Idle banter forum

Who is somtam2000

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

ok I read the BruceMoon discussion, but I want to know who is somtam2000 and why don't you use your real name? What are you hiding from? It's stuart right? or samantha?

#1 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 14:57

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

And who is spikeybrain and who are YOU hiding from? ;-p

It's Stuart I think because he sometimes signs posts with his real name.

Somtam2000 doesn't exactly "hide" who he is so I'm not sure why you ask. Did't you notice it's got admin written next to his name?

#2 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:24

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

it's spiky brain actually. And I'm not hiding-it is my name.

I mean who he thinks he is telling people about asia. From wehat I understand he lives in bali and that isn't even on this site. I think it's a fair question to ask.

who are you?

#3 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:28

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry about the typo. Many posters have gently pointed out to Somtam that we really would appreciate an edit function on here ... hopefully it will be up and running by late November ... or else!! ;-)

I'm somebodyelse BTW. Nice to meet you spikybrain.

#4 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:41

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

likewise

#5 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:59

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

this keeps happening my message goes before i want.

Are you the same somebodyelse as on thorntree?

If so, why did you change your username.

and, also if so, is teza here too?

#6 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 16:03

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Have a read of http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2009070126814/Life-Style/Hook-line-and-rising-fast.html

It's an interview with somtam... I think he's earned the right to advise people on asia... and he's helped me and many others in doing so... Many thanks somtam!

#7 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 18:16

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Mr. Brain

pretty odd post.

"I mean who he thinks he is telling people about asia"

i'm not sure telling is the right word for one. You have found this site, Somtam didnt find you and bombard you with information about Asia. Whats more, you have joined this site! so you must see some value in it??

Its fairly easy to find out abit of information about Travelfish and it's owner. I don't think its hidden. Furthermore, when relevant, Somtam has revealed some things about who he is in various posts. I guess there is some merit in trying to find out if the owner of a site has experience or that he practices what he preaches, however, if the information here was bogus i doubt it would be as popular and, as its a business, if no one visited then it would cease to exist.

I don't really see that it matters where Stuart/Somtam lives. I think Somtam has been a travel writer for a long time [a few books some time ago] and is based in a country fairly near to most of the countries on this site; giving good access. Similarly, i'm fairly certain Travelfish hire writers to do research for them. In which case Somtam isn't always the one 'telling' but it might often be a researcher who has been to that country recently [in relation to the publication of the information].

Live long and prosper

#8 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 18:48

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i meant "Miss.Brain"

Very sorry :-)

#9 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 18:52

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Somtam?

Only the most authoritative accurate up to date source of independent travel information on South East Asia. Researched and up dated not by trip reports or tips but by paid observant staff having been there recently. I'm not sure if it's one or two people or just a papaya salad, I'd call it Tom Mak Kune.

#10 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 18:57

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

spikybrain

As one who does not hide behind a nom de plume (or anything else), I'm intrigued by both your name and your comment why don't you use your real name?.

As the instigators of Travelfish, I would have thought you'd recognise that Stuart (and Samantha) neither need introduction/recognition, nor have to establish credentials.

But, then again, a blurb 'about us' would really make the site more personal.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 19:15

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

#12 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 19:22

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Thanks Emjay, I'd never known same was there. I have no idea how you linked to it.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 19:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm locking this thread off, mainly because spikybrain is a new username for an old member who was banned some time ago. Not sure what they were trying to achieve with this and, by the looks of it, quite a few other posts, but this is what I get for deciding to have an afternoon off drinking beers on the beach LOL.

SB -- you're banned -- again...

To all else, tks for the kind words. the Somtam2000 username is used interchangeably by three people -- SB got two of them, but it doesn't really matter who they are.

#14 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 21:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.