Idle banter forum

Weight loss/gain whilst travelling

• luce_uk

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2009

Hello to all i just am interested in creating a topic where travellers can share there experiences regarding weight gain or loss whist travelling. I have always over indulged whilst in SEA but probs because i have only been on hols rather than proper backpacking....personally i hope that seeing as i will be lugging a backpack around almost every day, swimming, cycling, walking and trekking etc i hope that my body stays really trim but on the other hand, as backpackers in SEA we will be eating a very different diet e.g lots of fried foods, over indulgences, treats etc, it really could go either way!

Thank you for comments

#1 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 11:30

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I find that I neither gain nor lose weight when I'm in Asia.I put it down to the fact,that although I eat more than I normally would,I still get a regular amount of exercise.Never eat junk food,Mcdonalds,Pizza Hut etc. and eat only local food which is always with rice or noodles.Don't think either of these is particularly fattening.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2010 - 14:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For me it varies from trip to trip. The most I ever lost was 25kg during three months of travel in India, but I'd say in general for a month long trip in SE Asia, without any bad illness I'd expect to lose 4-5 kg. Mostly because I tend to snack through the day and evening rather than have staple heavy meals like I do at home. Also, as you point out, am on the go all the time -- which as far as I'm concerned, counts as exercise!

#3 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 08:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I lost three kilos when I moved here. That weight has stayed off - so my natural weight in SEA (probably due to both climate and diet) it three kilos less than if I were in Europe.

#4 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 15:21

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i lost 11kg in first 2 months in SE Asia with one heavy does of food poisoning (but that was in the first week).

i didn't feel like i was eating much less, i'd usually get around 5 meals/snacks in a day but i think the lack of things like bread,cheese,oats and other grains probably had the most impact.

Also, few countries in Asia eat meat like we do in the West, eg.huge slabs of it. Of course you can get slabs of meat if you want, whole chickens etc, on BBQs but if you go a cheap bowl of noodles - not much meat - or even a stir-fry type dish - generally not much meat. At least not compared to the west. I think, when in China, i had noodles 3 times a day for about a week. I didn't set out too, it just turned out like that...probably doesn't help that my choices are usually governed by price!

#5 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 20:37

• cdnexplorer

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009

I lost roughly 5-6 kg in a single month when I last visited SEA. I think most people will notice a similar loss in weight, depending on how much water weight you bring with you (you sweat it out fairly quickly). Also will depend on how much beer/liquor you consume whilst travelling...

#6 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 23:47

• riverspot

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

I'm the only one I Know who gains weight travelling in India. Five times there and each time the same - must be the great food!

#7 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 02:44

• jay66fr

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009

I lost about 4 kg in a month last summer in SE Asia due to the heat (I tend to be less hungry when it's hot), the healthier diet in Asia (less fat) and exercise (walking a lot).

I've already put on 3 kg since I got back home. I live in Northern France (which means rich diet with plenty of sauces, chips and so on) where I rarely walk (car commutes) and have an office job (hence little exercise).

#8 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 03:32

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

My partner and I actually gained a few kg's over two months in Thailand. At home I rarely eat white bread/pasta/rice and have a fairly low carb diet where as in Asia it was white rice and noodles for nearly every meal, plus lots of fried stuff. Plus we drank beer nearly every day which we dont do at home. It really wasnt noticeable though and could probably be avoided through a little less indulgence ;)

#9 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 10:47

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

i tend to lose a stone/stone and a half if im away for more than a month. I sweat ridiculous amounts (despite being rather healthy) i remember when me and my dad where at the zoo in hong kong sometime ago and we sweat as much as one another, there was an big male orangutan with a big sheet of cardboard over him keeping him cool he was staring at us then after a few minutes came over and put the cardboard through the bars in our direction. He clearly thought we needed it more than him.

#10 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 06:54

• Advertisement

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

I came back from about a month in Thailand and Cambodia a few kilos lighter... lost a fair bit walking around Bangkok, and then exploring Siem Reap and Angkor Wat (walking and biking), and sweating a lot while I was there.

The last part of our trip (Thai islands) was much more stationary, but Thai food is generally so healthy that it 'cancelled out' all that beer I was drinking to keep cool!

My husband, on the other hand, lost weight during the first part of the trip and then put weight on at the end - he drank a fair bit more beer than me and eat quite a lot more food!

Flashpacker that's hilarious about the orangutan!

