Idle banter forum

Tour Guide

• Spinnekop

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2009

Hi all, does anyone know what a private tour guide will cost daily in the larger cities of Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand e.g. (only an average guess needed in $) any decent English speaking guide that wont take you to jewelry shops

I'm not fussed about the transport even hanging onto the back of a motorbike would work, would even be preferable !

Just like to have a idea what the average cost would be, last time I was in Thailand I did everything solo and was mostly lost trying to figure out the culture aspects, traditions and way of life.

It would be great to dedicate a day or two in a city with a guide who understands the culture and can take you around, but is there any guides available that wont cost you a arm and a leg? What can I expect to spend a day on a guide?

#1 Posted: 25/10/2009 - 13:31

• Advertisement

• travelsalone

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2006
    Location Cambodia

I had an amazing trip to Cambodia, and must credit my unique experiences in both Siem Reap and other places I travelled to my guide in Siem Reap - am I allowed to say his name here and contact info? If so, I would be glad to, and if not, contact me directly of you want. Sophana charged me 22USD/day + motorcycle rental ($5-9/day), cheaper that tuk tuk or car. I think it was certainly worth it as Sophana was professional, extremely knowledgeable, versatile, always willing to help with things not directly associated with touring, and he has a beautiful and contagious smile! Sophana speaks and writes excellent English and I had no problems communicating with him through email and telephone prior to my trip, and in-person while with him. Mr. Sophana is not only knowledgeable about the temples, culture and Cambodia overall, but his passion for his country and people is strong and he is enthusiastic about sharing his passions. Sophana worked with me to tailor my trip specifically to my wants and needs and offered invaluable information and suggestions to help me with my trip decisions. In addition, when I left Siem Reap he put me in touch with others he trusted to help me during my travels. I highly recommend Mr. Sophana as not only a Siem Reap tour guide, but also as an invaluable asset to all facets of Cambodia travel. I am happy to answer any questions - I hope I have not broken Forum rules here...

#2 Posted: 25/10/2009 - 15:17

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

For a good tour guide in Bangkok, the rate is around 1000 baht per half-day, and 1500 baht for a whole day.

I just found this out from a friend who does tours all over the country.

#3 Posted: 25/10/2009 - 22:52

• Spinnekop

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2009

Great info thanks guys 1500 Baht isn't a bad rate for a entire day! I'm a guide myself and that rate is a steal, this would then include the transport as well I presume? Thanks for the info justs help with sorting out the budget for next year!

#4 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 13:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.