Idle banter forum

A tribute to the one and only

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

This is not related to him being banned so it is justifiable to start a new thread.

Here is a tribute I made for the man. Please enjoy and add some more if you would like.

These comments are from two threads. I could find 100s more but I thought this would be a good start.

ENJOY!!

"From what I can gather the Guy has extensive experience of traveling through SEA, and his advice is well thought out & presented objectivly."
    -Skimonkey

I don't agree with Bruce on lots of things... but I like him.
    -MADMAC

Go to the trip reports and check his travel blog. Absolutely outstanding.
    -MADMAC

Maybe we could have a side line in BMoon stickers........
    -Skimonkey

I just want to say that I'm new here and I wasn't sure about the boat thing at luangparabang. After reading heaps I made a question and BruceMoon provided so much help. He really seems to know lots about the boats. I don't know who he is but he helped me heaps. And, he's helping other people too. BruceMoon you are a winner.
    -SEQfunbod

It's so great to have honest people like you on here giving advice from past experiences.
    -sacott

Bruce's contributions on that platform have been, frankly, invaluable
    -angfonz

I've asked 2 questions. On one...brucemoon answered in detail quickly. I also asked a question about 4000 islands, brucemoon didn't answer. I wish he did. .. If it wasn't for brucemoon I probably wouldn't be bothering about going to Laos...Yes, bring him back
    -SEQfunbod

Even my missus, who hardly ever looks at Travelfish, knows the name 'Bruce Moon'... That says something, don't you think??
    The thing is, Bruce is entertaining.
    He is an asset.
    Above all though, he's entertaining, end of story, and I for one think this site will be poorer without him.
    -bronzedwarrior

However Brucemoon you have give excellent advice to me, better than any other website.
    -Nywoman

I vote to bring him back...i've only just started posting and he helped me tremendously.
    -furneburner

(i) A bit ironic that most of those comments come from new/newer members. Wasn't he banned because he kept people from coming back? Hah. Bruce you done stole too much thunder! That is what happens!(i)

Keep it real man, you will be missed!

#1 Posted: 14/9/2009 - 22:41

• Advertisement

• Noggins

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2009

Someone has got WAY too much time on their hands...I could equally post a thread of everything bad everyone said about bruce moon...but really, why would i want to waste my time! Havent been on her for ages and v.surprised to not see bruces name dominating every single thread, and now i know why!

#2 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 05:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I've got to say, Travelfish is a lot less active and a lot more boring with Bruce gone.

#3 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 15:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Given what I'm supposed to be doing is so absolutely mind-numbingly boring, MADMAC's comment above gave me the opportunity to go and crunch the numbers on this.

While the numbers can't answer the boring issue given it's a pretty subjective call, they can address the activity question.

So, I ran a date breakdown on total posts back to the start of September (around 2,000 give or take) and which gives us a convenient spread of 11 days before BM's suspension and 11 days after.

There has been a slight drop in overall posts, with the moving average dropping around 6 posts per day. This fits in fairly well as BM's average post level was 7.5 posts a day across the duration of his activity on the site.

More interestingly perhaps is that the number of members posting on the board has increased -- not hugely, but an increase nevertheless.

A lot less active, no sorry, that's not the case. More boring -- well perhaps, but that's a pretty subjective area.

Cheers!

#4 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 16:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, certainly less active in the posts and categories I am interested in... Across the board, probably not, as I don't post hardly at all in any of the "On the Road" threads, and only a touch on "Before you leave".

#5 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 17:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Agreed Idle Banter is indeed quieter -- but then, the entire forum used to be a very quiet place -- people come and go.

#6 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 17:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Friends come and go, enemies accumulate.

#7 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 22:02

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer...

#8 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 22:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Friends accumulate too!

Enemies though can make life interesting - there's a hotelier in Sihanoukville that has said he'll kill me if he ever meets me -- that's one of the upsides of reviewing properties anonymously, and I'm sure there's a few travel agents in Vietnam that have particularly unkind things to say about me...

Comes with the territory I guess.

#9 Posted: 23/9/2009 - 06:19

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Is that what happened?? :(

I have been thinking he must have been off on a trip somewhere and was hoping he would return before I left for mine.

I found his posts incredibly informative. Yes, I agree at times he appeared very black and white in his opinion, but he took the time to answer the queries of strangers and included as much information as possible.

No offence to the admin of this site, but you have lost an asset. Since he hasn't been here, the response and information provided to queries is slower and much less detail.

I do hope his banning is temporary.

#10 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 09:24

• Advertisement

• Puggles

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

I've now read a little more (the marvels of the 'idle banter' threads I have only just discovered) and it seems that the banning may have been justified.

