongst a crowd and it was great. So, it depends on location and ambience (and NO touts selling).

Cheers

#8 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 13:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Title really says it all... what do you look for in a good beach?"

Hot Chica's in bikins. Preferably topless.

#9 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 16:26

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John (MAC)

I suggest Stuart was asking about detail IN a good beach NOT ON a beach.

Mmmm!!!

What would your lovely wife say of your thoughts?

Cheers

#10 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 19:00

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

In, on... not a big difference.

My wife and I have been together ten years. She can read my mind.

#11 Posted: 18/8/2009 - 23:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.