Idle banter forum

The Elephant in the room

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have noticed that I am just about the only person here to talk about womanizing in Asia. It's almost as though this theme is ignored - not it's not almost.. it is ignored. Men chase women here - well almost all of them. It's normal. But somehow, on travelfish, it's completely ignored. Anyone care to clarify? Are all the men here gay or what?

#1 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 03:18

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i just don't know enough about it in asia to be honest mate...

there is womanising (s or z?) here in the UK as well, some men folk just can't help themselve can they... doesn't matter where they are - but this not all men obviously

"Are all the men here gay or what?"... where? ... with you?

#2 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 03:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey MADMAC,

certainly the womanizing is a big part of the local culture, and there are still a percentage of sex tourists visiting Thailand too. but i think the reason it doesn't come up here on Travelfish is more the demographics of who uses this site more than anything else. most of the people here are younger, who from my experience aren't the lion's share of pat pong or soi cowboy foot traffic anyway, and many of us are travelling with partners already.

in fact, i read an article in a travel journal not all that long ago that said the new breed of thailand traveller/tourist isn't that into the girly bar sex scene. they are still hooking up, but with each other and not necessarily going for the fee-for-service options.

from time to time there have been a few questions about red light districts or things like that, but even then it was mostly from a "just curious" point of view.

i can't say what the view might be like from downtown Mukdahan, but that's what i've noticed recently. does that answer your question?

#3 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 07:01

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Very funny title. There is a reference to the-" elephant-in-the-room" in another post, and I thought this was what this post was referring to. Perhaps a Harry Potter character might be more appropriate in the latter case - he who must not be named.

#4 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 07:43

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I tend to agree with Exacto's comment althought the connotations of going to Thailand means different things to different people. I had to laugh the other day at work when I was explaining I was heading back to Thailand in Nov. for a week to do some diving on my own.First comment from some blokes was great you'll be able hook up with the local bar girls. When I explained that my wife trusts me to go on my own and i've never done that while i've been married never mind what country I'm in no-one believed me.

#5 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 08:11

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

My impression is that most of the questions asked in the Travel Fish forums are asked by people looking to plan their trips.

If the main purpose of your trip is to pick up local women, how much travel advice do you really need?

#6 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 08:25

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well there's not many discussions about about where to pick up a good lookin' fella either...

On past experience on TF, discussions in this regard tend to descend extremely quickly into Q&As on where to go get laid -- I nuke the threads.

Why?
    Firstly they're often extremely demeaning to women -- or men for that matter -- have had some eye-opening shockers in the past on the later.

Secondly, there's other forums largely built around this topic -- teakdoor for example -- and people looking for this kind of info will get far more useful advice there than they will here.

#7 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 08:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I can see exacto's point. But I am surprised it doesn't come up at all as an adjunct to a trip. But demograghics do help explain that a lot.

#8 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 12:15

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Not gay Madmac. :) If I remember right not to long ago you posted a comment about backpackers making judgements about us being with an asian woman. There was some disagreement with your opinion on the western man/asian woman relationship to say the least. As I am not a masochist, I tend not to open myself to such abuse. LOL Maybe we should start a topic about women coming here for men and women. Several months ago I read an article about western women taking sex vacations to Kenya. As I am now in a steady relationship with a lady, I don't do to much of it anymore. Don't want to wake up watching my dick being thrown out the window. I don't think I could out run the soi dogs anymore. LOL

#9 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 12:36

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Seems to me that contributors to this site are more interested in the travelling side of Asia rather than the sex scene.As Somtan says there are other sites that deal with this subject-Stickman Bangkok is one that comes to mind.

#10 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 15:15

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Well it's also a totally gauche subject.

Women really really frown on this one, it's like calling them chicks and stuff. I personaly feel like I'm enough of a loser that I don't need to ecourage western women to laugh at me even more.

I'll give you a cultural tip for free Madmac. Do not go to your cousins store and bring this up. All those women from the embassies, NGO execs, and rich trendy tourist women don't like hearing about the bar scene at all.

#11 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 21:09

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Strangely, theren't are many posts on here from drug mules, either. I wonder why.

'Hi, everyone; I'm a drug mule considering strapping several kilos of heroin to my body and catching a plane from Bangkok. Have any of you any tips ? Thanks in advance.'

Maybe they have their own forum; this one's for travellers.

#12 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 23:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I'll give you a cultural tip for free Madmac. Do not go to your cousins store and bring this up. All those women from the embassies, NGO execs, and rich trendy tourist women don't like hearing about the bar scene at all."

That's why I have to bring it up - just to get under their skin!!!

"Strangely, theren't are many posts on here from drug mules, either. I wonder why."

Because running drugs is a capital crime in these parts? I'm just guessing here.

"Maybe they have their own forum; this one's for travellers."

Are travelers celibate? Is it some sort of priesthood? Think about it - you ask where you can find lodging, where you can find good food, where you can trek - sex is evedry bit as normal an activity (and for most even more necessary than, say swimming) as those activities are. I am a little surprised it doesn't come up as part of a tourists travel schedule. I get the feeling everyone is tip toeing around it to be politially correct.

#13 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 14:24

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

if you need to ask on a travel forum about where to get sex then you're obviously pretty hard up and will be paying for it anyway.

#14 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

In southeast Asia you are always going to be paying for it. Matt Dillon was paying for it when he was making "City of Ghosts". I don't care who you are, it ain't for free.

#15 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:51

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

MD was paying for lots of things when he was in Phnompenh for that gig - chicks the least of it.

#16 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:54

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

Sorry and I meant to say, as much as the Thai part of that flick was utter crap, I enjoyed the Cambodia bits. Except for the rave party which was a bit puke-inducing.

MD walking over the border with a suitcase oh give me a ******* break.

#17 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:56

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

I don't understand why my posts are going before i want.

Depardieu made the perfect worn out barman. PP needs more bars like that.

#18 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I liked the Thai part of the flick - particularly when he is introduced to "Rocky". "I'll make a lady our of her yet." Man, what a great line.

And I agree, Depardieu was perfect for the role.

The story line is unexceptional and improbable, but the atmoshpere was very well done.

#19 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 16:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.