India forum

Kashmir in the Winter

• nufan33

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2013

i would love to find my way to kashmir this winter during my backpacking tour of a few countries. Ive read that winter isnt really the best time for travel there. I cant find much info on Kashmir. can anyone help with some information. thanks.

#1 Posted: 13/10/2013 - 22:37

• Advertisement

• memorablein-
    dia

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2013

Dear Nufan

Please note that best time to Visit India from October to March.. as you would like to visit Kashmir ... we recommended to you visit Kashmir in Winter because you can see snow fall there .. and Kashmir valley charm on peak of winter time.. you will have unique experience of stay in houseboat.. you can visit most popular palace such as Srinagar , Gulamrg,Sonmarg ,Pahalgam etc .. Kashmir also called paradise on earth ..
    you should be visit once if you have to visit India.

Cheers
    Raj

#2 Posted: 25/10/2013 - 12:01

• deepak2789

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2013
    Location India

Hi nufan, If you are visiting first time to kashmir then you should visit in Nov or after January, During Dec & Jan both are the coldest month and at that time there would be huge snowfall and the Dal lake will be freeze due to cold. So I would like to recommend you visit in Feb or after February. That would be a great time to visit there lots of places such as Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Sonamarg and also enjoy the ride of Dal Lake. From there you can also visit to Maa Vaishno Devi temple which is a religious destination there.

#3 Posted: 19/11/2013 - 02:40

• swekshaijdv

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2013

hi nufan
    Winter is best time to visit kashmir because at this time you see the snow fall also.

#4 Posted: 20/11/2013 - 00:46

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Your call but I wouldn't go:

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office advise against all travel to Jammu and Kashmir with the exception of the cities of Jammu and Srinagar, travel by air to the cities of Jammu and Srinagar, travel between these two cities on the Jammu-Srinagar national highway and travel within the region of Ladakh. The tourist destinations of Phalgam, Gulmarg and Sonamarg fall within the areas of Kashmir to which the FCO currently advise against all travel.

#5 Posted: 20/11/2013 - 08:41

• moissessadam

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2013

i think winter is the best season to tour to kashmir.

#6 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 11:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The best time to visit Kashmir is when the conflict between the Hindus and Muslims comes to an end. No point in becoming someone elses cannon fodder for their conflict.

And winter? Snow fall? Hmmmm, I hate the snow. Crap is cold as hell.

#7 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 12:13

• nufan32

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2012

interesting. ill have to feel it out when i get to india. see what the situations like at the time. maybe around the beginning of feb. thanks.

#8 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 19:55

• parveen7

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2013

Yes winter is the best time. U can also see snow fall in winter..

#9 Posted: 14/12/2013 - 06:50

• nufan32

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2012

i live in northern canada. its been -40 C for the last 2 weeks with lots of snow. Snow is not much of a selling point for me, I'm more interested in the beauty and the people of the region.

#10 Posted: 14/12/2013 - 21:28

• Advertisement

• gauravks

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013
    Location India

If you want to visit Kashmir last of December or earlier of Jan and Feb, then it will be a great choice. You can enjoy everything in this season, and winter is the best time to tourism in Kashmir. And it is also safe from terrorism activities.

#11 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 03:15

• tejayasarapu

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2013

i think it will the best place to you visit Kashmir in Winter because you can see snow fall there .. so go and enjoy there

#12 Posted: 30/12/2013 - 02:23

• gauravks

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013
    Location India

Yes, best time is winter for travel in Kashmir. But weather could be too chilly, may be dipp to -5'C to -10'C.

#13 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 04:38

• charu0802

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2014

Kashmir is beautiful in winters. I visited two years back in winters, would to love to go again if get a chance.

#14 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 07:37

• herryjohn

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2014

kashmir is a beautiful place but in winter its looks amazing.

#15 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 00:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Inn case anyone is unaware, and apparently some are, this is a serious conflict zone. While it's true the conflict is colder now than it was two decades ago, it's still not happy days in Kashmir. I'd put this on my "Let's go when the conflict is sorted out" list and there's no risk of beheading because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

#16 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 11:01

• Rupali

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2014

Hi Nufan,
    November to March is the best season to visit kashmir because at this time you can see the snow fall also. Don't think more go and enjoy your life with your family and friends.

#17 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 03:26

• vikash766

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2014

Hello Nufan33

Kashmir is accessible throughout the year but winter is known as off season for jammu and kashmir region .because heavy snowfall could be anytime . after all this kashmir is also first choice for adventure lover because some events is also happened during winters like helli skiing, etc. which is possible only in winter. so if you are adventure lover don't worry you can make plan in winter otherwise summer season is perfect.

You can explore lot of places in summers as compare to winter . so summers tour is the best idea.

Thank You
    Vikash

#18 Posted: 11/4/2014 - 00:56

• SmithTim

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2014

Kashmir is a paradise on earth and one of the most beautiful and wonderland in the northern most Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir.The best time to visit Kashmir is during the months of March to October.

During this period the weather conditions in Kashmir are at their best. This period covers three seasons in Kashmir i.e., Spring (February to March), Summers (May to July) Monsoon (August to September) Autumn (October to November) and Winter(December to January).

Best Places to Visit in Kashmir - Srinagar, Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Sonamarg, Anantnag, Lamayuru, Hemis, Pulwama, Vaishno Devi,Patnitop, Baisaran,Dal Lake,Shankaracharya Hill,Betab Valley,Yousmarg,Pari Mahal,Ranbireshwar Temple,Raghunath Temple,Bahu Fort & Gardens,Kokernag,Tulip Garden.

#19 Posted: 14/4/2014 - 06:45

• brucewayne1-

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014

Kashmir in India is just like heaven on earth and its extremely beautiful .

#20 Posted: 26/5/2014 - 05:53

• rajneeshkrm

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2014

Winter is the best time for tour to Kashmir because in winter you can see snow fall. That time u see real beauty of Kashmir it like as heaven.

#21 Posted: 10/6/2014 - 06:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.