Idle banter forum

Should I go home for Christmas?

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I am having a troubled time at the
    moment mulling over whether to keep on traveling over Christmas rather than going
    home as planned. So far I pretty nicely
    under budget - although lets see what Bali does to that! - and reckon if I went to cheaper
    countries like Cambodia Vietnam or Thailand I could probably get another 2 months. Or I could head somewhere like new Zealand etc

a
    nice problem to have but still a problem!

#1 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 11:45

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Only you can decide that Christy. For me the answer would be hell no. I would stay here as long as possible - which in my case is the rest of my life. But some people get homesick, or want to be with family over the holidays... Only you can judge what's best for you.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 22:35

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Chris,

Definitely a personal choice. You could always pop over to Koh Maak and spend a few days with us if you'd like. :-)

I've always enjoyed spending non-holiday times with my family more than holiday times. It seems that everyone is so busy over the holidays, and that we have more fun together when there are no holiday-related pressures or expectations.

If you've got the time and the money and aren't bored or lonely, I can definitely see why you'd want to keep on truckin'. Any of those places you mentioned sound good to me, and the weather will be nicer than in the UK in January. Seize the day. Regards.

#3 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 02:23

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I think I was probably being hopeful and lazy in thinking someone would just tell me what to do haha it is idle banter afterall ... but I appreciate the help. At the moment I'm on the lonely side slightly but
    maye just because I've just got to Bali so it's all new and I've not met any people yet. I might just play it by ear. Take the flight out of Indonesia when I comes and just see what happens. My trip has been so unplanned it's untrue! I've certainly created
    some unnecessary carbon emissions

#4 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 08:17

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

cancel your return flight, see about a refund, look for an apartment and a job, find a local to give you very private language lessons. Go native.

#5 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 10:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's great advice somsai ;-)

#6 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 18:53

• laallee

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009

Christmas is a special time for families, for me , id head home!
    you can always resume your travels but you cant replace time spent with family at christmas----even the crappy moments!
    lee.

#7 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 03:58

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Somsai, I'm planning on doing something like that myself, how easy is it to do?
    Perhaps this should be a new thread.

#8 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 11:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.