Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

26 days in SE Asia

Posted by NorwegianP on 10/6/2010 at 01:13

Hi!
We are two Norwegian guys planning out our trip to Asia in mid-July - August.
At our disposal is 26 days, and since we both are students and funds are somewhat restricted, we've decided to start and stop the trip in Bangkok, Thailand because the flight price is the cheapest to this airport.

From here we are a bit blank, but have been checking out the option to go something like
Vientiane (Laos)
Savannakhet
Hoi An (Vietnam)
Nha Trang
Ho Chi Minh/Saigon
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
Siem Reap
And then back to Bangkok
http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/laos-vietnam-cambodia

Now, the questions:
**Should we buy flight tickets home in advance or from Bangkok?**
Are there any places you would derive from this example and make other towns/attractions?
Are there any tricky points in traveling this route, what to avoid and stuff?
Is it possible to go to Phu Quoc Islands from HCMC and still end up in Bangkok?
Could there be made any alterations within our time frame to also fit in Halong Bay and Hanoi? (Note: still arrival and departure from Bangkok)

We are mostly looking for a trip that capture the nature and local culture aspect of SE Asia, and not so much the big city life.

TIA TravelFisher's!

#1 NorwegianP has been a member since 10/6/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by Tilapia on 16/6/2010 at 23:40

Hei,

A couple of things.

I have always found Vientiane to be quite expensive, and not particularly good for budget-conscious travelers. Also, even though it is the capital and has some nice temples, bakeries, and great riverside areas, there are more interesting places to see in the country in my humble opinion.

I would suggest that you consider visiting fewer major centres, and focus on one or two countries. You really won't have time to see what you want to see or do what you want. You'll be spending half of your time traveling between places. 26 days is not a lot of time, especially if those days include your arrival and departure dates.

>> We are mostly looking for a trip that capture the nature and local culture aspect of SE Asia, and not so much the big city life.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,491
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 16/6/2010 at 23:55

Uh oh! I was warned not to use quotation marks, and I forgot.

Here is the rest of what I typed out ...

========================

Okay, but most of the places you've listed are big cities and major tourist centres. You will be far more likely to find what you are interested in ( ... a trip that capture the nature and local culture aspect of SE Asia, and not so much the big city life.) by traveling in more rural areas and in (and in between) smaller towns, such as in Northeastern Thailand (Isaan) and Southern Laos.

Hils og lykke til.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,491
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by NorwegianP on 18/6/2010 at 17:19

Thank you for your answers!
We've taken your words into account and tried to make up another plan, where we will only be visiting Vietnam (for the most part) and Cambodia at the end:)
Takk!

#4 NorwegianP has been a member since 10/6/2010. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.