Idle banter forum

MADMAC

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Currnetly in khorat, been kinda folling the int. i had discussed here.

Anyhow, heading for ubon soon and should be dropping into Muk on the 24th or 25th.

I'm not really into the whole party thing much which i guess is weird for a younger guy but if your free it would be cool to meet up.

know its kinda short notice.

my email is cbennett87@gmail.com

#1 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 00:00

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I won't be back on Muk until 3 December. I am still in the States. If you go to That Phanom, then deinitely get down to Mukdahan. Goi to Norees - you'll be glad you did.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 06:51

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

haha. ok np. maybe next time. but it looks like i will definately being heading there for a bit. ill check out the place you mentioned

#3 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 07:51

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Only been here a day but I really like it here. Everything is so easily located, walked to the tower and the river for a while after getting here and settling in. Seems so dead after 5pm, but theres pockets of very lively places. glad i came for sure.

Also, thinking of giving Noree's a shot but wasn't really sure the area it was in. Can you give a locale?

thanks

#4 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 18:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Places to go in Muk:

Good Mook Cafe. Down by immigration. About four doors up from it. Very European styles cafe. I strongly recommend the "Spaghetti Moo". Tell the waitress John says "hola senorita".

Norees is located down past the tower. It's on the right. There's a loud place called Kingdom - go past that. Then you'll see a small, nasty Karoake place. Go past that and Norees is the next place. GREAT live band. Dress warm there now.

Around the corner, towards the night market, are a couple of decent restaraunts and a small Cafe called Ban Cafe, and run by a guy names Ralph. Good friend of mine, always up for a game of chess. Na's place, two doors down from Ralph's, has decent burgers.

If you are hungry late at night (closes around three) then I recommend Ba bo jin. It is located on the main road near the Ploy (same road the hospital is on). Decent food, great for late night eating.

In my opinion the best restaurant in town for ambiance is Na Bop. It is down the river road, to the south of the Indochin market, about a mile down on the left. Lots of restaurants down there, all of them OK for the most part, but Na Bop is the best in my opinion.

The tower itself is an interesting little museum. You'll probably want to check that out. If you go to the Massage places behind it, you'll get more than a massage (and don't go there to get a massage, the girls are clueless - they are there for one thing and it isn't massage).

Good massage places:

Around the corner from Ban Cafe near the ploy (not across - Danang Massage, which was under renovation when I left - but around the corner from that). Good massage, inexpensive... not a naughty place by any means. Not fancy of course.

The city is great to explore on foot. It's not that big, so you can walk across it in less than an hour. It's somewhere around 300 years old, but you'd never know it to look at it and it's history isn't much venerated.

Have fun. I miss the place. Wish I could have seen you there. You just missed me.

#5 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 05:50

• think87

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

awesome! thanks for all that info.

I think im going to be here for a few more days. Hitting the national park today then checking out some places tonight. I ende up leaving earlier then expected for the trip so my intinerary is like a little more than a week ahead of schedule lol.

but, I really like it here and im working my way along the border to nong khai passing that phanom, NKP, etc.

After i do my month in northern laos, i think instead of doing a border run at huay xai, i think ill leave again through nong khai and work my way down to Muk again and cross back into laos there. spending another day or two in muk.

So maybe we can meet up then.

#6 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 09:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

That would be great man. Glad you enjoying it. I love muk.

#7 Posted: 24/11/2009 - 06:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.