India forum

planning for a trip to india -need help

• prat1

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2013

Hi

I am planning for an Indian tour.But I am unaware of anything regarding India.Kindly help me out.I want to visit all the popular destinations too.How should I plan out?
    thanks

#1 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 23:33

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Prat1,

"How should I plan it out?" That's a simple answer:

1) Get a guidebook or find a website(s) that covers travel in India

2) Read it

No one's going to organise your trip for you. Do your basic research, and come back when you've got some specific questions and we'll try to help.

Take care

#2 Posted: 10/9/2013 - 01:39

• NadiaMS

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2013

Hi there!
    If this is your first time in India, stick to the classics, do the so called Golden triangle - Agra, Delhi, Jaipur!
    If you are short on time don't spend too much time in Delhi. There is a lot to be seen but it is such a hectic city that it might put you off. If you choose to do it, leave it for last.
    Jaipur is THE place to buy local crafts, also don't miss the wind palace there. You can also venture further into the dessert, ride a camel, etc.
    In Agra you don't need more than one full day with a good guide/driver. You can see Taj in the morning and do the rest in the afternoon.
    I also visited Amritsar and the Waga border, which was one of the most fun things in India, but I hear they closed since, so check.
    Varanasi is also nice but maybe leave it for your second visit to India. By the way there will be a second visit, everybody returns to India:)
    If you want to go south I would recommend you stay away from touristy Goa and do Kerala instead. Don't miss the backwaters near Allepy and don't do it in a motor boat, takes away half the pleasure. For New Years Eve I would recommend Fort Cochin. There is a large festival on Jan 1st and it is fun.
    You can go everywhere in a train, but book in advance if you want to ride in the nice AC cars. If not, you can always hop in the overcrowded second class for a few cents. There is a wonderful website called seat61.com that will explain all about trains in India. If you want a car with a driver, check the local tourist office. We hired a car on several occasions and it costs about 100 USD for 500 km which is not bad for 3 ppl. ricksha drivers/ guides will wait at the train station just pick one and arrange for him to come on the next day and drive you around.
    Also book your accommodations in advance if there on New Year's Eve.
    And last but not least, stay away from meat and fresh vegetables, drink only bottled water and masala tea, not even coffee.
    And have fun!

#3 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 00:57

• SuchitMangal

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2013

Hello,

India is a place to be. It has a lot to offer and explore. I can understand how difficult it must be for you to decide when and where to go when you know nothing about India. I would like to suggest you to go through some India travel forums, blogs and facebook pages. All this will help you know what are must visit places. Like I know, Kerala, Rajasthan, Goa, Kashmir, and Leh Ladakh are few places not to be missed in India. From personal experiences, I would suggest you to start from Kerala. It is known as God's own country due to its rich heritage and amazing nature. Good Luck.

#4 Posted: 18/11/2013 - 01:48

• swekshaijdv

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2013

hi,
    if you are planning to visit india or any country so it is very important to do some research and plan your trip through any travel company because they will guide you in a better way.
    Thank You

#5 Posted: 19/11/2013 - 01:18

• cybermutiny

Click here to learn more about cybermutiny
    Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2013
    Location Thailand

NadiaMS advised going to the "Golden Triangle", one of the most well-trodden routes in India. Many people will probably tell you the same.

However, I must respectfully disagree with this advise. Delhi is a famously dirty, stressful place filled with pollution and scam artists (yes, there are beautiful historical sites too). Jaipur is a city filled with touts where you will spend 90% of your time saying "no" to people who are trying to sell you handicrafts (unless your goal on this trip is to go shopping... in that case, Jaipur is a good place for you). Agra smells like a septic tank, is dirty and uncivilized (but it has the Taj Mahal, one of the most beautiful buildings in the world).

Prat1, you need to give some serious thought about what "kind" of trip you want to have in India because there is so much to experience. I don't know what you are looking for, but let me give you an alternative recommendation: visit Southern India. In South India you will have much less stress and much more enjoyment. The state of Kerala is famously beautiful, as is Goa. There are several ex-colonial ports in Southern India that have an exotic mix of Indian and European charm. Check more about that in a guide book, as others have mentioned.

#6 Posted: 10/12/2013 - 08:51

• gauravks

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013
    Location India

March to May(summer), October to February(winter), is the best time to visit Goa. Avoid June to September cause of rainy season.

#7 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 03:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.