Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2013

#1 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 04:03

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have a number of Indian friends from the dance scene. According to them India is not a safe society for women period - travellers or otherwise.

#2 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 04:29

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Yes. 23,582 reported rape cases in India in 2011. I could probably extend my concerns beyond individual female travellers and consider the issue in a wider perspective.

#3 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 18:46

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

The sad part about this is the attitude of some Indians when you bring this up on a public forum, they attack you and point to the rapes in your own country? They live in a bubble, even denying "eve teasing" exists. There view of western women is another story all together.

#4 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 06:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I spent three months in India in 1993, and the first week or so I travelled with three blond German girls who had already been there for some time already. I'll never forget the day we pulled into a train station and after a couple of minutes the girls started cracking up and taking pics. I looked over to see a guy standing on the platform, in front of their window, looking at them and masturbating.

Seriously.

To be fair I was a pretty green traveller at the time, but I.will.never.forget.it. The girls said it happened regularly and by the stage I met up with them they said they had a whole collection of pics of "Indian willies" as they called them (luckily this was before digi cameras, so I wasn't shown the pics) -- not that I needed to as there was a guy beating off right in front of me.

Nobody interfered with the guy. There were plenty of men (and women) standing on the platform who could have intervened. Nobody did. The guy wasn't (at least obviously) deranged, though you gotta wonder.

The girls were quite ambivalent about it, but when that kinda of behaviour is seen as either acceptable or at least warrants a blind eye, it's not a stretch to see tragedies like the above unfolding.

Female travellers I met in India routinely complained about groping on buses and so on and I imagine it easily escalates depending on the situation.

Despite this India remains a very popular place for solo women travellers -- something I find it difficult to reconcile really.

#5 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 06:42

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Wow, what a story, if you ever posted this in the India group on CS you'd be bombarded with hate messages -lol. I spent 3 months in India and believe me after India, SEA is a walk in the park. Indian men are also notorious for contacting female users on CS and offering to show them around and inviting them to their country, most of the time their intentions are quite obvious.

#6 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 13:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The SMH has another piece on this topic today, stating "Why India isn't safe for women travellers"

The author finishes with:

"Amid all the politics, it is important to think of the women not only in India but around the world who instantly thought: "What if that were me?" I reasoned that, at any time in India, it very easily could have been."

As has already been pointed out, this isn't a new development in India, but I think that final paragraph will resonate with many.

#7 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 18:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry to keep bouncing this up, but the SMH (which ran the piece in my previous post) has today run a counterpoint which contains a lot of solid advice -- not just for India -- not just for men really -- to keep safe while travelling. Why women travellers should not avoid India

"The single most important thing to pack, however, is confidence. Walk purposefully, look as if you know what you're doing, and be ready to call out bad behaviour, and you'll find the worst of it passes you by."

Absolutely.

#8 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 18:55

• kaercher

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2009

I dont know the exact number, but I guess the number of rapes per 100.000 people in India is below that of most countries.
    I visited India last year with my sister, and we felt safe all the time. Maybe we were just lucky, but I rather think not.

#9 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 20:38

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Here is another perspective from a female traveller.

http://travel.cnn.com/female-solo-travel-india-218191

#10 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 07:45

• Advertisement

• Warte

Joined Travelfish
    25th March, 2013

After reading this article I'll better find some male-friend for my journey...

#11 Posted: 25/3/2013 - 15:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Some male friends with guns...

#12 Posted: 25/3/2013 - 21:29

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

A few years ago I was in Delhi I was 60 years of age. Two youngish American girls approached me in the hotel where I was staying. They asked if I would go out and see the sights with them and later do dinner. I thought it was because of my boyish good looks and charming demeanour. I was so wrong, they had been harassed by men and needed a male companion to deflect the unwanted attention.

While in Agra Fort an Indian male was staring at the Western females and masturbating openly through his trousers. I pointed this out to a security person, he responded by saying he is harmless and does it all the time.

I love India but they have to change the attitudes towards women.

#13 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 09:58

• gauravks

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013
    Location India

As an Indian I will suggest India is safe for tourism. But some kind of disgusting & @#&% peoples are responsible for that. ****! Everyday huge numbers of tourist comes from abroad to visit India and they don't face any problem.

Exception is Exceptional!!

#14 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 03:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I love India but they have to change the attitudes towards women."

No they don't. Who's going to make them?

#15 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 11:53

• Rupali

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2014

Women’s rights groups claim crimes against tourists are far more likely to be investigated than those against Indian women and girls, who face being publicly shamed and ostracised if they try to report an attack.

#16 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 06:49

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Indian government provide full security to foreigners.
    Sorry, but NO government can achieve that. They may say it, and may even foolishly believe it, but there is no way they can promise this. Shouldn't they provide security for their own people as well?

#17 Posted: 4/4/2014 - 13:48

• brucewayne1-

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014

This type of this keep happening in India but i feel it is due to some anti social elements and the entire country should not be judged upom it,

#18 Posted: 11/6/2014 - 06:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.