Idle banter forum

Nasty bee

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

So a friend of mine is here visiting, and I thought I'd take him up the mountain in Kamcha-i. Big mistake. Last time I climbed that mountain, it was the dry season, and it was easy going up the "path". This time, it was overgrown, and my Thai friends turned back quickly. I was passing a rock and a HUGE bee (or wasp) came flying out of a hole in the rock and stung me - just a quick hit. He didn't land. The he hovered in front of my face as if to taunt me. We went another three hundred meters or so, and decided to turn back as well. Too many snakes of the non-friendly kind for my taste (and my friend). passing the rock that SOB came flying out again and tried to nail me, but this time I was able to move away. It then hovered in front of my friend, daring him to go by. First time I have seen a single wasp living alone that was territorial, aggressive, and huge.

#1 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 11:33

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

John (MAC)

I suspect from your account you'd not appreciate Australia.

Clearly, some are bred tougher than others!!!

hehehe

Cheers

#2 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 12:06

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Not a very nice experience there Madmac.Did you have any reaction to the sting?

#3 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 15:06

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

I got hit on the hand by a monstrous hornet hiking through the forest on a wildlife trek in Khao Yai NP, a violent and incredibly painful sting, like no other insect sting I've ever encountered and I've been stung dozens of times by yellow jacket wasps and bees. Stung me while in flight, like your experience. Amazing that I somehow had the presence of mind to immediately pull off my wedding ring before the swelling began, and boy howdy did it swell. Made me feel a bit woozy for the rest of the day and the swelling took the better part of the next 10 days to go down. Sounds like maybe you got hit by a hornet as well.

#4 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 23:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I had some minor swelling, nothing serious. I think I was lucky there.

Bruce, I love the desert, so I suspect the desert part of Australia (which is much of it) with high heat and rocky surfaces would appeal to me. My favorite place in the world is the Ogaden Desert of Ethiopia. But I would definitely NOT like Australian swamps - filled as they are with irritating creatures.

climbing that Mountain this time of year is just a flat out no go. You are sure to get bitten by a snake. They were all over place. Pythons, King Cobras - not good.

#5 Posted: 26/8/2009 - 15:05

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

John (MAC)

Depending on which authority you select, the deadliest snake in the world is the inland Taipan or the king Brown. Both are desert creatures. Go look at our top 10 here .

Cheers

#6 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 05:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Australia certainly has it's share of nasty snakes. But it's easier to avoid snakes in the desert. In the jungle you can't see a foot in front of you in the rainy season.

Today I was out at a friends property on the Mekong and nearly stepped on one. But he was small, and definitely not aggressive.

#7 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 16:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.