Idle banter forum

New look forum pages

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Yep, the newer look for the forum pages - with the "Do try a search before posting a new question..." 'box' above the posts, and the 'other' forum links to the left - is IMHO a good enhancement.

My only suggestion is - could the term "Do try a search before posting a new question..." be in a strong colour and also bold to really attract attention?

Cheers

#1 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 18:32

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

should cut down your number of post eh Bruce?

#2 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 19:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Main purpose was to get the search above the fold. Will watch the stats for a while and decide from there.

Tks

#3 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 19:13

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

And if I may make a timid suggestion ... how about putting links to the suggested itineraries in full view too?

People never seem to find them buried in the bottom of the "before you go" box at the top of the page and requests for itinerary suggestions are one of the most frequently asked questions on the forum.

#4 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 19:36

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

chrispy - why are you to judge anyway? The guy is retired and his passion in life is travel.

BTW great idea, too much redundancy on the message boards.

#5 Posted: 3/9/2009 - 20:12

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

hi matt - that was a joke, as some of Bruce's posts started with instructions on how to search

get it?

#6 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 03:25

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Chris

hehehehe

Glad you decoded, it was a bit too obscure for me.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 04:34

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Stuart

"Main purpose was to get the search above the fold. Will watch the stats for a while and decide from there."

I do hope it proves successful (as noted a strong colour may also assist).

If it 'stays', maybe the third of the grey area currently devoted to the Search Travelfish could be rejigged to take the 'Trips' from the Before you go section. Thus, there could be Trip Ideas - Before you go - Buy a Travelfish guide.

And, if I could be a little more cheeky, I'd suggest also that on the left, under the various Forum Quicklinks, and below Travelfish About Us | Travelfish Guides | Competitions, you put a few words together to alert the (newer) viewer to the fact of the 2 (maybe 3) boxes with details in the grey area. To my mind, that may serve to reinforce/educate/assist/etc.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 05:15

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

If I can be a little cheeky, I don't think too much BB code and strong colour assists in the least!

In fact it makes my eyes glaze over and I usually skip all those bits. :-)

#9 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 05:29

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

That's one of the problems with written language - it's so easy to skip over and thus fail to grasp the writers' argument/intentions. And, this further complicates the very fact that what is read is coloured by personal experience and so changes the flavour of what the writer intended, and a quite different meaning can often result.

For me, repetitive similarity breeds eye glazing over. It is because of slight distractions that a message can be enhanced, made more appealing, etc.: though, that's not to say I get the balance right.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 05:52

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I went away from my post (immediately above) to read my emails. On one, a reference was made to a webpage talking about blogging (and how to enhance audience) it's here .

What struck me was the following (in your fav presentation...)...

"Another thing that's easy to dismiss is the personality inherent in the writing. Posts on these sites are definitively personable. The prerequisite bitchiness allows for a lot of the author's personality to come through, which makes for very engaging reading.

I then thought Ah, now I know why SBE continues to have a go at me - she's helping Travelfish!!!

Cheers

#11 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 06:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Top of the page search searches the entire site, while the one above the messageboard searches the messageboard only.

SBE we're going to bundle up the itineraries in a different way - am aware they're buried at the moment.

tks

#12 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 06:42

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Stuart

"Top of the page search searches the entire site, while the one above the messageboard searches the messageboard only.

That's an important differentiation that is no-where explained.

Personally, I'd make the new 'search' (position) search all of Travelfish, and thus delete the other. My experience of the search everything is that the question (if somewhat focussed) tends to pop up answers applicable to the Forum topic site. So, the differentiation appears unnecessary.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 07:23

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yeah I'm trying to help travelfish Bruce. It's bloody hard work!

Regarding the lurid BB "enhancements" that think everyone should use to make their posts more appealing:

I'd have thought people who ask travel questions on a forum like this would be interested enough in the answers not to need to be kept awake by "slight distractions".

If you overdo BB emphasis, all you see is a jumbled mess of various colours, fonts, underlining etc. Does underlining something mean it's more important than what's in bold or vice versa? Does red text indicate something different than purple or green text?

There is no real clue for the reader as to what is particularly important and what isn't.

Speaking for myself, cogent arguments hold my attention far more than text enhancements and I'm far more likely to read every word of a concise post than a long rambling one.

Maybe some people actually enjoy being subjected to thundering sermons about what they should do but I think the majority of people prefer to be treated as intelligent equals!

#14 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 08:24

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Fair point!

Cheers

#15 Posted: 4/9/2009 - 09:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.