Southeast Asia forum

Here we go again! 7-8wks Sept-Oct Thailand/Laos/Cambodia

• bails87

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

I know it's been done a million times before, but hey ho. So here's my plan for a 7-8 week trip from early September to late October:

Fly into Bangkok - Not long here, just a day or 2 while I sort the train for the next leg.

-Travel to Ko Tao

-Diving on Ko Tao (4 day course, so maybe a week here)

-Travel to Ko Pha Ngan - hopefully catch a party full/half/dark moon, don't really mind

-Back to mainland

-Kanchanaburi

-Chiang Mai

-Pai (maybe)

-Chiang Rai (maybe)

-Cross border at Huay Xai, Laos

-Gibbon Experience

-Vang Vieng

-Luang Prabang

-Vientiane

-Phnom Penh, Cambodia

- Siem Reap and Angkor Wat

-Maybe Ko Chang, Thailand for some beach time

-Then back to Bangkok, for a few days there before I fly back to the UK

I've tried to not overdo it, as I'd like to see plenty of places, but at the same time, I'd rather see places properly than try to squash too much in. Hence no Vietnam and only PP and Siem Reap in Cambodia. I'll save those for another trip :p

Vientiane to PP is probably the bit of the trip I'm least sure on how to do. Any tips welcome, maybe go through Pakse and Si Phan Don?

The only bits of the trip that are 'set' are the diving and the Gibbon Experience, as the diving is 4 days and I think the Gibbon X is 2 or 3. Other than that, I should be able to leave/stay in places as I feel like it.

So what do people think? Sensible? Too much? Wrong places to go at that time of year? Wrong places to go if Thailand (or Bangkok specifically) hasn't calmed down?

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 18:47

• Advertisement

• ZPeppiatt

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2010

Sounds doable to me, especially if you're willing to drop bits if necessary as well. (I think you might have Luang Prabang & Vang Vieng round the wrong way though!) I would suggest flying Vientiane to PP though - it will take ages to travel overland.

Also, maybe it's just me but I found everything took a lot longer in Laos than I'd anticipated, purely due to my own Laos-induced laziness! For instance, we broke the journey from Pakse to Si Phan Don by staying 'overnight' somewhere (might have been Champasak?) - it was a very small place with not a lot going on apart from a bus stop and a couple of noodle stands, but we still managed to end up staying 4 nights because we kept missing the bus each day...!

I'd hope things have calmed down by September (not least because I'm due to fly out there in a fortnight!) but you will be getting there just in time for election fever. If things have started to hot up again and you don't fancy venturing North, you could always just head up to Nong Khai & do the Laos stretch in reverse, then fly LP to PP/SR.

#2 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 22:10

• bails87

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

I think you're right with VV and LP, that was a typo!

I'm hoping the politcal situation will be relatively calm (well, safe) in the run up to the elections, and I'll be out 3 weeks before them anyway. It's the aftermath, with any 'disputed' results that I'd be more worried about.

To be honest, I think I'll go down to the gulf islands for probably 10-12 days in total, north to chiang mai, and then I'll probably be spending the bulk of the time in Laos and Cambodia. So if Bangkok is dangerous I can turn up the day before my flight and not venture out except when I go to the airport!

#3 Posted: 10/5/2010 - 21:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia Sept 2012 ... By RC2012 on 5 Apr 2012 4 6509 6 Apr 2012
Irish female travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Thailand June-Sept ... By mibbles on 2 May 2011 25 5076 22 Feb 2012
Thailand, Loas, Veitnam, Cambodia Sept - Dec ... By colmflanagan on 1 Aug 2012 2 803 4 Aug 2012
F 22, Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand end of july to Sept ... By cajaquiss on 23 Feb 2012 7 1366 26 Jul 2012
Thailand/Cambodia August 25th-Sept 18th ... By tm_77 on 17 Aug 2011 5 1953 13 Aug 2012