India forum

Laundromats in India???

• SamanthaThom

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2014

Hello Community,

I am trying to identify laundromats in a number of cities in India. Can anyone help?

I am a Relocation Manager for a large multinational company based in the U.S. We have some executives and their families (spouses, partners, kids, etc.) moving to quite a few cities around the world later on this year. It is part of my job to help the families sort out some details.

Self-service laundromats are the first thing on my to-do list. I need to identify:

1) Self-service or coin-operated laundromats only (where they can wash/dry their clothes themselves).
    2) Larger machines (and the more the better).
    3) 24 hour laundromats (this is preferable but not required - longer hours of operation are better).

Here are my cities:

Mumbai / Calcutta / Delhi / Chennai / Bangalore / Hyderabad / Pune / Ahmadabad / Surat / Kanpur

If anyone in the community has any reliable knowledge about any laundromats in any of those cities, please let me know. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Samantha

#1 Posted: 1/5/2014 - 12:18

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Samantha,

Laundromats are certainly popular in the west, but my experience in Asia, as an expat, on short-term work assignments, and as a tourist is to use a laundry service. I've used everything from the mom & pop place at the corner who do laundry by the KG, to the expensive service associated with 4-star service apartments.

My apartment in Bangkok, for example, had a washer and dryer right in the unit. I used them occasionally, but for the most part my maid did the laundry. On a two-month assignment in Cambodia, laundry service was included with my room. On another short assignment in Jakarta, the hotel picked up my laundry twice a week and delivered it washed and folded to my room for a very reasonable fee.

I'd be surprised in a place like India if there were not more laundry service places than laundromats that would be appropriate for expats. The quality of these laundry services is good and the price very affordable, particularly compared to U.S. prices.

Because of that, the better information to collect might be on laundry services and prices rather than laundromats themselves.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 1/5/2014 - 14:31

• SamanthaThom

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2014

Thank you very much for that advice. Appreciate it!
    Samantha

#3 Posted: 1/5/2014 - 14:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.