Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Starting SE Asia travel September/October, advice needed please..

Posted by Steve81 on 26/5/2010 at 03:22

Hi, just after a bit of advice if possible..
I've recently had to change my travel plans (redundancy), and will now be heading to South East Asia in September rather than November as I had oiginally planned. I plan to spend about 8 - 10 months exploring as much as possible (but not too quickly) and I'm not really bothered about going back on myself a bit etc. I've heard (perhaps incorrectly!) that september and Ocotober are not great months for SE Asia due to the rain, including the Southern Thai islands where I intended to start (typical!), so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for places/routes that would be more suited to initial travel in those months, if there are any of the Thai islands that are an exception to what I've been told around that time then even better, but I'm really happy to just go with wherever will be best. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

ps What a fantatic site this is!

#1 Steve81 has been a member since 12/3/2010. Posts: 23

Posted by SBE on 26/5/2010 at 07:07

Thailand isn't the only place with islands and it doesn't rain everywhere in SE Asia in September and October!

The Perhentians (Malaysia) will still be open in September but Indonesia is probably your best bet. There are about 17,000 islands to chose from and rainy season doesn't start there till late November/early December.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Steve81 on 27/5/2010 at 03:19

Thanks for the reply, mcuh appreciated. Think I'll take your advice and start off in Indonesia. Thanks again!

#3 Steve81 has been a member since 12/3/2010. Posts: 23

Posted by Mexicano31 on 27/5/2010 at 05:19

hmmm, very interesting... I might change my plans as well as I was intending to go through vietnam, laos and cambodia through spt-oct.

Can anyone shara a bit of knowledge about the best, most beautiful places in Indonesia??

cheers

#4 Mexicano31 has been a member since 8/4/2010. Posts: 27
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.