I truly hope it is only temporary though. I still feel BruceMoon was a an asset to this site.... even if a little recalcitrant ;)

#11 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 09:35

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I didn't even know he was banned. Just curious as to why?

#12 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 10:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Stuart was annoyed with him... but he's about to let him back on, huh Stuart?

#13 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 17:19

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

He's letting him back on??????

#14 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 18:22

• laallee

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009

ive got the impression bruce moon wouldnt "return"
    bigger fish to fry????

#15 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 19:11

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Puggles at #10 mostly all the same information is available by simply doing a search of this site, that's mostly where it came from anyway. If not here a search of past posts on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree, Rough Guides portions of which can be read online, or old LP books.

#16 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 19:29

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Somsai never stops hating on Bruce....

Dude what's your problem anyway? Does it bother you when a newbie praises someone else?

I think in addition to Bruce's helpfulness, it was the tone of his writing that we all liked so much.

Your posts are dry toast, his were interesting.

#17 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 20:28

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

De da de da de dum
    dum de dum de da
    da de da de da
    dum de dum de dum

#18 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 20:52

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Dry Toast! :-(

Anxiously awaiting one of your posts other than, "I've gota crush on BM" Where do you post, I'll go look. I don't know who are newbies, much less care. Ever been to SEAsia?

#19 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 06:22

• Puggles

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

somsai, I am aware of several other sites where I can obtain information....and google is one of my dearest friends. :)

I have purchased every guide book I have found in books stores regarding my travels including LP and Footprint and I have also paid for a few guides on this site.

However, with BruceMoon, I found someone who:
    a) is a fellow countryman and so his advice can be specific and unique to my queries;
    b) I don't have to read through pages and pages of information that is not relevant to find out what I want to know; and
    c) his responses usually contain his own personal experiences of his travels which is far better than reading the recommendations of a commercial travel site.

#20 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 06:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Somsai
    When it comes to understanding people, you are as ignorant as Kii Kwai!

#21 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 12:35

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Jesus! Talk about a 'Love In'. He's gone. So what? He has good advice. get his email address or go and have a cry and see if it makes you feel better. The guy always gave me good advice but he was warned.

By the way he talked i guess he was of a 'mature' age and a 'seasoned' traveler as well. If you havent learned how to deliver information in a way that doesnt draw complaints when you reach that stage in life then you need to have a word with yourself.

#22 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 23:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Geezy
    All I'll say is he seems like a good guy to me, and an asset to the board. I find Somsai and Rufus both more offensive, yet I would never recommend they be banned.

#23 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 02:54

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Agree with Madmac's last post, not about those two in particular as they've never upset me,...then again, nobody on a travel forum could spoil my day, certainly not to the extent wher I complain.

Anyway:

Stuart, you can't compare the 11 days before the banning with the 11 days after. There were so many views of certain threads specific to Bruces banning and of course a great many comments. Additionaly, as the peak tourist season approaches the board will no doubt become busier. Point is, you can't draw any conclusions at all from the sample you have taken.

#24 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 05:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK Stuart, I'd say his probabtionary period was long enough wouldn't you? Let's let him back on the board.

#25 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 18:24

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

I'm pretty sure he's allowed back, he just chooses not to go "where he's not wanted"

#26 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 18:30

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Well, Brucie if you're reading this - you are wanted!

#27 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 23:59

• Puggles

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Interestingly, to my limited pereception, the board is still much quieter.

I note (again, just my personal perception and observations) that in older threads when BruceMoon was here, he only needed to respond to a thread and this encouraged many others to also respond.

Some responded to get 'one up on him' others responded to debate, and others responded just to add their thoughts or experiences.

This response level seems to have dropped, particularly among some of the more vocal opponents to BruceMoon.

Bruce, if you are reading this and you are able to re-join this forum then please consider doing so.

#28 Posted: 13/10/2009 - 09:18

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Of course, you are correct.
    I think they enjoyed their keyboard battles with Bruce.
    Place just isn't the same.

#29 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 03:08

• jasonkim8486

Click here to learn more about jasonkim8486
    Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009
    Location United States

he musta been really breakin balls to get kicked outta travel advice forum, what did he do??

#30 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 04:34

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Well, it's all kinda pathetic, but look here:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/idlebanter/7573_was-bruce-banned-

#31 Posted: 15/10/2009 - 00:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

So has Bruce been allowed back in?

I'm in email contact with him, so I'll ask him to log on.

#32 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 18:26

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Just to clear up, I don't mean the admins were pathetic, I mean the complainers...

I didn't know he had been MADMAC, I've never heard Stuart confirm it. Would be nice.

#33 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 03:10

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

#34 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 07:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.