Idle banter forum

1st Night in Bangkok

• ctam2009

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009

My flight into Bangkok lands around 11pm, and I was wondering if people would suggest 'winging it' the first night, or actually getting something booked up for the first night as we're getting in a little late. Young couple, looong flight from Canada -> Bangkok but usually energetic. hah. Thanks for any advise you can give!
    -Happy travels!

#1 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 07:09

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi guys,

i tend to book a room for my first night in a big city, particularly when i'm arriving late at night. those flights from north america can often run late too. the last time i was scheduled to land in bangkok on one of those 11 pm flights, by the time we cleared immigration and customs and then got to the hotel, it was well after 2 am. great time to go get a bowl of noodles and a beer by the way.

if you do decide to book ahead, be sure to pick a hotel that claims to have 24-hour (or at least late) front desk hours. hope that helps. regards.

#2 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 07:24

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

ctam2009

I'm with exacto on this one.

While the flight is scheduled to arrive - it may be delayed, etc.

Book a night, then see how you fare after that.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 08:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Three of us - get a room. Who wants to play "find a room" after being on the plane ride from ****.

#4 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 12:14

• ctam2009

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009

Thanks everyone. Heading out Friday, and couldn't be more excited!

#5 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 17:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Have a good time. I just left Bangkok yesterday. Was OK, but I'm glad to be home.

#6 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 22:03

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Have a great time. I am with the others, always, always book the first nights accommodation after a long flight (and all flights from Australia are long). What is the worst that can happen?

#7 Posted: 2/9/2009 - 15:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.