admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There's good reason that a standard India tourist visa allows you to stay for six months -- the subcontinent has a lot to see.

Travellers with limited time usually head to the north to the "Golden Triangle" to check-off iconic sites like the Taj Mahal, Delhi's Red Fort and the pink city of Jaipur. That said, each of India's 28 states has its own treasures and it's worth maxing out your holiday leave so you can bathe in the sacred water of the Ganges in Varanasi, join a camel safari to the deserts of Rajahsthan, soak up the sun at the beaches of Goa, sip tea at the hill station of Darjeeling, trek for tigers at one of the national parks or hire a houseboat to explore the serene backwaters of Kerala.

As India is a large country and overland travel is quite slow, you'll want to take advantage of the numerous domestic budget airlines for long distances. India also offers some spectacular train journeys at every comfort level, from the "Palace on Wheels" luxury sleeper train to joining frugal locals who ride for free on the rooftop.

Perhaps it's the perpetual crowds, noise, scams, begging, and, for women, leering, but India has an uncanny ability to frazzle the nerves of even the most seasoned travellers. When India pushes you to your limits remember that, in hindsight, the experience will have been worth the headaches, rip-offs and Delhi belly (traveller's diarrhoea).

India is one of the world's great budget travel destinations and ascetics can scrape by on US$20 a day staying in simple guesthouses and subsisting on dhal (lentil curry) and rice. A slightly higher budget of US$30-50 a day will allow you a lot more creature comforts including autorickshaws, a hot shower, three gut-busting meals a day and a few bottle of Kingfisher beer. With a budget of more than US$200 a day you can be treated like a Maharaja yourself and be waited on hand and foot at fine hotels.

#1 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 19:20

• Advertisement

• subrato_sah-
    a37

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2013

I am a Bangladeshi. My hobby is traveling. I have traveled many places in our country.
    Now I want to travel in India. Taj Mahal attracts me most. Very soon I will come in India to visit Taj Mahal.

#2 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 09:32

• darrenpete

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2013

ndian culture is a merge of various cultures across the world, at different points in history and also its own rich traditions. India has people from all religions and walks of life living together in harmony. India being the birth place of many religions like Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism, there is freedom to worship and practice any religion throughout the country. In times of calamity as well as celebrations, all religions come together and share the feelings of one another.

#3 Posted: 2/5/2013 - 00:33

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2013/04/2013430135742486493.html

Another negative for tourism in the subcontinent. This is sick and it is becoming ever more prevalent, or so it seems. I for one would have no notion of going here now and spending my hard earned cash when it seems so many people (yes, a minority, but a sizeable one it seems) are involved in these acts and their subsequent cover-up/lack of thorough investigation.

Women and children are clearly often as the **** on your shoe.

#4 Posted: 2/5/2013 - 08:08

• wanderingwi-
    ll

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

This really is a beautiful country to visit and although it is a shame that such terrible crimes take place, they also take place in the Wesern world too and they should not be a reason not to visit a country as if you are sensible you should be safe. Common sense goes a long way! India has such stunning scenery, beautiful colours all over, interesting markets, elephants and monkeys are a part of everyday life and there are beautiful palaces and other attractions such as the Amber Fort, Taj Mahal, Water Palace and much more! Such a wonderful culture and people and beautiful place.

#5 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 05:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.