Southeast Asia forum

3-4 week trip to Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

• antoinetiux

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

I am planning to take a month maximum to travel to all these places and I need suggestions for itineraries and routes! Ideally, I would like to start my trip in Bali, Indonesia and end it in Bangkok, Thailand since I am flying from Los Angeles. Would really appreciate any suggestions.

#1 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 12:57

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Honestly? This is a lot of ground to cover. It would be akin to me saying I have four months and I plan to visit Canada, the US, Mexico and Cuba. That's a huge area and without some help about what your interests are and what you want to do on your vacation, it's a needle in a haystack.

#2 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 14:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I just spent 5 months in the 4 countries that you mentioned. I agree with MadMac - you are trying to cover far too much ground in too short a time.
    Your trip will be far more enjoyable and rewarding by just limiting yourself to one or two countries at the most!

The last thing you want to do is to spend one week of your four just travelling from place to place - and that is what you would end up doing.

You can still have an awesome time by focussing on a smaller area. My suggestion would be Thailand (3 weeks) and Cambodia (1 week) - or maybe two weeks each. The are close to each other, and local transport is very good. Alternatively, just spend the one month in Vietnam.

If you want help with an itinerary, you need to let us know what things interest you. There is no point in me or Madmac detailing a 4-week itinerary of the temples of Thailand and Cambodia to find out you would rather be bumming around on a beach!

Hope this is vaguely helpful!

#3 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 17:37

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

+ 3 on the amount of ground you're trying to cover. I'd say just pick one. Thailand for example is a great place to start. Its easy to get about and quite diverse - massaive 24/7 sensory overload city, huge amount of beautiful beaches to suit every taste (party or chill out and everything inbetween), bags of culture, incredible food, jungles, mountains,villages, wildlife, men, women, men that look like women and much, much more.

I've been to SE Asia a few times now and the last time I went I went for just 2 weeks. This for me was a mistake because by the time I had to leave it felt like I was just settling in. I'd never again go for less than a month. If you try to squeeze all these countries into a month you will regret it. You'll be in such a rush that the whole experience will pass you by!

Take your time and relax and you will have an amazing experience.

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 19:28

• antoinetiux

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Thank for your suggestions. We do have an idea of the places we want to visit. By saying we want to visit all those countries it doesn't mean we want to visit every piece of each country. For example, in cambodia we only want to visit 2 cities- Siem Reap and Pnohm Pen. Vietnam we are planning to only go to Central Vietnam and up North- Hoi An, Da Nang, Hue, Halong Bay, and Sapa. Thailand- Bangkok, (maybe Chian Mai), Phuket and about 2 or 3 surrounded islands. Indonesia- the only reason we really want to go there is because we definitely do not want to miss Bali-unfortunately it's kind of far from everything we want to visit. I am thinking we might need to take Indonesia out. I hope this helps out in suggesting new itinieraries. I appreciate your help.

#5 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 00:58

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I still think you are trying to cover too much, even taking out Bali.

I will assume you tend to fly across borders. Each time you you do this, you lose nearly day by the time you get to the airport, checkin, wait around for 2-3 hours, fly, go through immigration and make your way to your hotel. So if you play on making, say 5 flights, that's 5 days of relaxing travel time gone.

Don't underestimate the distance between cities in Vietnam. There is a good table in the travel guide section on this website (look under Suggested Itineraries, near the bottom). Hue to Hanoi is about 12 hours by memory; and another 1.5-2 hours or so to Halong Bay. It's not so bad if you take an over night bus or train I guess, but that can take its toll on you.

I would strongly suggest having a look at the Suggested Itinerary sections that I mentioned above. You will find these really useful to plotting some sort of route, and most importantly, get an idea of travel times. (To find them, go to the 'Before you Leave' box at the top of this page, and scroll down to the 'Trips....' section.)

And ask yourself this: do you want to be on the move every day, seeing as much as you can and ticking off your list, or do you want to be able to spend a few days just relaxing, taking in the atmosphere, mingling with a few locals, and getting some sort of appreciation of the country that you are in?

Seriously, I think you need to reconsider.

#6 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 03:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

This is probably about 14 days - give or take - of your 30 spent either in airports, bus terminals, airplanes, buses, taxis... almost half you vacation would be spent on the road - without including Bali.

#7 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 09:16

• antoinetiux

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

thanks for your comments. At this moment the help that I really need is setting up an itinerary. My quesiton wasn't really if we had time to travel to all these places. Ideally, we would like to take a month but if it's necessary we will need to extend our trip. Please help me if you have a good suggestion of routes for this trip. We would like to start the trip in Thailand. I did find many itineraries but by each country individually. I didn't find any with the places that we want to cover. Most of them include Laos and we want to skip Laos as it's not in our priority for places we want to visit. I will repeat the places we would like to see:

Thailand- Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and about 2 or 3 surrounded islands.In cambodia we only want to visit 2 cities- Siem Reap and Pnohm Pen. Vietnam we are planning to only go to Central Vietnam and up North-Hoi An, Da Nang, Hue, Halong Bay, and Sapa.

The order I was thinking of doing is Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam.

Thank you!!

#8 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 03:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Cut Vietnam and that should be about right. That's still a fair amount of travel for one month. But not too much.

#9 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 12:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 week trip Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia ... By kendall on 1 Apr 2006 2 3913 1 Apr 2006
Advice for 4 week trip to Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand ... By kelpeta on 19 Jul 2007 2 3105 25 Jul 2007
Budget- 6 Week trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By carzyyy on 26 Jun 2013 1 935 26 Jun 2013
8 week trip to Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam in June-August...your thoughts and help please? ... By mrnice88 on 25 Apr 2010 5 4604 5 Jul 2010
My 3 week trip to Thailand and Cambodia. ... By Fixman on 31 May 2011 1 2530 1 Jun 2011
how much would a 3-4 week trip to vietnam, cambodia, laos cost? ... By anjooo on 22 Jun 2010 3 6055 24 Jun 2010
WHAT IS BEST ORDER TO GO TO THESE PLACES IN VIETNAM, CAMBODIA & LAOS IN FIVE WEEK TRIP? ... By dvdwilensky on 1 Dec 2009 3 2893 12 Dec 2009
Itinerary for 7 week trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia - advice wanted ... By plawhon on 9 Nov 2007 6 5303 1 Dec 2009
need advice on routing for 8-week trip Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodja ... By Seba on 28 Apr 2009 5 3800 2 May 2009
Itinerarry for Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia an Vietnam ... By antoinetiux on 6 Apr 2010 3 3295 20 Sep 2010