Idle banter forum

Travelling music

• steve74

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2010

Does anyone have any particular favourite music they love to listen to when on the road? I love to listen to music when on a bus journey watching the world go by outside the window. A particular favourite of mine for this is the Into the Wild soundtrack by Eddie Vedder. How about you?

#1 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 17:01

• Advertisement

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

Into the Wild soundtrack is a really good call for road music. Love old punk/post-punk on the road: Meat Puppets, the Fall, Wire, Gang of Four, Soft Boys, Gun Club, the Replacements, the Damned, Birthday Party/Nick Cave. Also really dig Big Star when out and about. Cheap Trick. Can. Neil Young. Grateful Dead. Tom Waits. Bill Laswell. Sun City Girls. We have a solid collection of folk and pop from all over South East Asia, so always have some regionally appropriate tunes on hand and carry along burned CDs to give out to local folks we meet along the way.

#2 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 20:58

• steve74

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2010

I really like the idea of having local music for the place you're travelling in. I'll be heading to South East Asia later in the year so you'll have to recommend some!

#3 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 21:19

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004

the bizarre and amazing Sublime Frequencies label can be thanked for much of our collection of SEAsian music, run by well-traveled Sun City Girl Alan Bishop. Check out their offerings Sublime Frequecies, order online from Forced Exposure

#4 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 21:43

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004

PS~also easy to pick up CDs along the way

#5 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 21:44

• steve74

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2010

Nice one!

#6 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 01:59

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Steve74:

"I really like the idea of having local music for the place you're travelling in."

Yes, indeed. Apropos of that, here's a couple of suggestions for travel through Cambodia (newly come to me):

> soundtrack to the film "City of Ghosts" (filmed mostly in Phnom Penh and Kep, and the movie itself is worth a serious watch).
    > cross-cultural suggestion: Dengue Fever (the band, not the illness). LA-based group, Cambodian singer, many re-makes of 60's and 70's (pre-Khmer Rouge) Khmer pop/rock songs ... some of it is like surf guitar goes to Phnom Penh.

In any case, I think you need different moods of music for the differing moods of travel, no?

Have fun with it, and happy travels!

#7 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 10:31

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

I managed to leave home with a set of loudspeakers, fancy headset, an iPod charger, an iPod charger adapter... but left the iPod in the bathroom (d'oh!) so I got a CD player in BKK & bought my music along the way.

I was really impressed by a place in Phnom Penh - I'm struggling to remember the name but it was advertised all over the place in the lakeside area. They had the most comprehensive mp3 assortment I've seen anywhere.

I was listening to Eddie Vedder, Fleet Foxes, Radiohead's 'In Rainbows', Radio1 Live Sessions and a little known band called The Durutti Column which do some fantasticly atmospheric music. Then I bought a guitar and all hell broke loose.

Still wish I'd had my iPod though... :)

FSH

#8 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 16:59

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Cunningmcfar, got to agree with Tom Waits. its prety much the best thing to have on while your floating about.

#9 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 19:21

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Re City of Ghosts, some of that soundtrack features music from the Cambodia Rocks compilation. You can download them all from here:
    http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/12/cambodian-rocks.html

It is a cracking collection of music and I used one of the tracks as the backgrounder for my first stab as video, which you can see here.

#10 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 08:36

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Great ... thanks for the link, Somtam!

Nice little video, by the way, and the music suits.

#11 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 09:10

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004

yup, the Cambodian Rocks series, well, rocks. Sinn Sithamouth is a genius, Ros Sereysothea as well. There are a couple of films about them and the the Khmer rock scene, The Golden Voice and Don't Think I've Forgotten. Haven't seen them yet, but I here's a trailer for Don't Think I've Forgotten: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGFI6AH9KJ8

#12 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 10:29

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004

a longer version of that trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGFI6AH9KJ8

#13 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 10:43

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004

#14 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 10:45

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

CunningMcFar: Great trailer! Thanks for sharing.

It's amazing to see how Cambodian culture flourished, in new directions, in the 60's and 70's. This has to do with music, and also with architecture (see http://www.vannmolyvannproject.org/Home_Page.html and also http://newkhmerarchitecture.blogspot.com/2008/09/teacher-training-college-russian.html ).

And it was all brought to a bloody end by the Khmer Rouge.........

#15 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 11:14

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004

"I never travel far, without a little Big Star"

RIP Alex Chilton

#16 Posted: 20/3/2010 - 10:28

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

He lived through a lot ... and he was only 59.

#17 Posted: 20/3/2010 - 11:13

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you're into music, and will be in Hanoi in May, there is an international music festival on. Dengue Fever (amongst many others are playing).

More info here: http://www.camafestival.com/indexen.html

Thanks for all the posts above. I have been spending time tracking down the music from City of Ghosts, Dengue Fever - and reading a bit about the Khmer music of the 60's and 70's. Interesting stuff!

#18 Posted: 1/4/2010 - 02:02

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

busylizzy: Thanks for the information! I'm not going to be that way until December and January. Too bad --- I was just saying this morning, how great it would be if Dengue Fever were to be playing a gig in Phnom Penh when we're there..........

Have fun with your musical explorations. That 60's and 70's Khmer music is very cool, no?

#19 Posted: 1/4/2010 - 08:15

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

One other thing: All the original music would've been cut on vinyl, of course. If you come across a source for any of that, or for originals transferred to digital/CD, please pass it on.

Happy travels!

#20 Posted: 1/4/2010 - 08:18

• Sophia_India

Click here to learn more about Sophia_India
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I like to have a selection of music as what i listen to depends on my mood or the scenery or the feel of a place. for example in Goa i listened to a lot of trance and beach house.

#21 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 18:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.