India forum

Yoga, ayurveda, vipassana, permaculture - looking for places and people

• gajasa

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2014

Hello everyone,
    it will me my forth travel to India and the first time I look for info on a forum in advance. I have the experience of three wonderful unprepared long journeys to India but it's been ten years ago and I'd appreciate some fresh insight and suggestions. I will perhaps be there from September / October on for 6 months and I look for places where I can practice and study yoga in the traditional way (outside of the main big schools flooded with westerners), perhaps do some Vipassana retreats or retreats in Buddhists temples, work with children (teach Yoga, English, body awareness etc), get involved with small scale permaculture, self sustainable centres, learn Ayurvedic cooking etc. I prefer small to big institutions, cities, temples, retreats. I love home made Indian food and can cook some myself. In the past I very much enjoyed places like Benares, Shantiniketan, Kerala, the walk to Gangotri/Tapovan, a quiet village in Goa (forgot the name) and more. At times I stayed with locals and loved it. Perhaps I want to explore more the South this time (was traveling mostly North previously). I appreciate addresses of clean and quiet places to rent for a week or two, the kind of ambiance far form traffic noise, suited for reading/writing and practicing yoga, cooking at home. I am interested in joining Krishnamurti and Montessori schools, art / dance / yoga / martial arts schools and other creative activities for children. Would love to get in touch with local people involved with such work. Thanks for sharing your experience, if you came across places you think I'd like to check up.
    Best wishes!

#1 Posted: 22/6/2014 - 02:52

• Advertisement

• yomanvin

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2012
    Location India

The only difference that's happened since your last travel to India is that most things are now available online whether it is a course in meditation or art school. You can just google them and email. I'd recommend you couchsurf to get together with the locals for a better experience. Vipasana courses I can recommend in Himachal Pradesh as a friend of mine had recently attended the 10 day course there and was very happy with it.

#2 Posted: 26/6/2014 - 05:08

• avneet

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2014

Hy,
    According to me, India has two places where Yoga and Meditation are done in a good way-Kerala and Rishikesh.But it is true that they are overcrowded by foreigners.The best place to meditate are the banks of River Ganga in the Himalayas.They are in the Northern part of India and I not focusing on Rishikesh rather any region near this river.The climate their is cool and peace-giving.

In the south,you should visit Kerala and try visiting villages of that place,as their are many villages where ayurveda and Yoga are very popular and done in the traditional way.You could learn a lot from the people there.You should visit Kerala as living there is not a big problem as the rent is affordable,life is quite simple there,its just that when you would be in south you would only be served dosa,idli,sambhar and dishes cooked in coconut oil.I mean its not bad its just that eating it for one day is fine but everyday same thing can make you pack up and leave.

#3 Posted: 26/6/2014 - 07:14

• gajasa

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2014

@ yomanvin : thank you for the Himachal Pradesh Vipassana tip. I keep it in mind. Yes, everything is on internet of course, but then the risk is of making choices based on the marketing / image they knew to create. I had some nice couchsurfing experiences in Europe so why not, I'll try in India as well.

@ avneet : thanks for the tips! it all make sense what you say with my previous experiences. If you could name some names of villages in Kerala, I'll note them and look them up.

#4 Posted: 26/6/2014 - 12:15

• foreverforw-
    ard

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2014

avneet, thanks for the infor regarding kerala. I'll be visiting there in afew weeks and we are eager to practice meditation and yoga

#5 Posted: 4/7/2014 - 18:51

• northeast12

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2014

I think kerala is a good place.rishikesh,haridwar,gujarat,orissa are also some of the good places for your likings.

#6 Posted: 29/7/2014 - 05:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best places to meet people? ... By Chewy1 on 5 Feb 2014 7 1465 6 Apr 2014
High risk places people should avoid ... By MADMAC on 1 Aug 2009 3 3160 1 Aug 2009