Southeast Asia forum

Staying Dry- Rain Jacket? Poncho?

• AdamZee

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2010

I am having the hardest time deciding what would be the best option as far as staying dry in the rain. I prefer jackets over ponchos but I am worried about the heat and "muggyness" while in eastern thailand, cambodia, and vietnam during the end of June through to August.
    I want to get opinions since I am having trouble finding what everyone likes. I have seen a couple rain shells from REI and Arcteryx, one Gore-tex and the eVent waterproof liners. Just not sure if it is worth 200-300 bucks just to sweat to death in them. I'm also curious if I should buy this in Asia when I get there.
    Thanks for all your help!

#1 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 02:09

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Are you doing any serious trekking?

If not, I would tend to not bother with a jacket. I carried a very cheap and nasty plastic poncho that folded up into a tiny pouch. I only used in once; the rest of the time when it rained I just sheltered under a roof, in a restaurant or wherever.

I also had a small, lightweight umbrella - but only used it once or twice. And I used it more often to keep the sun off of me then the rain!

Personally, I couldn't stand the thought of wearing any sort of raincoat over there - even with air ventilation bits in them. Get a cheap poncho to carry 'just in case'. And you can buy those cheaply over there. And look at getting a cover for your pack. I would be more concerned about keeping my stuff dry than me!

#2 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 03:56

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Yeah, don't buy a rainjacket to take. Spend the $200-300 on extra days in SE Asia. A very small umbrella can be handy. A cheap poncho can be had there, if needed. As Busylizzy said, a rain cover for your pack is more essential than a plastic coat for you. Unless you like saunas, I suppose. ;)

#3 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 08:01

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

we carry ponchos--cheap, convenient, and easily packable. Found good ones here at home in an outdoor store, large enough to fit over backpacks, under $20. Came in very handy on an Oct Cambodia trip, used many times.

#4 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 23:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Stay under cover when it rains hard... I would say that's by far the prefered course of action. I live here and I don't use rain gear. Last time I tried I got soaked anyway.

#5 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 01:18

• AdamZee

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2010

Awesome, thank you for all the help and quick responses. This is almost what I predicted but I am glad I got some definitive answers. I think I'll try to take shelter and if not possible pull out a cheap poncho.

#6 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 03:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
rain jacket? ... By worldbound on 30 Mar 2011 8 4328 1 Apr 2011