Southeast Asia forum

26 days in SE Asia

• NorwegianP

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

Hi!
    We are two Norwegian guys planning out our trip to Asia in mid-July - August.
    At our disposal is 26 days, and since we both are students and funds are somewhat restricted, we've decided to start and stop the trip in Bangkok, Thailand because the flight price is the cheapest to this airport.

From here we are a bit blank, but have been checking out the option to go something like
    Vientiane (Laos)
    Savannakhet
    Hoi An (Vietnam)
    Nha Trang
    Ho Chi Minh/Saigon
    Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
    Siem Reap
    And then back to Bangkok
    http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/laos-vietnam-cambodia

Now, the questions:
    **Should we buy flight tickets home in advance or from Bangkok?**
    Are there any places you would derive from this example and make other towns/attractions?
    Are there any tricky points in traveling this route, what to avoid and stuff?
    Is it possible to go to Phu Quoc Islands from HCMC and still end up in Bangkok?
    Could there be made any alterations within our time frame to also fit in Halong Bay and Hanoi? (Note: still arrival and departure from Bangkok)

We are mostly looking for a trip that capture the nature and local culture aspect of SE Asia, and not so much the big city life.

TIA TravelFisher's!

#1 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 01:13

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hei,

A couple of things.

I have always found Vientiane to be quite expensive, and not particularly good for budget-conscious travelers. Also, even though it is the capital and has some nice temples, bakeries, and great riverside areas, there are more interesting places to see in the country in my humble opinion.

I would suggest that you consider visiting fewer major centres, and focus on one or two countries. You really won't have time to see what you want to see or do what you want. You'll be spending half of your time traveling between places. 26 days is not a lot of time, especially if those days include your arrival and departure dates.

>> We are mostly looking for a trip that capture the nature and local culture aspect of SE Asia, and not so much the big city life.

#2 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 23:40

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Uh oh! I was warned not to use quotation marks, and I forgot.

Here is the rest of what I typed out ...

========================

Okay, but most of the places you've listed are big cities and major tourist centres. You will be far more likely to find what you are interested in ( ... a trip that capture the nature and local culture aspect of SE Asia, and not so much the big city life.) by traveling in more rural areas and in (and in between) smaller towns, such as in Northeastern Thailand (Isaan) and Southern Laos.

Hils og lykke til.

#3 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 23:55

• NorwegianP

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

Thank you for your answers!
    We've taken your words into account and tried to make up another plan, where we will only be visiting Vietnam (for the most part) and Cambodia at the end:)
    Takk!

#4 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 17:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.