admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Guardian has put together an especially odd list of 50 eateries.

It is a very Euro-centric collection, but one really caught my eye:

"5. Best place to eat: Pho
    Pho 24, Vietnam
    ...However, the sleek chain restaurant Pho 24, with branches around the country and across Asia, produces Vietnam's most reliably good pho. The meat is of a consistently high quality – a rarity in Vietnam – and the stock impresses even the hardest-to-please critics."

Phi24 is fine for a tourist friend bowl of noodles, but it's not a country-mile within top dishes (imo)

Where did you have your best Pho? And what other all those other fantastic, yet totally under-represented Asian dishes?

You can read the full story here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/13/best-foods-in-the-world

#1 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 21:55

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The Guardian - I can't stomach to read it anymore. A lot of corporate media is less than forthright, but the Guardian is just loathsome.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 01:44

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well he got #1 completely wrong because I happen to know that the best oysters in the WHOLE WORLD can be found in a town called Cancale, in Brittany!

If he doesn't even know that then the rest must all be completely wrong too. ;-)

#3 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 02:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Won't comment on the food, as that's a pretty subjective thing. What my father in law considers gross I love, and what he loves I wouldn't feed the dog.

But as for the rest of that rag...

#4 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 12:22

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I never got why people love pho so much. It's just noodle soup with (usually) chewy chunks of beef! Boring.

Now tom yam goong is a different story...

#5 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 12:45

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

The best place I ever had pho is on some random street corner restaurant in Hanoi. You'll never find the best at some chain. Rather some old lady on the street that has been making it for years.
    It should say that the best Pho is available at any super crowded Pho restaurant where the locals eat it.

I'll share a favorite asian dish. It's a Korean dish called Muul-whey (물회), translates to "sashimi water." A cold sashimi soup. So good and unique!

#6 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 19:06

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

The Gardian article went to press before my blog post of last week, obviously. You've never been to Pakse if you haven't had foe at the Lankham Hotel,:

Idreamof that's like saying what's the big deal about durian, just a mushy fruit. You've never had good foe. (I use Joe Cummings' translilteration)

#7 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 19:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Figures you would like it - I hate Durian. Stinks to high heaven.

Easily my favorite Asian dish (if we don't count the Poo Poo platter with pork fried rice I got at South Pacific in Boston) is Gai Pad Met ma Mauang.

As for Korean - without a doubt it's Bulgogi (sp?) for me. Just delicious.

#8 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 22:08

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Korea has the best BBQ restaurants in the world. And I never knew about this style of meat before I came here. They take the pork bellies, the bacon cut, and slice it thick, then you bbq it at your table in the restuarant. Man ol man its good!

Durian is the king of fruits!

#9 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 22:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well then the king should be beheaded!!! Horrible.

#10 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 12:37

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Has anyone tested the "durian and alcohol do not mix" theory to see if it's true?

#11 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 14:46

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Has anyone tested the "durian and alcohol do not mix" theory to see if it's true?

there is scientific evidence. study was published this April showing how extracts of durian can inhibit the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase. liver uses this enzyme to reduce blood levels of acetaldehyde (aka. nail polish remover, formed when the liver breaks down alcohol; some released through lungs as 'beer breath') & hence the toxic effects of alcohol metabolism in the body (milder = hangover, severe = lethal).

guess whether or not these two do not mix depends on the individual, boils down to genes. those with mutant forms of the enzyme that are only ~8% as efficient as the normal form (i.e. have low alcohol tolerance) will be the first to KO from this combination ;) what a pity that Caucasians who are more likely to have the normal enzyme are also more likely to hate durian :P

#12 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 16:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"what a pity that Caucasians who are more likely to have the normal enzyme are also more likely to hate durian"

I guess I've got the normal enzyme.

#13 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 17:07

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I've noticed that a lot of foreigners (mostly those with XY genes) can't drink Chang beer because it gives them terrible hangovers. Urban legend has it that Chang is full of formaldahyde but it sounds like it could be something to do with higher levels of nail varnish remover?

Could sensitivity to beer Chang act as a predictor as to whether or not you can safely combine durian and alcohol or not?

#14 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 22:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I've noticed that a lot of foreigners (mostly those with XY genes) can't drink Chang beer because it gives them terrible hangovers."

This is funny - I can't drink Chang, it does give me terrible hangovers.

#15 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 23:23

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

sounds like it could be something to do with higher levels of nail varnish remover?

there shouldn't be high levels of acetaldehyde in the drink. liver has to break down the ethanol in whatever you've imbibed to form it.

#16 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 11:22

• williamtayl-
    or

Click here to learn more about williamtaylor
    Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2009
    Location Japan

"I've noticed that a lot of foreigners (mostly those with XY genes) can't drink Chang beer because it gives them terrible hangovers."

The massive changovers probably have little to do with any substance that is contained in Chang and more to do with the massive quantities of Chang that are consumed.

#17 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 21:30

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Nah, I know lots of guys who drink massive quantities of other brands of beer who flatly refuse to drink even one chang for fear of a crashing headache next morning.

These fragile-livered men are often heineken drinkers. Heinekan is probably my least favourite beer in Thailand ... it tastes like watered-down cats piss to me. I rather like the slightly bitter taste of chang though.

Maybe it is just a question of alcohol content rather than any additives.

#18 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 21:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I prefer Leo, and, surprisingly (I used to not particularly like it) beer Lao.

#19 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 22:41

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

reason for MADMAC to visit Laos = tour of Beer Lao factory (along road from Vientiane to Friendship bridge).

#20 Posted: 21/9/2009 - 23:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.