#11 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 11:41

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

I find that the additional exercise is offset by the fantastic food and so after a month, sadly came back the same size.

We eat a lot of Asian food at home so none of us suffered from Bali Belly or whatever the equivalent in Vietnam is...

We ate "local", not often street food, but low budget restaurants and in the entire time (1 month, three meals a day), the only meal I didn't particularly enjoy was a seafood hot pot, which had some interesting and unidentifiable bits of seafood in it.

#12 Posted: 22/1/2010 - 15:32

• nzlup

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2010

Somtam : - 25kgs in 3 mths ! Man I hope u started from a good size.
    I lost 9kgs in India over 5 mths.

Unfortunately I stayed about the same from a mth in Cambodia/ Vietnam. Put it down to lots of Carbs - Rice etc and drinking wine or beer daily which i don't do at home which offset the exercise.

#13 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 15:35

• Sophia_India

Click here to learn more about Sophia_India
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

When im in Asia i eat so much more than i would when i am back at home however being on the road all day, walking and travelling with your backpack in the hot weather really does work those calories as I usually come back slimmer. Plus i tend to eat more fresh fish/fruit etc....

#14 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 19:12

• Breggs

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2010
    Location Canada

I lost 20 lbs. between mid-October and January, while rock climbing in Thailand. Even after I left Thailand and stopped climbing I didn't regain any of it. I think the constant sweating and walking to sites and general backpacking lifestyle promotes good health and weight. Between that and the fact that food there is generally more natural and healthy than in the West it seems easy to, if not lose weight, than at least be at peak health.

Rob Breger

#15 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 04:03

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's all good while you are there - just wait til you return home and are deskbound once again! :-(

#16 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 12:01

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I lost about 10lbs (4kg) in 4 months in south east asia. Its difficult, in my opinion, not to lose weight. You don't need to eat as much when its 35 degrees as you do if you live in a much cooler climate. This is especially the case if you stick to a local diet.

Rather depressingly, there seems to be quite a lot of folk who stick to eating like they do at home and I guess they could put weight on. We were constantly surprised to see foreigners (often young backpackers, I'm afraid) eating huge plates of pizza, burgers, enormous club sandwiches and chips, full english breakfasts. Why they want that stuff when its so hot; and how they manage to digest it is beyond me. The food in SEA is healthy, generally light and easy to digest and incredibly tasty. I never once got tired of it.

#17 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 18:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"The food in SEA is healthy, generally light and easy to digest and incredibly tasty. I never once got tired of it."

Nokka
    I would suggest that's because you don't live here. I eat it EVERY DAY, and have for years. And believe me, it gets old. I don't find it 'incredibly tasty" and they eat plenty of food here that is VERY unhealthy - particularly uncooked meats and poultry. Now, for tourists, I kind of see your point. They're not here long enough to get sick of it, and local cuisine would logically be part of the experience unless you're a sex tourist. So on that point, I don't get it either.

#18 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 01:13

• grado

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2011

eat fish to instead of meat, don't eat fast food, sleep early and weak up early. that's good habit to lose weight.

#19 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 14:26

• Voyagner

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

It's odd, I lost about 5kgs on my first trip which was 3 months, Indo, Thailand and Cambo. I've been back to Cambo a number of times now and I seem to gain weight there. Seems to depend who I travel with, I do a lot more walking when I go it alone.

#20 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 12:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"eat fish to instead of meat, don't eat fast food, sleep early and weak up early. that's good habit to lose weight."

I would die of boredom with this diet and schedule.

#21 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 17:29

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Ha ha! So true.

I lost weight in China (didn't eat well and walked a lot) then steadily put weight on and now, 2 years in, am around 5kg heavier. I put this down to lack of exercise (I was a gym bunny back home) and too much beer (it's cheap). Sounds like I'm bucking the trend, damn it.

#22 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 18:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sarah, start dancing and you'll get your exercise. Salsa, baby, salsa.

#23 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 18:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Weight GAIN health centres??? ... By insearchofsunrise on 31 Mar 2008 1 2457 5 Oct 2008
Alternative health spas for weight GAIN ... By insearchofsunrise on 4 Apr 2008 2 1957 6 Apr 2008
MONEY WORRIES WHILST TRAVELLING!! ... By potta_boro on 3 May 2011 1 3127 3 May 2011
Ladies...would you want cheap beauty treatments whilst travelling? ... By char86 on 7 Jun 2013 6 1666 19 Jun 2013